Boots suitable for riding

woodsarahgreen <sarah_greenwood@...>

Hi- I am looking for a pair of boots suitable for riding. I used to have a pair of old macs which did a good job but they did come off if we went faster than a trot. Are the softrides suitable for riding in? Do they withstand the mud? Before I shell out alot of money for them and shipping I would just like to know others thoughts.

Thanks

Sarah & Bess
Sept 2008 UK

Kelly <kellysbrightstar@...>

Hi,
I've used Easycare Epics for years and never had a problem with twisting or coming off. I haven't had success with Renegades. For some reason the pair I have twist on Lady's feet.

Kelly & Lady
Oregon 11/08

Hi- I am looking for a pair of boots suitable for riding. I used to have a pair of old macs which did a good job but they did come off if we went faster than a trot.

Saucier Kathy

Sarah,
These boots come highly recommended although I have no personal experience with them. Developed by an endurance rider who was tired of boots coming off, wearing out quickly or rubbing. Click on "install/remove" and then click on video. Good detailed video of how they go on. There is a measurement page on there too.
http://www.b4boots.com/index.html
(I do not sell these nor do I profit or even know anyone who profits from these, I've just heard rave revues that they are better than anything out there)
Kathy S.
2005
Texas

--- In EquineCushings@..., "woodsarahgreen" <sarah_greenwood@...> wrote:
Hi- I am looking for a pair of boots suitable for riding....

Sarah <s.w.lloyd@...>

I needed a pair of hoof boots, for my Thoroughbred who was being treated for a severe clubbed hoof (without the traditional use of shoes). I opted for Boa Boots by Easy Care Inc. Great boots; have stayed on walk/trot/canter, as well as for dressage and jumping. I like them because they have a good grip on grass and even on the road, where I do a large part of my schooling. They are quite resonably priced as well!

- Sarah

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Kelly" <kellysbrightstar@...> wrote:

Hi,
I've used Easycare Epics for years and never had a problem with twisting or coming off. I haven't had success with Renegades. For some reason the pair I have twist on Lady's feet.

Kelly & Lady
Oregon 11/08

Hi- I am looking for a pair of boots suitable for riding. I used to have a pair of old macs which did a good job but they did come off if we went faster than a trot.

mmmaaa32000 <maike_ahlgrimm@...>

Hi Sarah,
everybody has their favorite boot. I believe the best boot is the one that fits your horse's foot shape best. Chances of rubbing, twisting or coming off are much lower when foot and boot shape agree. Most boots cater towards an oval foot shape (most of the Easyboot range, Renegades, Boas). Old Macs originals and G2 are a bit rounder. I've never seen Cavallos or Soft Rides in "real life", so I don't know what they are like. This would be my first criterion of choice.
Second, there are boots without any hard parts above the hairline (Easyboot range) and those that have more than neoprene above the hairline (Old Macs, Cavallos, Boas, Renegades). Some people prefer the lower profile boots, especially for longer rides, because there's less of a chance that they will rub. This is a question of personal preference. If the boot fits well, it shouldn't rub.

Here are my personal opinions on those boots I've tried: First choice for me a Gloves, but they must fit - use a fit kit. IME, no rubs, no twists, but no good if you need more than a very thin pad. There's no hardware to break and they are very light and streamlined. Epics are more forgiving in terms of fit than Gloves, and you can use thicker pads in them. My Epics did twist occasionally, and I did lose one a few times at a gallop. Renegades: hard to get in the UK and expensive, but worked well for me, apart from an annoying clicking noise. Didn't rub or twist. I tried Old Macs G2, but they gave my horse very bad rubs in the pasterns. I think I may have tightened the straps too much, though. They didn't twist or come off. All of the above did well in terms of traction in the typical UK mud, grass and gravel. I haven't tried any of the other boots myself.
I know of at least one company here in the UK that offers boots for hire, so you can try them out. Maybe that would be a good option once you have decided which type you think would suit you best.

Maike
Dec 2008 UK

--- In EquineCushings@..., "woodsarahgreen" <sarah_greenwood@...> wrote:

Hi- I am looking for a pair of boots suitable for riding. I used to have a pair of old macs which did a good job but they did come off if we went faster than a trot. Are the softrides suitable for riding in? Do they withstand the mud? Before I shell out alot of money for them and shipping I would just like to know others thoughts.

