cellulitis rt hind and rt front in IR mare - not critical - Dr. Kellon and group

turn3barrelhorses@...

I may be the only person on the planet without a digital camera
My idea- FWIW- besides the camera phone; take pictures the "old fashioned" way, with film. Even one of the disposables take surprizing clear pictures for not a lot of money. After development upload them via scanner & send them into the group.
If you don't have a scanner at home I'm sure one of the business centers such as Kinko's, could be used & here they charge a nominal fee if you're on their equipment for only a short amount of time.
I've also found the people at those types of places to be incredibly helpful with accomplishing what actually needs to be done, as I myself am very computer illiterate.

HTH!
Alexis
So AZ

cynthia perkins <perkins_cynthia@...>

Just wondering--do you have a cell phone with a camera?  That would be digital and takes pretty decent pics.

Wish I could help with the rest of the problem.  Did anyone already ask about hoof abscess(es)?  My mare is just now healing from a truly major abscess in one of her hind feet.  We spent weeks thinking she was sore or simply stocked up in her hock or fetlock because they would swell up and feel slightly warm, and she has a history of that; and we never got a pain reaction from her when we were picking her feet.  Also never saw any discharge at all.  It was an on and off thing, and strangely hit its peak a few days after we thought we had it licked. It reached a VERY advanced stage when she finally went really lame on it, and it was almost overnight and so bad we thought something might be broken.  X-rays at the vet hospital showed it was an abscess covering both sides of her heel and almost all the way around her toe.  It was deepest in the heel, so close to the coffin bone that the vet wasn't sure what they'd find when they dug it
all out.  Fortunately the infection just missed her coffin bone, but it's been slow going getting her hoof to grow back in--strangely enough taking longest in the toe.

She did start to swell some in her other hind foot after her right hind had been sore for about 3 wks., probably from transferring weight from the painful hoof.  And of course she wasn't really happy about turning either direction.

I guess mainly I wanted to back up the idea of exploring any possibility.  We sure were fooled about our mare for almost a month!

Cindy Perkins, Belleville, IL
March 2009

Linda <PapBallou@...>

it's odd that it's only the right side unless it has something to do with what side she's laying on (grabbing at straws here).

The only thing I can think of at the moment (and granted, it's not much) is that the mare has some joint/tendon/ligament issues and the cold is exacerbating the problem.

FWIW -

Linda
EC Primary Response
West Coast
May 2004

--- In EquineCushings@..., "pposey09" <pposey@...> wrote:

I may be the only person on the planet without a digital camera.
No! Tell me it's not true! OK, we'll just have to make do...

And, I may not be using the correct term. She was having a flare up when her teeth were done last. She is in a 7200 sq ft dry lot with an attached 300 ft loop...she moves at will 24/7. I mention that so you know she is not standing in a stall.

Cellulitis can be serious and usually doesn't resolve with movement. I remember when Joe was recovering from laminitis and he had quite a bit of swelling in his fetlocks when he wasn't moving as much as he used to, but it was all four. Like I said, it's odd that it's only the right side unless it has something to do with what side she's laying on (grabbing at straws here). I can't draw a straight line to anything diet related since it only involves her right feet.

Hopefully, someone else will chime in with some ideas,

Kathleen (KFG in KCMO)
EC List Support Team/Moderator
MO - Dec 2005
http://www.ecirhorse.com/

pposey09

--- In EquineCushings@..., "KFG" <katmando@...> wrote:

Can you post some pictures? I'm not sure if you're talking about true cellulitis or edema (stocking up)? The fact that it comes and goes, especially given the history (two days of bad weather and no exercise) makes me lean towards edema. Odd that it's only on the right.
Kathleen,

I may be the only person on the planet without a digital camera. And, I may not be using the correct term. She was having a flare up when her teeth were done last. That vet referred to it that way. I probably would have called it "fill". The location is above and below the fetlock joint. Noticeable to the eye and it feels a bit spongy...like "fill" in a tendon sheath. However, the joint seems to be surrounded by a little fluid as well. Not sure if it matters, but should also add those are white otherwise healthy areas - no scratches. She is in a 7200 sq ft dry lot with an attached 300 ft loop...she moves at will 24/7. I mention that so you know she is not standing in a stall.

I welcome your additional thoughts.

Paula
MT 12/09

--- In EquineCushings@..., "pposey09" <pposey@...> wrote:

Hi all,
I thought I was done with this, but apparently not. The occasional flares of cellulitis in the rt hind and to a lesser degree the rt front went away.
Last week after two days of bad weather and no exercise sessions, she was not happy circling to the right...happy to move (walk, trot, canter), just not to the right. The next day I could detect the cellulitis. Stopped everything but hay again. We just took a long walk in hand that day and she continues to improve. Yesterday we played at liberty, happy to move though still not as happy to the rt - cellulitis is gone.

Can you post some pictures? I'm not sure if you're talking about true cellulitis or edema (stocking up)? The fact that it comes and goes, especially given the history (two days of bad weather and no exercise) makes me lean towards edema. Odd that it's only on the right.

Kathleen (KFG in KCMO)
EC List Support Team/Moderator
MO - Dec 2005
http://www.ecirhorse.com/

jgpigger

HI Paula
With it being right sidedness, I'd be looking for an ulcer, either fore gut or hind gut or both. Her grabbiness would certainly lead me to believe an ulcer is the culprit, jmo. Been there. candy

Yesterday we played at liberty, happy to move though still not as happy to the rt - cellulitis is gone.

What could be going on here? No indication she was in season (and it is hard for me to tell with her), but she was definitely grumpy with this flare up.

Paula
MT 12/09

pposey09

Hi all,
I thought I was done with this, but apparently not.
Around Dec 1st I stopped feeding everything but hay - found this group - and am in the process of obtaining all I need to balance my hay. I was feeding beet pulp, Poly zinc (the correct amount by luck), poly copper - not enough, MSM, ground flax - not stableized and a detox called Vivo Animals that contains dia. earth and zeolite (read the posts on both). The occasional flares of cellulitis in the rt hind and to a lesser degree the rt front went away.

I went back on beet pulp early Jan - rinsing, soaking, rinsing - whole flax I am grinding daily, using Target IR (which she likes)while waiting for all else to arrive. Last week after two days of bad weather and no exercise sessions, she was not happy circling to the right...happy to move(walk, trot, canter), just not to the right. The next day I could detect the cellulitis. Stopped everything but hay again. We just took a long walk in hand that day and she continues to improve. Yesterday we played at liberty, happy to move though still not as happy to the rt - cellulitis is gone.

What could be going on here? Can beet pulp possibly be the problem? If so, what can I substitute safely as a medium for her minerals? A weather front passed through about then - not sure if that would be a factor. No indication she was in season (and it is hard for me to tell with her), but she was definitely grumpy with this flare up.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and insight!

Paula
MT 12/09