stevia used as sweetener

Vanessa Register

Hi all,
I am looking into a product for Cadie IR, and it listed a sweetener. I contacted the company and found out that the sweetener is Stevia,
I found this article on live strong, and was wondering if anyone has any information about stevia with IR horses.
The article said "The World Health Organization has advised consumers that, while evidence of stevia's effectiveness is limited, several small-scale animal studies have apparently confirmed its ability to enhance insulin production and insulin sensitivity

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/83499-stevia-insulin-reactions/#ixzz1g41qieA0
. In October 2004, "Metabolism" published a comprehensive review of several Aarhus University Hospital studies. The review suggested that glucosides in stevia increase the production of insulin in both diabetic and nondiabetic rodents. Additionally, rats and mice taking stevia experienced heightened sensitivity to insulin.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/83499-stevia-insulin-reactions/#ixzz1g42ZXRkg

so I am inclined to believe that it is not good for IR.
thanks,
Vanessa
Jan 2009
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory/files/Vanessa%20Register/

Lisa S

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, "vanessaregister" <v.register7@...> wrote:

so I am inclined to believe that it is not good for IR.
Vanessa,

The links you provided seemed to suggest that stevia might increase insulin sensitivity. Are you suggesting that increasing insulin sensitivity would not be a good thing for an IR horse?

My understanding of IR is fairly rudimentary, but I would think that if we could take cells that are currently resistant to the action of insulin and make them more responsive to its action, that would be a GOOD thing.

Anybody, please chime in here and clarify for me!

Thanks for posting the links--I personally LOVE stevia but so far have been too chicken to use it with my horses!

Lisa in TX
Pookey Bear
June 2010

Vanessa Register

Lisa,
My brain only works so far, so I'm not sure how it affects insulin in an IR horse.
my husband thinks it grabs the sugar more readily and takes it into the cells.
so that is the reason for my post with the links, so I don't interpret the information in correctly.
I wish I was a scientist,
Vanessa
Jan 2009

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, "lonestarquarterh" <mostlyaggies@...> wrote:

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, "vanessaregister" <v.register7@> wrote:

so I am inclined to believe that it is not good for IR.
Vanessa,

The links you provided seemed to suggest that stevia might increase insulin sensitivity. Are you suggesting that increasing insulin sensitivity would not be a good thing for an IR horse?

Lisa in TX
Pookey Bear
June 2010

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Great question. You're more of a scientist than you think!

You should be OK with Stevia. Stevia has increased insulin in models of type 1 (insulin deficient) diabetes but otherwise it decreases both insulin and glucose responses to meals.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2900484/?tool=pubmed

Increased insulin sensitivity means it takes fewer units of insulin per units of glucose to control blood sugar. Good thing.

EC Co-owner
Feb 2001

Vanessa Register

Dr. Kellon,
Thank you for your encouraging reply!
Vanessa
Yucaipa, CA
jan 2009

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, "drkellon" <drkellon@...> wrote:

Great question. You're more of a scientist than you think!

Freda from NC <freda.butner@...>

Can Stevia be used to disguise pergolide? If so, how much to mask the taste and what is a safe does (Stevia) for a 1000 lb horse?

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, "drkellon" <drkellon@...> wrote:

Great question. You're more of a scientist than you think!

You should be OK with Stevia. Stevia has increased insulin in models of type 1 (insulin deficient) diabetes but otherwise it decreases both insulin and glucose responses to meals.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2900484/?tool=pubmed

Increased insulin sensitivity means it takes fewer units of insulin per units of glucose to control blood sugar. Good thing.

EC Co-owner
Feb 2001

palomino.1982 <sbaumgardner@...>

Hi Freda,

From an archive search:

It depends on how much you're feeding.

Dr. Kellon approved the powdered herbs such as stevia, fenugreek, peppermint,anise seed, beet root, apple fiber, etc. as safe for IR horses; as long as they were fed at the rate of 1 tsp per 2 pounds of feed or 1/2 tsp per 1 pound of feed.

You may find some taste-tempting flavors in Picky Eaters:

http://tinyurl.com/ya6sflv

Hope this helps and let us know what flavor works.

Susan
EC Primary Response
San Diego 1.07

-

Can Stevia be used to disguise pergolide? If so, how much to mask the taste and what is a safe does (Stevia) for a 1000 lb horse?

Skylane <skylane@...>

Unlike sugar or many other sweetners, stevia can end up tasting pretty nasty. I've put a bit too much in coffee (yuck) and tasted a tiny bit plain (even yuckier... kinda bitterish). It works just fine, to a point.
This is based only on my personal experience while sampling it at Trader Joe's, after being warned about the above.

Michael~
aka Mike & Spike
San Jose, Ca
Oct 10

Sherry Lamarche <sherrylamarche@...>

I too though stevia was bitter. But after trying a few
differring brands I found ones I liked and now that’s
all I use. Sweetleaf is the company and I prefer their
liquid flavored options. You can also buy them on
amazon usually at much better pricing.

Sherry LaMarche
-08/08? So. Wis.