Pergolide Treats

DIANEL

has anyone used the pergolide treats from American Pharmacy Solutions? I've been feeding pergolide from Smart pak but my horse is not eating well and I can't be sure she is getting all of it. I need to make it easy for the barn owner to feed. Liquid is not an option. thanks
Diane

Shannon

Hi Diane :)

I tried them and my gelding took one, assuming it was a *real* treat, then made face that clearly stated, "Bleh." After that, no interest. They are kind of like large tablet wafers with some flavoring that hopefully will appeal to the horses palate. I had the "alfalfa" flavor. They also had apple and carrot?

There was also a price-issue. They are much more costly than capsules or powder. I have found that my gelding will let me take his scoop of powder and drop it on his tongue dry. He doesn't spit it out. I usually have plenty of stuff to give via a syringe, and that's the main way I give him his meds and supplements. If you can get out once a day, you can give it to your horse with just a small syringe and some water.

My gelding recently stopped eating like he normally does, and I found that he had ulcers. He also doesn't like the taste of his feed, so that is in the middle of changing. Sometimes we just have to find the right mix that will get them back on their food. Pain issues can put them off of their appetite quite quickly.

Hope this is helpful!

Shannon, Rafiq and Majik
Houston - June '09

--- In EquineCushings@..., "DIANEL" <dleduc@...> wrote:

has anyone used the pergolide treats from American Pharmacy Solutions?

hauntedhorses

Hi Diane,
I had the same reaction as Shannon did..except i had gotten mine from Wedgewood Pharmacy. We tried all the flavors..Spit them right out..I took to trying to smash them up..I think the floor and the hammer took more of a beating then the treats did. Seems everything i give him now is by syringe. If the owner is having problems or doesn't have the time..can you get a groom you trust to do it for you? (if there are grooms..) :) I've had to do that over the years..