Now: Treating previous hoof damage + founder (Was: Another one needing help)

Shannon

Hi Dr. Kellon -

You mention the possible application of the rocker shoe (glued on) to assist with getting more sole depth in this case of contracted heels.

Before Rafiq foundered, I was considering a rocker shoe due to his navicular issues in the right front foot. Now he has even more navicular damage, but also has the damaged laminae, as well. Greg mentioned in an earlier post that the rocker shoe can actually put forces on the hoof that pull apart (I'm not sure that I described that correctly, hopefully Greg may weigh in).

At what point does the rocker shoe become therapeutic versus destructive in a horse with laminitis and contracted heels? If the navicular bone is also involved, very damaged even (bone spurs and associated lesions in the navicular suspensories), does this change how we approach the trim and/or shoeing of a horse that still needs the hoof and cb aligned?

Rafiq has shown a marked increase in navicular bone and navicular-suspensory damage over this past year. While I have monitored it, I've been quite acutely focused on his founder, the coffin bone, and growing enough hoof to be able to trim the foot into balance. Is there a point where realigning the coffin bone (removing heel primarily) may actually cause more damage to the navicular ligaments and bone spurs? Or is the balanced trim still the ideal situation for a horse dealing with both issues (laminitis being much more damaging to quality of life)?

Most recent Xrays show the significant bone changes in Rafiq's navicular area. Direct link: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory3/files/Rafiq%20and%20Majik/Rafiq%20Xrays%20July%2019%2C%202010/. Noteworthy is that Rafiq has been moving with a great deal more comfort in the past 10 days or so.

Thank you in advance (and anyone else weighing in) for advice, insight, suggestions!

Shannon, Rafiq and Majik
Houston 2009
EC History3:  http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory3/files/Rafiq%20and%20Majik/
Website:  www.EquiJourneys.com

--- In EquineCushings@..., "drkellon" <drkellon@...> wrote:

http://www.nanric.com/Howtotreatclubfeet.asp

In fact, the glued on rocker shoe might be an option you could consider. Adequate sole depth is really the key to comfort.

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Shannon" <skgserenity@...> wrote:
At what point does the rocker shoe become therapeutic versus destructive in a horse with laminitis and contracted heels?
When a realigning trim is possible, as it is with Rafiq, anything substituted for that is destructive IMO. Have you contacted Greg yet?

EC Co-owner
Feb 2001

--- In EquineCushings@..., "drkellon" <drkellon@...> wrote:
When a realigning trim is possible, as it is with Rafiq, anything substituted for that is destructive IMO.
Hello Shannon,

I believe Rafiq is being trimmed this week? As a reminder, below I've copied and pasted Linda A's comments after the last trim.

In the last year, Rafiq has grown a new hoof. It should be a fairly decent serviceable hoof. Instead he has little to no well connected hoof wall. There's no reason for that.

If you do the right thing now, in less than a year Rafiq will have a pretty decent hoof. If you continue the current path, he'll be right where he is now or worse. Your choice.

You're the only one who can get this done for Rafiq. It's time for you to buck up and take action to get the right thing done for Rafiq. No words, no reasons why not- just do it.

Barb in western CO
(with Sierra, Libby, Josie the donkey and Lola)
2005
EC List Support Team

www.ecirhorse.com

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Linda" <PapBallou@...> wrote:

I've put some markups of Rafiq's latest x-rays in two folder in the Rafiq files:

I really don't understand what the farrier is trying to do. He has lowered the heels some, and even put a bevel in the toe/wedge area, that is rather close to the toe target. Toe target is the yellow line, determined by the growth under the coronet band and parallel to the CB.

Then he set a shoe where the breakover of the shoe is way in front of the bevel, negating any good in relieving breakover that bevel could have done. The top orange line is where the farrier has made the bevel. The breakover of the shoe (bottom orange line) is putting the breakover Rafiq is dealing with, right back out on that extremely long toe. Breakover needs to be under the CB.

The shoe seems to be too big...there is extension of the shoe out past the heel...I would bet it's almost acting as a trailer. Then Rafiq has the double breakover - the physiologic breakover of the CB, and then the breakover of the long toe/shoe.

The trim, whether bare or shod needs to support the inner structures of the feet, allowing for a tight hug of the wall around the CB, and where deficient, making corrections to allow the hoof to grow in as *normal* a manner as is possible. That means derotating the CB, and putting breakover where is should be in relation to the CB.

It can certainly happen, but not until the mechanics of the foot make the hoof capsule (walls/frog/heels/sole/bars) and the coffin bone a single unit. Rafiq has bones, and he has hoof capsule...neither really complementing each other.

Pix definitely need to be posted. He has sunk, and until he gets the support he needs from his walls in correct alignment with the bones, it is doubtful that will resolve.

There appears to be some radiolucencies around the tip of the CB. Might be abscess tracts or collections forming...even if not, be prepared for abscesses as this foot has a lot of damage to clean up, and ill form to overcome.

If this is the way your team feels Rafiq needs to be rehabbed, then I would seriously seek out other advise/skill in your area. This is not going to be easy, and as long as he stays with the status quo, he will be the same in a year as he has been in the past year.

Linda
EC Primary Response
West Coast
May 2004

Sibylle Waruszcak

Shannon,
you live in the Houston area. Have you tried to talk to Eddie Drabek, a natural hoof care provider west of Houston? He is well known and may be able to help you more then your current farrier. I know he is a very busy man, has a lot of clients, teaches classes, etc. but hopefully he wouldn't turn down a founder case.
Here is is contact info:

(979) 533-1731 - Cell
drabektx @ hotmail.com

Please consider contacting him. You have tried the route with this farrier and it is not getting you anywhere, time to try something new. I don't know Eddie personally, but have heard good things about him. He is a member of AHA, the trimmer group Pete Ramey is a part of.
Sibylle

Susan Boyd

I agree with this recommendation. He is a very nice guy and will do all he can
to help. He has his own web site and participates in the teleworkshops put on by
Joe Camp. I believe Eddie works with the Houston mounted police (all 40 horses
are barefoot).

Susan
Duck, Ice, Connie, Dalton, Swani, Vanessa, and Shadow
Florida /August 2010

http://www.artnanimals.com