Thanks for the memories

titancowgirl

Dear Carol, Godspeed to your lovely old gentleman Mac. Having a 31 yo here
I know how much these seniors hold onto our hearts more and more as the
years go by. May your black stallion race over the Bridge now to green grass
and blue skies forever, and your heart be caressed with the loving touch of
all the memories held forever in your heart. A big hug to you and Summer.
~Grace & Flying Feature/NY /2002

Carol <calpiner@...>

We lost our wonderful 30 yr old TWH, Mac, on Sunday. He had coliced three times in 3 days, and it was obvious that it was time. I am still stunned at how quickly we lost him. Friday morning he was running hard, bucking and playful. Friday night he was colicing. We would get him stable only to lose ground hours later.

Mac came into our lives as a handsome 11 year old. I grew up reading the Black Stallion books, and he was my image of the Black: very handsome, just under 16 hands, black with a white star and snip, and incredible presence. Mac was always the herd boss of our little band. He was a bold mover, and you could almost feel the ground shake when he was running and bucking. Mac was a favorite of small children. He knew when he had a little one on his back and would be on his best behavior, taking very small steps as he walked on the lead line. He loved to have an occasional beer but he was picky about his brand. No Bud or Coors for him - he liked Rolling Rock, probably because of the horse head on the label.

Mac was diagnosed with Cushings in 2003, and I found this list a few years later. Before we found this list, Mac had foundered twice when on pasture. The information that we learned from this site helped us immensely with avoiding any additional founder episodes, tips on pergolide doses and how to deal with the veil, and advice and guidance on a number of other age related questions. What I learned here helped to make Mac's golden years happy and comfortable. Thanks to all of you and for the many hours that are spent supporting this list.

We lost our beloved mare, Abby, last Sept and we brought in a foster mare, Summer, to keep Mac company. After Mac passed away, she stood guard over him all night in our dry lot. I knew she needed a buddy, so we made arrangements for a second foster. Bucky arrived Monday afternoon, and he and Summer are still getting acquainted. Summer and Bucky are in their 20's, and both have Cushings. So the knowledge I've gained with Mac will be passed forward to both of them.

One of the things that I learned when Abby passed away was to cherish the moments that we had with Mac. We both feel very blessed to have had so many years with our beloved buddies. They will live on in our hearts in the many many happy memories of trail rides and quiet times together.

Carol
Missing my buddies in the Pacific NW

briarskingstonnet <briars@...>

Awww,Carol.
What a wonderful tribute to Mac.
I'm so sorry.

Lorna in ONtario
Support/Moderator
2002

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Carol" <calpiner@...> wrote:

[...]

We lost our wonderful 30 yr old TWH, Mac, on Sunday. We both feel very blessed to have had so many years with our beloved buddies. They will live on in our hearts in the many many happy memories of trail rides and quiet times together.
Beautiful - I can see them in my mind. Bless you for taking them in and for adopting another. These horses clearly enjoyed life in your care,

Kathleen (KFG in KCMO)
EC List Support Team/Moderator
MO - Dec 2005
http://www.ecirhorse.com/

Jami <jnrsiemsen@...>

I am so sorry for your loss. God bless you for taking on the care to help another Cushing horse in need.

Jami,Ember,and Jess
Placerville, Ca.

Karen <karen@...>

Carol
My heart aches for you. Mac was a very lucky boy to have you as his mom all these years. I'm sure you feel you were the lucky one. Fly Mac fly.

Karen,
Princess Tilly, Tommi and Koko
3-2005 Bend,Ore

Missy Libby

Carol, I am so sorry for your loss. I remember when you lost Abby and
how sad that was. The love you have shared with your horses is amazing
and emotionally moving. Every time I read that one of us has lost a
beloved companion my heart breaks. Sometimes I can't even reply thru the
tears. I've never had to deal with such a loss but can only imagine the
sadness. I am so sorry.
Missy and Abby in Maine
Nov 2008

We lost our wonderful 30 yr old TWH, Mac, on Sunday.

Nancy C

This says it all Carol:

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Carol" <calpiner@...> wrote:

One of the things that I learned when Abby passed away was to cherish the moments that >we had with Mac. We both feel very blessed to have had so many years with our beloved >buddies. They will live on in our hearts in the many many happy memories of trail rides >and quiet times together.

You gave Mac and Abby a good full life up to the end.

Thinking of you...

