hay test

jgpigger

HI
I got another test back on some hay, I only tested for the sugars and starches as I am trying to find an alternate hay for the girls. The test came back with low sugars, 4.7 and the starches were 1.8
I am thinking this is an okay hay to feed, right?
The only their eating now is 5.8 sugar and .8 starches. thanks
candy 2010/1 U.P. of Michigan

Lorna <briars@...>

The test came back with low sugars, 4.7 and the starches were 1.8
Sounds great to me,Candy!

How's Ellie doing??

Lorna in Ontario
Support/Moderator
2002

jgpigger

HI Lorna
Ellie is not doing good right now. While she was doing fairly well, that's not so currently.
You know all along I thought Ellie was having muscle/tendon issues, if you remember I joined the DSDL group. Well I let Ellie go outside for while to get some sun and fresh air and she was going along pretty good. Really no sign of lameness or such.
Well about a week or so ago, she started really walking like she walked when my vet diagnoised her with founder. Yesterday, her limping was so bad, I started thinking tendon/ligaments again. Her movement was the same familiar movement when she was diagnoised, and to be honest I think that we "stumpled" onto her slightly rotated feet. I really don't think that was the "big" picture.
Yesterday, I started looking and feeling for heat and swelling and really watching her walk. Again as before, there was never a digital pulse or heat in her feet. But a continued lamneness issue.
So I wrapped her legs, put blanket on her and started some homepathics for tendon issues.
Today, no change in lameness, but no more swelling and heat on her left front leg, cannon bone area. I can feel the swelling today.
So I gave her some bute, (against my better judgment, but need to get the swelling down) and put her in her stall where she will stay until I can get my vet out here, which might be weeks.
So I still beleive that the discovery of her feet were really never the problem, I think that her tendons are the primary and her feet are the secondary issues.
Any thoughts on what to do for her? I am going to town to get some heat pads and then wrap and rotate heat and ice for the day or two.
Thanks for asking, but unfortunately, we're on the roller coaster again! Darn it. candy 2010/1 U.P. of Michigan

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Lorna" <briars@...> wrote:

The test came back with low sugars, 4.7 and the starches were 1.8
Sounds great to me,Candy!

How's Ellie doing??

Lorna in Ontario
Support/Moderator
2002

Cindy McGinley

"jgpigger" <forpets@...> wrote:
if you remember I joined the DSDL group. ...
So I gave her some bute, (against my better judgment, but need to get the swelling down) and put her in her stall where she will stay until I can get my vet out here, which might be weeks.
So I still beleive that the discovery of her feet were really never the problem, I think that her tendons are the primary and her feet are the secondary issues.
Any thoughts on what to do for her? I am going to town to get some heat pads and then wrap and rotate heat and ice for the day or two.
If you think she has DSLD, then you should NOT lock her in a stall and leave her there! If you read all the information provided by the DSLD group, then you know that these horses do better when they are allowed freedom of movement as much as possible. Do you have her on the DSLD protocol?

Ice is good for flare-ups. I used ice boots on Alf for 30 minutes when he came in at night while he was having swelling. (He no longer has swelling after 2.5 years on Dr. Kellon's protocol.) Low-carb feeding is good, too, just like an IR horse. Vitamin E in an oil base or fed with oil. My Alf is currently on 10,000 IU of E, so you could probably go up to at least 5,000 IU with your mare.

If you strongly suspect DSLD, there is no reason to wait for a diagnosis. Start treating her now like a DSLD horse.

- Cindy and Alf (PPID, IR, DSLD) with entourage in NY
EC Primary Response Team
May 2006
www.blackhorseconsulting.com

Visit the new Equine Cushings site:
http://www.ecirhorse.com

jgpigger

HI Cindy
If its not DSLD and just a pulled tendon, then I will damage the tendon more by letting her move about. Kind of a catch 22 in my opinion. When she had this flare up before, my vet said it wasn't DSLD and that she's seen lots of it. So im treating this as a tendon/ligament injury which might be more like it because i think that she pulled the tendon in the mud when walking and also when they came in one day and started racing around, running, bucking and jumping straight up in the air. That behaviour was short lived as she is back down to where we started in Dec. Bummmer :( candy 2010

.

"jgpigger" <forpets@...> wrote:

<< If its not DSLD and just a pulled tendon, then I will damage the tendon more by letting her move about. Kind of a catch 22 in my opinion. When she had this flare up before, my vet said it wasn't DSLD and that she's seen lots of it. >>

I hope it's a pulled tendon, for you and your horse's sake.

While how you treat your own horse is certainly your choice, if it was my horse, I would get a definitive diagnosis immediately so I would know how to proceed from here. And in regard to your vet saying she's seen lots of DSLD, I have a little story for you: the last vet that Alf saw (number 5) for his issues actually had her personal riding horse put down a year before because of DSLD, and yet she did not recognize it for what it was. After I took him for ultrasounds and they showed positive DSLD, I told her, and she was surprised and amazed that she didn't recognize it in him. All DSLD horses present differently.

For what it's worth.

- Cindy and Alf (with entourage) in NY
EC Primary Response Team
May 2006
www.blackhorseconsulting.com

Visit the new Equine Cushings site:
http://www.ecirhorse.com

jgpigger

HI Cindy

While how you treat your own horse is certainly your choice, if it was
my horse, I would get a definitive diagnosis immediately so I would know how to proceed from here.

Yes I plan on doing that, but its Sunday, and the only vet we have up here comes to this area periodically and the other vet has an old ultrasound machine that he doesn't think will give clear enough pictures.
You make it sound like I am not giving a hoot about my horse, well your wrong, Ellie is my love and I am not going to listen to people on the interenet who try to tell everyone what they should do or not do with their horses. To be honest its people with your attitude that turned my off to this group.
You should re-read what you right. I know you feel strongly about DSLD but nothing can be done until I can get a vet here,and I already paid her 400.00 for a farm call that resulted in her diagnoises of founder. Pretty costly farm call, wouldn't you say? I can't afford to have her run to me with those kinds of charges, heaven knows I wouldn't have any money left for Ellies treatments if there were any, get my point? Thanks for your brief but sharp opinion. candy 2010/1 U.P. of Michigan

Cindy McGinley

"jgpigger" <forpets@...>wrote:

You make it sound like I am not giving a hoot about my horse, well your wrong, Ellie is my love and I am not going to listen to people on the interenet who try to tell everyone what they should do or not do with their horses. To be honest its people with your attitude that turned my off to this group.
You should re-read what you right.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I was only trying to help you by sharing my own experience (many more years than I care to count as a professional horsewoman, by the way). And I always re-read what I write before sending to be certain that I am clear. You might want to try to read what I wrote again without projecting intent or emotion. I'm pretty sure you misinterpreted my tone.