Thanks

Sarah & Bess
Sept 2008 UK

Julie Warne <jwarne42@...>

Hello
Im new to the group, but thought I would give my input on boots :-)

I had Boa's which I really like a lot for my rescue mares sore feet.
When her foot shape changed as she continued to recover, it changed
more to an oval, so the Boa's  no longer worked for her.
I also had Cavallos. I didnt not like the Cavallos, I felt they were very clunky on
my mare. The lady I sold them too owns a Thoroughbred and she loves them.
Currently I have Easy Boot Epics. They are a good boot and suited for my mares issues.
Im able to put a 12mm pad in them comfortably as she continues to recover.
I have had issues with them coming off if you dont make sure they are really snug.
I had to cross the laces on them to get them to lace up tight enough. Comfortable for the mare, a bit tough to get on and off with pads and crossed laces, but they are working out fine. Id like to try the Gloves, but right now she still needs the thick pad.

It really depends on the horses foot as to what will work best for you.

Julie

--- In EquineCushings@ yahoogroups. com, "woodsarahgreen" <sarah_greenwood@ ...> wrote:

Hi- I am looking for a pair of boots suitable for riding. I used to have a pair of old macs which did a good job but they did come off if we went faster than a trot. Are the softrides suitable for riding in? Do they withstand the mud? Before I shell out alot of money for them and shipping I would just like to know others thoughts.

Thanks

Sarah & Bess
Sept 2008 UK

Mischa Rose <finn_in_wales@...>

If you're in the UK Lucy at thesaddleryshop.com has boots for hire, so you can try them out. Really you need to measure just after a trim and check with carious size charts to see what fits best on paper, or for Easyboot Gloves, definately use a fit kit.

We've used most everything on a variety of horses though, over the last five years.

Boas--easy to over tighten and VERY like boats--huge big things. I do think they're a bit dated.

Easyboot Epics--we're still using these on a Welsh Cob--actally they;re pretty good even though they're an old design. They work well on bigger hooves and flared hooves because you can cinch them in where you need it--and you can put a fairly thick pad in them if you need to. We've used solemates in ours :)

Cavallos. Hmmm. The quality is a bit rubbish but you can get a nice thick pad in them and they're very easy to put on. I don't think they work that well with horses with very fine legs (huge opening up top) and unless you've got quite round feet they can twist. But theyre pretty good for remedial hooves for a while--we used ours a lot.

Easyboot bares--ripped a ligament in my hand trying to get them on. If you put the easy up buckle system on them though they work much better--like Epics--and again you can get a decent pad in them.

Renegades. I loved my Renegades but they're hard to get and they only work really for a horse with proper foot shape and ideally no issues. You can glue a thin pad in--I used thinline material, though prolite also works--but you then need a size up. Good for arabs and QHs but that's about it.....and terrible for horses that are close behind. They click. But they do come in sparkly colours......

Easyboot Gloves. Hah.....used the glue ons with Epona packing, and they were good. The removable ones...are probably the best boots ever and the horse loves them, even without pads (which don't really work unless they're v. thin) but the line between perfect fit and rubbing heel bulbs to hell is a very fine one. Definately use a fit kit, and consider making an insert with something like Epona packing material if you need pads (works with Renegades too).

Old Macs. Hmmmm.......the old style Macs probably helped save my horse's life, but they were about the only thing on the market then. The G1s...in my experience they rub, slip, turn, have no grip and are really fiddly to put on. And they get totally saturated and the velcro doesn't work properly :( But lots of people love them.

Oh dear--that was a bit of a dull geeky essay! I bet I've missed some out too :(

Mischa

--- In EquineCushings@..., "mmmaaa32000" <maike_ahlgrimm@...> wrote:

[...]

Don <don@...>

Hi Mischa,

You must have missed my moderator post today on this thread. We've moved it to ECHorsekeeping, a sister site, for the discussion of the mechanics of caring for our IR and or Cushings horses.

A short excerpt of what I said earlier:

Here is an example of the difference between ECHorsekeeping and this the
main ECIR list: ... "The metabolic effects of special hoof support would
be discussed on the main list; the how to's of obtaining, introducing
and applying boots for riding would take place on ECHorsekeeping.

Thanks for your understanding and support of both forums and their
intended purpose."

Thanks for your understanding of the housekeeping duties.

Don 06/08 Pacific Northwest U.S.
EC List Support Team

Visit the new Cushings and IR site:
http://www.ecirhorse.com/ <http://www.ecirhorse.com/>

Mischa Rose wrote:

If you're in the UK Lucy at thesaddleryshop.com has boots for hire, so you can try them out. Really you need to measure just after a trim and check with carious size charts to see what fits best on paper, or for Easyboot Gloves, definately use a fit kit.

[...]