18 year old Arabian Gelding

vlahac

Hello,

Several days ago, my Arabian gelding fainted, hit the ground and then bounced up. Just to be sure that everything was okay, I called the vet. I wanted blood work to be taken as I know Arabian's have a predisposition to IR and Cushings. Blood work came back normal with one exception that his glucose was within the highe normal range. I am testing for insulin/glucose as well as getting an ACTH test done within the next several days. Bruq, has a cresty neck and his eye sockets are filled in. He is showing absolutely no signs of Cushing's. He is not drinking more, not depressed, is shedding out well and has a nice shinny coat. The strange thing though, this past week he has a sweat mark, the size of a silver dollar just below his right wither. When I showed the vet the sweat mark, he told me it was muscle damage and that I should keep an eye on it. However, Bruq has never fallen with the exception of the other day, and that was his other side.

Currently, he is on LMF Super Supplement as he is not being worked while my daughter is attending school in the UK. However, I am removing him from Super Supplement and putting him on LMF Stage 1 low carb feed, just to be sure. Bruq is being fed local hay, with orchard grass hay pellets being fed to him in 1 cup intervals every 3 hours during the evening with my automatic grain dispenser.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the sweat spot may be, and can it be an indicator of IR or Cushings?

Thank you,
Barbara

Lorna <briars@...>

Several days ago, my Arabian gelding fainted, hit the ground and then bounced up.
My blind,31+ Morgan pony did that the other night in his stall. I was shaken by it,but he seemed fine.
After some thought I've decided he is possibly not getting REM sleep,andit was lack of sleep that caused this.
I don't know.It's a supposition on my part.

I would be more concerned if he had had trouble getting up,especially since he is out with his friends during the day.....in the snow.

Lorna in Ontario
Support/Moderator
2002

millionairess1989

Hello Barbara,
Something else to think about would be getting his heart checked. My now 22 year old Arabian mare did that for the first of several times 4 years ago. My vet came right out and diagnosed her with a 3rd degree av cardiac block. Instead of a lub dub sound, it was more like lub lub lub dub. She was literally passing out from lack of blood flow. A permanent pacemaker was implanted 4 years ago and she has been doing well with it, after much trial and error. It is now time for a replacement, right after she was diagnosed with Cushings.
Jennifer
1/11
Millionairess

--- In EquineCushings@..., "vlahac" <vlahac@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you. I'll ask the vet to check out his heart as well. The initial check indicated a rapid heart rate of 65/min. I took the heart rate while the vet was outside, and his rate went down to 54/min. Interesting...

Will be testing for IR and Cushing's next just to be sure.

Thanks,
Barbara and Bruq