sodium ferrocyanide

rory1mickey1 <rachel@...>

hi all - just bought some table salt as i had been advised was ok. I was using sea salt as i felt more natural and wanted to avoid these anti-caking agents. The one i have is table salt and i'd like to know of ANY dangers to using it? It contains the anti-caking agent; sodium ferrocyanide?
Thanks

Rachel Kent
UK

Nancy C

Hi Rachel

There is a review of anti-caking agents here

<http://www.saltinstitute.org/Issues-in-focus/Food-salt-health/Iodized-salt-other-additives/Additives-use-in-salt>

I'll stick neck out and say the anti table salt marketing about additives is not factual.

More about salt here

http://tinyurl.com/yat49vs

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

NewEnglandEquineBalance@...

--- In EquineCushings@..., "rory1mickey1" <rachel@...> wrote:
It contains the anti-caking agent; sodium ferrocyanide?

rory1mickey1 <rachel@...>

so its ok then?

Just to note i am in UK. I was feeding a coarse sea salt before which was organic and pure and really not expensive. I am aware that the mineral contents may differ greatly but can you suggest which one would be best? 'aagents' or preservatives scare me

thanks
Rachel Kent
UK

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Nancy" <threecatfarm@...> wrote:

Hi Rachel

There is a review of anti-caking agents here

<http://www.saltinstitute.org/Issues-in-focus/Food-salt-health/Iodized-salt-other-additives/Additives-use-in-salt>

I'll stick neck out and say the anti table salt marketing about additives is not factual.

More about salt here

http://tinyurl.com/yat49vs

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

NewEnglandEquineBalance@...

--- In EquineCushings@..., "rory1mickey1" <rachel@> wrote:
It contains the anti-caking agent; sodium ferrocyanide?

Lorna <briars@...>

Hi Rachel,

so its ok then?
Not Nancy, but yes.

Just to note i am in UK. I was feeding a coarse sea salt before which was organic and pure and really not expensive.
I'll wager a bet that if you got your hands on the analysis of that salt you were feeding it wouldn't look quite as pure as the company would like you to believe.
Just a guess.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

Lavinia <dnlf@...>

I was feeding a coarse sea salt before which was organic and pure and really not expensive. I am aware that the mineral contents may differ greatly
Hi Rachel,
Organic and pure doesn't mean there are no contaminents. Arsenic is organic and pure and is many times found in sea salt but not something I would want to be ingesting. The reason to use table salt is so that you know exactly how much sodium chloride and iodine you are feeding and so you know that your horse is getting enough of both of these essential nutrients.
Would you please add the year you joined the list to your signature in future posts and delete most of the messages you are replying to. This helps everyone find new info faster and helps the volunteers to getbetter info to you. Thanks.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

rory1mickey1 <rachel@...>

Thankyou - our table salt here only specifies chloride and sodium.....no iodine.

Also i have swapped our hymalyan salt licks for normal white salt block free choice as they are sodium, chloride and mag ox; good idea?

rachel Kent, UK
2012