Nancy C in NH
February 2003
Moderator

Visit our new site:
http://www.ecirhorse.com/

Cindy McGinley

Carol,

I'm very sorry for your loss. You had Mac almost 20 years, and, though I'm sure it didn't seem so, that is a very long time for him to "get under your skin." These old guys just take our hearts with them when they go, don't they? He sounds like one of those very special horses that only come along once in a lifetime. What a wonderful tribute to your old friend, that you have these fond memories to share with the rest of us.

I know the pain is raw right now, but it will ease with time. Sending hugs from NY, and raising a glass to Mac.

With Our Deepest Sympathy,
Cindy, Alf, Connie, Dare, & Saffron
(in memory of Dusty and Red)

Amy T <aet001@...>

Carol, I'm so sorry for your loss. And so proud of you for taking in
foster horses and sharing your love and knowledge with them. Fly Free
Mac, you will be missed. Hugs and thinking of you, Amy in PA '06ish
(Misty C/IR, Herbie IR, lost beloveds on HIH site Echo, Dylan, Pebbles,
Cherry)
--- In EquineCushings@..., "Carol" <calpiner@...> wrote:

We lost our wonderful 30 yr old TWH, Mac, on
. So the knowledge I've gained with Mac will be passed forward to both
of them.

One of the things that I learned when Abby passed away was to cherish
the moments that we had with Mac. We both feel very blessed to have had
so many years with our beloved buddies. They will live on in our hearts
in the many many happy memories of trail rides and quiet times together.

Carol
Missing my buddies in the Pacific NW

Saucier Kathy

Carol,
So sorry for your loss.
Your Mac brought back many similar memories of my Magic I lost a year and a half ago.
Big black 16 H walker with white star and snip too.
Little girls fall in love with those big black horses.
And he too, in his latter years was fabulous with kids and was used in many lessons. He too knew to be ever so careful.
They are so special.
That is so wonderful of you to take in these Cushing's horses and give them the care you have learned. Bless you.
Kathy Saucier
Texas
2005

cynthia perkins <perkins_cynthia@...>

Hi, Carol,  I'm so sorry to read about your loss.  It made me remember another wonderful TWH I used to know named Mac.  If your Mac was like him, I know you definitely have a bunch of good memories to keep!

Cindy Perkins, Belleville, IL
perkins_cynthia@...

Don <don@...>

Carol, I am so happy for you and Mac that you had him and he you and all
those wonderful times together made richer by your care and the company
you had in each other.

Hugs to you, and a wave to him as he gallops off into his sunrise.

Donald, Altea, Bonnie and countless horses cared for and loved who all
appreciate you and Mac.

6/08 Pacific Northwest

Karen wrote:

Carol
My heart aches for you. Mac was a very lucky boy to have you as his
mom all these years. I'm sure you feel you were the lucky one. Fly Mac
fly.

Karen,
Princess Tilly, Tommi and Koko
3-2005 Bend,Ore

turn3barrelhorses@...

What a beautiful tribute! I'm sure his black coat looked stunning against the rainbow backdrop as he crossed The Bridge. May your other horses provide you comfort in your time of loss!

Alexis
So AZ

From: "Jami" <jnrsiemsen@...>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:14:22
To: <EquineCushings@...>
Subject: Re: [EquineCushings] Re: Thanks for the memories

I am so sorry for your loss. God bless you for taking on the care to help another Cushing horse in need.

Jami,Ember,and Jess
Placerville, Ca.

Carol,

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a horse Mac must have been. I grew up with the Black Stallion books too.

That is so kind of you to take in the two foster horses.

Barb in western CO
(with Sierra, Libby, Josie the donkey and Lola)
2005
EC List Support Team

www.ecirhorse.com

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Carol" <calpiner@...> wrote:

We lost our wonderful 30 yr old TWH, Mac, on Sunday.

Carolyn Larson

Carol, what a beautiful expression of your love for Mac. And even better, what a tribute to him and to Abby by taking in horses who need your special care. That's an honor to them - and to you.

(another) Carol and Blue in Maine
EC List Support/Moderator
Nov. 2005

em <arak331@...>

Carol, what an amazing tribute to an amazing horse. The blessings you
write of were / are reciprocal; you are an amazing horsewoman. I am so
sorry for your losses, and look forward to meeting your Beloved Beasties
when it's my time to go.

em / TN

Ronia van Gage <rvangage@...>

My thoughts are with you during this difficult time. You have the right idea....keep those memories alive forever.
May all your beloved pets rest peacefully until we meet again.......

Ronia & Dillie in Toronto