Phosphorus questions

Bonnie <bonnie.ivey@...>

My hay analysis indicates I need to add 3.5g of phosphorus to my pony's mineral ration/day.

In Canada it is tricky to find sources: you get clobbered by duty charges when things come across the border, and so many places in Canada want to sell you huge amounts, or charge a fee for repacking a smaller order.

I was happy to find Willows Agri, who sent me a nice package for a nice price *however* an analysis was included which makes me wonder whether I can use the product at all.

Monocalcium Phosphate 21%

component analysis:

Phosphorus 21% min
Calcium 15% min
flouride 2100 mg/kg max
iron 13000 mg/kg max

Will the iron make this product unsafe for an IR pony?

Is the calcium content going to unbalance the rest of my formula?

If anyone can comment, I'd be grateful. Thanks!

Bonnie Ivey, Ontario
12/08

briarskingstonnet <briars@...>

I was happy to find Willows Agri, who sent me a nice package for a nice price *however* an analysis was included which makes me wonder whether I can use the product at all.

Monocalcium Phosphate 21%
Willows are great.They are familiar with at least one 'weirdo'(my word) horse owner(me),who needs monosodium phosphate instead if di-cal,for example.
Did you ask for monosodium P, Bonnie?Just asking because they are very good(speak to Lois) about doing the right thing.

Lorna in ONtario
Support/Moderator
2002

Bonnie <bonnie.ivey@...>

No, Lorna, my mistake. I asked for "Phosphorus" for a horse, and that was what they sent. Is it usable, or should I return it and get monosodium Phosphate?

Bonnie Ivey, Ontario
12/08

briarskingstonnet <briars@...>

Is it usable, or should I return it and get monosodium Phosphate?
If it were me,Bonnie,and I had iron issues,I'd return it.That's a concern with d-calcium P, and mono-cal P.Also,for my hay the calcium would mean I'm adding to my already-high Ca.
Otherwise ,I would use it(how much did you get,though?) and get the monosodium phosphate next time.

Lorna in Ontario
Support/Moderator
2002

Bonnie <bonnie.ivey@...>

Hello Lorna,

Should this exchange be continued by private email?

I am not sure whether the iron in my hay is considered high. It's listed at 56.97 ppm.

I have 10 pounds of the monocalcium phosphate.

Bonnie Ivey, Ontario
12/08

briarskingstonnet <briars@...>

I am not sure whether the iron in my hay is considered high. It's listed at 56.97 ppm.
It's better to keep it on list,so that others can correct me if I'm leading you astray.

I would like those levels in my hay,Bonnie.
But it depends on whether or not you are dealing with iron overload with your horse.(see Files)If not,and using this doesn't mean you have to add even more phosphorus to your diet,I might be inclined to use it up and then order the monosodium phosphate.
Of course the other thing I don't know is how long this 10 pounds will last you.And how tight your diet needs to be.

Gads.I'm making things worse.

Lorna in Ontario
Support/Moderator
2002