In season laminitis

nickyvn76

Hi, just wondering how many more people have problems with IR mares getting bad when in season. Coral was diagnosed with IR in August last year. We ha recurrent problems last year every time she was in season, even when she was on box rest with no grazing. I now have her minerals balanced etc and she is on correct diet, we have got insulin down to 38. She was great till 3 weeks ago when she came in season again and got pulsey and slightly footy again, drinking more etc. I have started her on chasteberry about 10 days ago. Since all these problems started her moods have been awful too. I am trying to persuade my vet to scan her ovaries and test her hormones but she doesn't see that there is a link, but I am convinced as I have kept a diary. If anyone else has these issues how do you control it?
Nicky
UK

Hi Nicky,

I did a search of the archives and found a couple of posts by Dr. Kellon that may give you some information.

# 127630
# 125305
# 122979

I need to read more on this myself since a friend's mare seems to have problems with ouchiness during her heat cycle. Last year she had an ovarian cyst that caused colicy behavior and seemed to be quite ouchy at that time too.

Barb in western CO
(with Sierra, Libby, Josie the donkey and Lola)
2005
EC List Support Team

www.ecirhorse.com