Chaste Tree Berry

dogs2cats1horse <dogs2cats1horse@...>

HI
My 29 yr old pony/arab/quarter horse was diagnosed w/cushings in 1998!
He is on ciprohepdadine and thyro-L, joint supplements and hoof supplements. I've been reading about chaste tree berry for cushing horses. Tried it but he won't eat it( and this horse eats anything). I read that the chaste tree berry can be helpful...who has tried it and how did you feed it?
Thanks, Mary

Saucier Kathy

Mary,
When we first got our diagnosis for EC, I tried the Chasteberry powder.
One source said 2 tsps/day & another source said it needed to be 2 ounces/day to be effective. That was 5 years ago so I can't remember details but seems like that was 1/2 a cup a day. A lot. We split it across the 2 meals and still couldn't get him to eat it. Very bitter. I tried various things to mask it and we had gotten up to a whole box of sugar free Jello each meal to mask it enough for him to eat. A sprinkling did nothing. At that price, it was cheaper to go with Pergolide, especially after I found the good sources recommended on this group (Thriving Pets & another pharmacy). I made that switch, he responded better, ate it without a problem, etc. No battles with the capsules of Pergolide.
Kathy S.
Texas
Jan 2005

Chaste Tree Berry
Posted by: "dogs2cats1horse" dogs2cats1horse@...
HI........... I've been reading about chaste tree berry for cushing horses. Tried it but he won't eat it( and this horse eats anything). I read that the chaste tree berry can be helpful...who has tried it and how did you feed it?
Thanks, Mary

JamesH <jameshart500@...>

Another way is to use a liquid extract and then just syringe it into the mouth. Just make sure you buy one which declares its strength so you can work out a proper dose. Most do not!

James
Cambridge NZ
2007

Chaste Tree Berry
Posted by: "dogs2cats1horse" dogs2cats1horse@...
HI........... I've been reading about chaste tree berry for cushing horses. Tried it but he won't eat it( and this horse eats anything). I read that the chaste tree berry can be helpful...who has tried it and how did you feed it?
Thanks, Mary

muff747

I tried for nearly one year to get my gelding's ACTH within normal levels after it was high at each re-test, despite increasing the Pergolide dose each time. So I decided to try CTB alongside Pergolide and re-tested after feeding it for a month - and the levels were within normal range for the first time. Was it the CTB that made the difference? I will re-test again in October whilst still feeding CTB and if ACTH is still within normal, I'd like to think it was.
I have to be careful not to feed more than a tablespoon/day as someone reported their gelding becoming "studdy" when they fed it, and my gelding is studdy enough already!
I get mine already in powder form from a UK supplier.
Chris/Matty UK 07/09

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Gary & Kathy" <gksaucier@...> wrote:

[...]

oakridge@gorge.net <oakridge@...>

Regarding the 6 tablespoons of ground chaste berry...I am Bonnie/Abby, Washington, 1/2000 or 2001
(can't remember).

cecilia <genecec@...>

How much are you giving him? I give my 22YO Morgan gelding a slightly heaped tsp. twice a day...he snarfs it right up in his Hi Fat Hi Fibre, beet pulp and flax. He's picky, usually, but never even hesitated with it.

Are you grinding it up? I know someone who tried it on their pony, but fed it unground and the pony refused it. Just use a coffee grinder until it's mostly ground up.

Cec
Nova Scotia
June 2010

My 29 yr old pony/arab/quarter horse was diagnosed w/cushings in 1998!
He is on ciprohepdadine and thyro-L, joint supplements and hoof supplements. I've been reading about chaste tree berry for cushing horses. Tried it but he won't eat it( and this horse eats anything). I read that the chaste tree berry can be helpful...who has tried it and how did you feed it?
Thanks, Mary

Mandy Woods

Hi Mary,
Welcome to the group. Have you been a member very long?
How was your pony/Arab/QH diagnosed for Cushings? If you have a copy of his labs please tell us what they were! We'd like to know which test, which lab and what the results were in units and lab normal ranges that your vet used to tell you he was Cushings. Are you having any problems with him now?

The list philosophy is DDT/E. This means:
DIAGNOSIS by bloodwork. For a PPID (Cushings) dx we recommend the eACTH test. For an Insulin Resistance dx we recommend Insulin and Glucose from the same draw with the horse/pony fed only hay. A thyroid panel is a good idea as it will give you a baseline. If your boy is PPID, we recommend the medication pergolide which is the gold standard for treatment. Its actually more economical and safer than CTB. It does require a script from your vet. IR is managed by Diet.

DIET is low sugar/starch/fat. We aim for less that 10% sugar/starch/fat a day. IF you hay is untested you should soak it for one hour then drain it. IF you're having lameness issues, stiffness, reluctance to move, heat/pulses in the feet we recommend you pull him off his pasture, feed only soaked/drained hay and the minerals to the TEMPORARY Emergency Diet. The recipe is in the "Start Here" file. You can get everything at Walmart.

Trim is a balanced foot, toes back and heels lowered.
Exercise ONLY if he's willing and able.

Please read the files, ask questions and we'll help. When you sign your emails, please include your name, state and date of joining like I did. This really helps us!
Mandy in VA
EC First Responder
OCT 2003
http://www.ecirhorse.com/

judy_meldrum <judy_meldrum@...>

I am giving a 13hd 22 yr old pony mare about a dsp twice a day i put it in her speedybeet and poor over the hot water..she has not trouble eating it as for effectivness this winter her coat is not as long and feels much softer..i will see once the season begins to warm if her coat begins to shed she did last year .. it was longer and courser, but i used a stripping comb and eventually clipperd her to complete the job ...I do not rug my horses
I am pleased with the results of the chaste berry but wonder if the amount could be altered for even better results any thoughts ?

--- In EquineCushings@..., cecilia <genecec@...> wrote:

[...]

Mary Mary <dogs2cats1horse@...>

I bought the Ground Chaste Tree Berry from Frontier Herbs on line. Its a fine
powder and tastes awful. He won't eat it and thus isn't eating his other meds
mixed with it...I tried the berries ground in the coffee grinder but he still
refuses it and NOW, I cleaned out his food bin and am just giving him his
regular meds and supplements and he's refusing those! So I got some apple
syrup, but the barn manager is balking at having to take the time to mix that
into the packets I have...any ideas out there?