Shredding own hay to save money?

kallee022003 <kristin.cooke@...>

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with shredding your own hay to feed a horse with Teeth issues to save money and keep from having to buy so much OTDB (love them except the price!) or other complete feeds?

I have a 32 yr old Cushings and IR horse with teeth issues and am having to feed ridiculous amounts of ODTB with some TCsenior. I CANNOT find Beet pulp without molasses and cannot soak/rinse at this time.

I am trying to find a more creative solution and have a consistent, good source of inexpensive bermuda hay (no more than $4.00 per bale). I do not have my hay results back yet but my mares G:I ratio is doing much better so I know my overall diet is pretty good right now. She was Severely IR and now is showing as Compensated IR but barely (using the groups calculator).

Any other creative ideas or links to comparisons of different options to save money but still feed properly.

Note - I also am trying to put weight ON this horse. He is getting 3 meals a day right now.

Thanks in advance for you help!

Kristin
DFW Area
member since 2006??

quatzie_baby@...

Does anyone have any experience with shredding your own hay to feed a horse with Teeth issues to save money and keep from having to buy so much OTDB
Hello

My friend uses a cheap chipper/shredder that she got a at garden store. She made sure it was very clean and then shreds the hay through it. It's the electric model. I don't know if this is a safe way to do, but it saves her a lot of money. She has three very old mares that's she's feeding. The mares have no teeth. Then she offers it with water and Alfalfa pellets to make a mash. (The mares are not IR)so that can make a differnce with iron.

Puts it in a very large feeding station with a drain in the bottom so it can be cleaned easily.

Jeannie
01/2010
Oregon

Hi Kristin,

Yes, I just started recently started making my own "chaff" for my horses. I'm using it as a base for their supplements. I just wet the chaff, add supplements and top with an herbal tea. I can easily give more to the horse that needs more calories (both are IR but one needs extra to maintain her weight).

I've just been running the hay through a new chipper/shredder that I have. Works like a charm - produces pieces of hay that are a couple inches long.

I'll have to be careful what else I run through the shredder and keep an eye on the blade for rust but so far I'm pleased with being able to make my own chaff.

Yes, you joined in 2006.

Hope this helps.

Barb in western CO
(with Sierra, Libby, Josie the donkey and Lola)
2005
EC List Support Team

www.ecirhorse.com

Does anyone have any experience with shredding your own hay to feed a horse with Teeth issues to save money and keep from having to buy so much OTDB (love them except the price!) or other complete feeds?

cahmom1

I tried using a chipper but the hay got all clogged up in it. We lean on soaked and rinsed beet pulp pellets for our old timers.

--- In EquineCushings@..., "kallee022003" <kristin.cooke@...> wrote:

[...]

My friend uses a cheap chipper/shredder that she got a at garden store. She made sure it was very clean and then shreds the hay through it... but it saves her a lot of money.

Thank you for the information. That is exactly what I needed to hear!

Is there any chance I could get some more information from your friend? I think we are going to try this as I HAVE to get the cost down on my old man.

Is it just the normal amount of hay fed put through the shredder? Can you do a bunch at a time and bag it?

Does anyone know if the hay nutritional content will be decreased by storing a couple days worth?

Any other feedback?

Kristin
DFW Area, TX
2007?

judith z <zacharyfarms@...>

Does anyone have any experience with shredding your own hay to feed a horse with Teeth issues to save money and keep from having to buy so much OTDB (love them except the price!) or other complete feeds?
I was getting hay last night at a farm here and they were grinding feed for cattle and I thought about this thread. They were putting the really nice hay in their grinder and grinding it as added filler to the corn etc. that they feed their milk cows and baby cows. Perhaps you could take a few bales to the local feed store to grind for you??? I think I might see if he will grind some of my tested hay for me for my 28 year old Falabella mare with Cushings. Without the corn etc. She hates beet pulp. Would this be okay or cause some sort of digestion problem?
Judy Zachary
Knoxville TN Aug.2007

Saucier Kathy

Kristin,
I've been off email for a week so just now catching up, sort of.
I hope the shredding works out for you with the hay.
If you end up needing to find beet pulp without molasses, I wanted to pass along some old info.
First I live north of Dallas and did some extensive searching for products awhile back. I joined in 2005 and in 2006 I went on the search for plain beet pulp with a lot of frustration. I would even call up the feedstores before I traveled to ask and then get there and find out they had never heard of it without molasses.
A fellow member from Temple put me onto a supplier and the info I found out is in our files under Texas.
Jupe Mills/Wendlands in Temple supplies beet pulp to areas north of Austin including our area.
Back in 2006 I learned that they supplied a feedstore called Green Acres in Seagoville. You would have to ask them to order it but they could even get just a single bag so it shouldn't be a problem. I have not had contact with that feedstore in years but you could call them at 972-557-0222. They and the supplier mill are in our file under Texas.
At least back in 2006 the person to talk to was Matt at the feedstore and Claudia at the Jupe Mill. If Green Acres can't help, call the mill and find out who they supply that is nearest to you.
By the way you are welcome to test hay shredding on my electric chipper/shredder but it has been used on the garden for years and not sure how sharp the blade is to give a good test.
Kathy Saucier
Carrollton, TX
Jan 2005

quatzie_baby@...

Is there any chance I could get some more information from your friend? I think we are going to try this as I HAVE to get the cost down on my old man.

Is it just the normal amount of hay fed put through the shredder? Can you do a bunch at a time and bag it?
Hi Kristin

My friend Sue got her chipper/shedder at harbor freight it's a 2 1/2 horse power. You can see it at the link below very I believe it's about 129 dollars and you can put a basket under it to catch the hay as it comes out of the chopper. It has wheels so it can be moved around very easily. It not real fast but gets the job done about 3 pounds a minute. She chops up a few days at a time then just weights the amount she needs for feeding. She does add water on top of chaff so the horses can eat it a little easyer.
She uses a hay feeder that stands higher off the ground for a feed station. But it doesnt have the top on it to hold hay. see link below it would be an exmple of one.
I hope that helps

My http://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-half-hp-chipper-shredder-66910.html

http://www.barnworld.com/sa/p/4_Bunk_Feeders_w_Poly_Liner_Insert_-_Horse.htm

Jeannie
01/2010
Oregon

Pam Miller <pam.miller24@...>

Is there any chance I could get some more information from your friend? I think
we are going to try this as I HAVE to get the cost down on my old man.

Is it just the normal amount of hay fed put through the shredder? Can you do a
bunch at a time and bag it?
I too purchased the 2-1/2 HP electric shredder 2 months ago for my ODTBC.  We
tried the shredder and it has too much power and blows all over the place
because of the design of the chute.  This shredder has a down chute and we also
use a water tub and cut a board to fit over the top and cutout for the chute.
Works great.  The shredder basically breaks up the cubes and the already loose
stuff just goes out the chute.  Hay is longer stemmed so it would do great in
here as well and make a nice dry chaffhay.   It takes me 30 minutes for 100#.  I
feed 100% ODTBC so I usually do 250# a week.  I wet down in their feed buckets
for about 10 minutes and fluff up.  Look in the Sunday paper inserts and you
will probably find their ad and they always have 20% coupons.  Total cost is
around $110.

I have a choker and cannot afford to have that happen again.  I did this because
the ODTBC is the "only" hay that is perfect for my PPID guy and my IR mare.  We
cannot get Timothy hay in NorCal and all hay I have tested over the years is way
high in s/s.

Pam
June 2010
NorCal - Gold Country