Duke's latest hoof pictures: Help!

Donna Coughlin

Dear Hoof Gurus and Friends of Duke,

Mini Duke definitely had winter laminitis this year and his best friend, Nancy (!). felt his diet was tight and therefore it must be the trim. I've finally managed to take hoof pictures and post them on EC Hoof; see the Feb. 2012 pictures: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHoof/photos/album/1892079714/pic/list

Somehow, they downloaded totally out of order from my one-foot-all-views-to-the-next-foot iPhoto file, and once in EC hoof, "move" does not move them within your file, but somewhere else, or at least that's what I understood. So I apologize, they are completely scrambled. Also, last April I was able to label each one so it showed on the overall file, but this time the labels show up only when you click to enlarge each image. I have NO idea what I did wrong, but hope I got them labeled correctly--I was trying to go from iPhoto to the ECHoof file.....and my brain was turning to mush.

The blacksmith was here on Feb. 2nd and I have rasped his front toes even blunter twice since then. I'm a bit nervous when I do it, trying to follow Linda's mock-ups from last April. The new-in-September blacksmith was rolling his front toes, but when he saw how much better Duke was walking after I got brave with the rasp, he realized "our" method was better--but I'm not sure he had done enough.....I may have to get the vet and digital x-ray here for his next visit if you all think the trim isn't yet right.

I had the vet come out late Dec. when the laminitis started and she did chiro and acupuncture, which helped a lot, and suggested treating him for Lyme's. He just finished 60 days of doxy, which helped, but not at much as I had hoped. Some days he seems more comfortable and walks around with only one or two longish (flat out) naps during the day. Today he was good--boots off for part of the day (ground is no longer frozen) and only one nap! He is eating well, seems happy, still no pulses, no heat, but I think he could be more comfortable. He is very ancient, and perhaps it's just age too?? He does get Mov-Ease and "safe" joint supplements (see his file below).

Thank you for any help!!

Donna Coughlin
Duke, Obi and Robin
CT Dec. 2009
http://pets.groups.yahoo. com/group/ ECHistory3/ files/Donna% 20Coughlin% 2C%20CT/

Linda <PapBallou@...>

Mini Duke definitely had winter laminitis this year and his best friend, Nancy (!). felt his diet was tight and therefore it must be the trim.
Donna -

Yeah, the trim has gotten away from where it should be. I took a quick peek.

These little guys can be a challenge to keep where they should be - they are hard to trim, those tiny feet are hard to trim, and when they develop a fast growing heel as can happen with laminitis, they seem to grow it back faster than the bigger horses. A weekly trim schedule with major attention to the heels is needed.

I don't know what the farrier is using to trim the feet as far as tools go. I have struggled with regular sized nippers, older hands, and finally ended up buying a pair of farrier nail cutters. Are just the perfect size to maneuver around those little feet and can get in there and get the job done. And the grinder!

So with the heels so high, his hoof capsules have become ballet slippers to him. His toes can't help but hurt. You should see my deformed toes from ballet - never mind.

Do you need some markups? If you were to take x-rays, you'd be surprised at how much foot is there that shouldn't be there.

Linda
EC Primary Response
West Coast
May 2004

Donna Coughlin

Linda,

Thank you SO much for your instant response! Yes, I would really love markups to show the new blacksmith and also for myself to do the weekly trims. Is this something I can do with the rasp or is a grinder better? What is a grinder???? I am so nervous about taking off too much, will want to get the blacksmith to do it first.

Such irony, I was still going on last year's markups, worrying about too much toe and sole...

Would like to try changing the trim before x-rays, but if you think those would make the blacksmith understand better, I could try to do that--just had a lot of vet bills lately....

Again, Duke and I thank you!!

Donna
Duke, Obi, Robin
CT, Dec. 2009

Yeah, the trim has gotten away from where it should be. I took a quick peek.
A weekly trim schedule with major attention to the heels is needed.
I have struggled and finally ended up buying a pair of farrier nail cutters. And the grinder!

So with the heels so high, his hoof capsules have become ballet slippers to him. His toes can't help but hurt.
Do you need some markups? If you were to take x-rays, you'd be surprised at how much foot is there that shouldn't be there.

Linda
EC Primary Response
West Coast
May 2004

merlin5clougher <janieclougher@...>

Hi, Donna -

Here is a link to grinder info. I am just heading out to my horses to attend to their hooves with my grinder. If you get a grinder for Duke, I would definitely put socks over those abundant feathers while you use it - getting that hair caught in a grinder doesn't bear thinking about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTTPzJTi-II&feature=related

The nitty-gritty of grinder discussion should likely move to EC Hoof, but please keep Duke's discussion/updates on here.

Thanks!

Jaini,Merlin,Maggie,Gypsy
BC09
EC moderator

--- In EquineCushings@..., "dwcoughlin@..." <dwcoughlin@...> wrote:

Linda,

Thank you SO much for your instant response! Yes, I would really love markups to show the new blacksmith and also for myself to do the weekly trims. Is this something I can do with the rasp or is a grinder better? What is a grinder????

Donna Coughlin

Hi Linda,

The blacksmith is coming tomorrow at 8:00 a.m.--was I ever surprised! He does love Duke. I told him what you had said, and he said he totally gets it. So if you have time for the mark-ups, that would be great, but if not, I'll take pics when he's done and hopefully you'll be able to tell me if we're moving in the right direction and what to do in my weekly trims.

Donna Coughlin
Duke, Obi and Robin
CT, Dec. 2009

Do you need some markups? If you were to take x-rays, you'd be surprised at how much foot is there that shouldn't be there.

Linda
EC Primary Response
West Coast
May 2004

Linda <PapBallou@...>

Will get them done this evening.

And, I really would check out the use of the grinder. Jaini gave you the link to the yahoo group. Let me tell you, that grinder is a life saver out here where granite and hooves are often the same hardness. I have little doubt that some poor hoof form is due to the fact that it can be next to impossible to trim through these hard feet.

But for those little feet - makes them a piece of cake!

Linda
EC Primary Response
West Coast
May 2004

Donna Coughlin

Dear Jaini,

AWESOME, although it will take a lot of courage for me, I'll do anything for Duke.

Thank you so much for the links, perfect. You and Linda are quite a team!

Donna, Duke, Obi and Robin
CT 2009