Cushings horse EPM postive on blood test

godivakathy <godivakathy@...>

Hi all, while I don't post often I do read the emails and appreciate the advice I've learned from other Cushings horse owners here.

Does anyone here have personal experience with or know of any sources where I can learn more about what to do or what I should know about when your Cushings horse tests positive for EPM on a blood test? My vet says a positive result on blood test isn't 100%, as a spinal tap test is the only real way to prove whether your horse actually has EPM or is just a carrier for it, but the costs of that test in addition to the $800 a month preferred Marquis drug treatment is out of my realm. The vet also ran a Vitamin E blood test and that came back normal without a deficiency. My 26 year old guy was put on SMZ and has shown a truly miraculous improvement within mere days but I'd like to know more info or what other options are available before I talk to my vet again.

Thank you in advance for any info!

Kathy

ferne fedeli

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 2:12 AM, godivakathy <godivakathy@...> wrote:
where I can learn more about what to do or what I should know about when your Cushings horse tests positive for EPM on a blood test?
I'm sorry that I can't help you more with the Cushings & EPM issue.
My Icelandic, who is IR--but I didn't know it at the time--was
diagnosed with EPM about 4 years ago. I went through the Mraquis for
2 months with him. It is quite expensive, but since it is dosed by
body weight and he was about 700 lbs at the time, it was at least
slightly less expensive than for a bigger horse. I was told at that
time to also give him Vitamin E, which I did, but didn't know about
having the Vit E in oil then, so don't know how much good it did. He
recovered quite nicely though. His left hind flank is still indented,
but that is the only sign that he had EPM.
Ferne Fedeli
No. California
4/2010

Saucier Kathy

Kathy,
We went through the EPM ordeal just a year ago. I did not have him tested though. Had heard it is very expensive and can't tell if they have EPM or just exposed to it as many horses are exposed to it. I don't know for sure on those ideas if they are factual. But my vet recommended trying the Marquis. If in two weeks we saw an improvement in the symptoms we were seeing, then we would continue. And they reevaluated at the end of each month whether to continue the expensive drug for another month or not. We ended up seeing great improvement at 2 weeks so continued with the Marquis. Each month we still wanted to see more improvement and ended up continuing the Marquis for 3 months. We have a little muscle atrophy in the right hind and some weakness there too that seems permanent. But a year later he seems to still be doing well. There are a bunch of products out there with claims to treat or prevent. No proof if they work. I am giving him Vit E & folic acid supplements for the immune system.

If you have tangible symptoms that you can monitor, I would suggest giving the Marquis a month trial and see. I totally get though that it is very expensive. But with the C's horse you already have to deal with muscle wasting and if the EPM is contributing more, you have your hands full.
Kathy Saucier
TX
2005 (although I do not currently have an IR or PPID horse, I stay in touch and continue to learn from this wonderful group)

Dawn Wagstaff

Kathy,
I do not have a horse diagnosed with EPM, however, I do have a friend with a Cushing/IR mare on pergolide, who was recently diagnosed with EPM and is undergoing a new drug protocol of Oroquin-10. She has been experiencing positive results with the drug. There is also a blood test protocol available now with different sensitivities being used instead of spinal taps to diagnose prior to administering oroquin.
The information for this protocol is at http://pathogenes.com/

Also, here is more reading than you might have wanted,http://pathogenes.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/WHAT_IS_EPM.144162502.pdf

The above is also from the pathogenes website.

Dawn Wagstaff
Angel Ellie
Saline, MI 2003