Boots or shod? (Ontario)

saribedari

Hello all,
We have moved Sarah to a new barn and she is doing fantastic! Her weight is wonderful she is bright and happy. The new place has some nice trails that we have been trying out. The only issue is it is a bit rocky, not just the trails but her turn out too.
So far she has been doing well being barefoot, she has just taken the odd ouchy step if she steps on a rock. My farrier says she looks good and we are keeping a close eye on her. I was just wondering if I should be looking at boots for when we hack? I only know of Old Mac's. Any feedback on the best boot in my area would be great. Also any I should stay away from? Or just front shoes? I would rather not put shoes on if at all possible.

Thanks,
Wanda & Sarah
Ontario
2005

Linda <PapBallou@...>

Any feedback on the best boot in my area would be great.

Wanda -

I am not a dealer of any line, so have no motive. I (and Pap) absolutely love the Easy Boot Gloves. They require a specific fit, so the company offers you a fit kit of three sizes in the range of your horse's foot measurement to see which one is best. I'm glad they do this because Pap is in a size smaller than what he measured for. Since you buy single boots, you can get differing sizes should one foot be larger than the other.

Pap has used them for dressage lessons and they in no way interfered.

I also like Renegades. Unfortunately the most we have used them for is during Pap's laminitis episodes. They are a bit more *clunky* for our arena work, but have been fine on trails.

Linda
EC Primary Response
West Coast
May 2004

Mandy Woods

This is just one persons opinion but I like the new Renegades and they come in colors! so if you lose one its possible to see it. They depend on your horse's foot shape too.
Mandy in VA
EC First Responder
OCT 2003

Jane Beyer

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Linda" <PapBallou@...> wrote:

Any feedback on the best boot in my area would be great.

for is during Pap's laminitis episodes. They are a bit more *clunky* for our arena work, but have been fine on trails.

Linda
EC Primary Response
West Coast
May 2004
Hi, I have been riding my foot sore horse in boots for four years. Also use them during turn out when she is more sore during seasonal rise. I have progressed to the thinner, lighter Easycare boots called "Gloves" and believe (itmakes sense) that it helps with break over and less stress on fetlocks and other higher jointsl. A friend just ordered Gloves and we noted they keep making them less bulky over the fetlock (again, makes sense). One other thing we noted when doing a saddle fit with a jell pad to see pressure points on the horses back; the same horse ridden with the same saddle with only front boots had more sore spots in wither area then when riding with all four boots. We all went "AAhaaa!" and now ride with all four boots all the time. Just sharing the observations from my group. Good luck!

jane n Hailey
Upper Penninsula, MI
Sept 09

tomtriv <ThePitchforkPrincess@...>

Hi Wanda

My mare is like your horse, ouchy on stones and roots but otherwise fine. In winter we use Easy Boot Gloves with ice studs for trail riding. In summer Easy Boot glue on's are taped on using athletic tape. It sounds weird but it works very well. An endurance rider in Australia came up with the tape idea and I think it has caught on all over. The boots are put on before and taken off after each ride. If you want to read more about our experience check out Message #4147 in ECHoof. There lots of talk in ECHoof and ECHorsekeeping about all kinds of hoof boots.
-LeeAnne 04/04
Newmarket, Ontario

Saucier Kathy

Wanda,
I have heard very good things about a boot called B4's. Bonnie who is an endurance rider was tired of losing boots, losing them, having them rub or wear out so she developed these herself. So they don't have fancy advertising as a self built company. But they come highly recommended by a vet/horse person friend of mine.
http://www.b4boots.com/index.html
http://www.b4boots.com/install_video.html
Her write up on this page says the most about it:
http://www.b4boots.com/letter.html
Kathy S.
N TX
Jan 2005

saribedari

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Mandy Woods" <bittersweetfarm@...> wrote:

This is just one persons opinion but I like the new Renegades
Thanks everybody! Those Renegades are pretty wild looking! Do you notice any rubbing around the fetlock area with the Renegade or the Easy Boot Glove? I have only so far seen the Old Mac's at my tack shops.

Wanda & Sarah
Ontario
2005

tomtriv <ThePitchforkPrincess@...>

Hi Wanda,
I did have some rubbing on Dawn's bulbs - pre-wrap and athletic tape on her bulbs fixes that. This would probably work for just about any boot out there(?). With the taped on glue ons there is no part of the boot above the hair line, thus no rubs. You can even trim off parts if they do come above the hoof. It is amazing at how well these boots stay on. It takes a screw driver to pry them off. You can get 4 for about $100. Though the tape does get a little expensive and a every-day rider might want to look into buying it by the case. (Hockey tape works just as well.) After a trim my farrier measured Dawn's feet according to manufacturer's directions. Though they seem to stress the fit, there are spots that don't fit so well but they don't cause a problem with the boot for us.
-LeeAnne

Roger Rittenhouse vmaxept <roger@...>

Renegades DO NOT go above the coronet line. So there is no rubbing on the fetlock .
I never had great results the EZBoot gaitors, always had rubs.
I ride with these I have no issues.
Roger R
TN JUNE 10

--

This is just one persons opinion but I like the new Renegades
Thanks everybody! Those Renegades are pretty wild looking! Do you notice any rubbing around the fetlock area with the Renegade or the Easy Boot Glove?

vanessaregister <chilvan@...>

Wanda,
I have easy boots, and renegades. The renegades I like because they are easy to put on and less restrictive, but less protective. I couldn't put in a pad to adjust the comfort level, which can change.
My easy boot second pair, wore thru the first in a year, we ride alot.
My mare loves them the most. she steps out lively, and lands heel first.
I think with the gators, the whole heel bulb is protected more.
I get rubbings in both depending on the ride, if I'm in deep dirt some of it always gets in and produces rubbing. So now I get of, remove the boots and let her hooves get a good cleaning in the deep dirt and then put the boots back on to finish the ride.
you can use Gold bond powder in the boot, or vet wrap for rubbings, also adjust your tension and see if that makes a difference.
If I had to pick only one pair it would be the easy boots, because of the pad variations.
Vanessa and Cadie
Jan 2009
Yucaipa, CA
---