Soreness in newly barefoot horse

Well, I got brave and pulled Shahtahr's shoes two days ago. Shahtahr foundered several months ago and has approx 5 degrees rotation in right front, and just very slightly in left front. I think he has had some ongoing laminitis since then too, as there are some rings in the hoof wall above where the bulge from rotation is.

He was actually never very lame - at most a grade 1 maybe when lunging circles. He has been in NB shoes with frog support pads, and had been since 2005.

We pulled his shoes on Tuesday. He was a little tender and walking a little gingerly, but honestly, he was moving around pretty darned well even on my concrete driveway and I thought I'd be able to get away without boots.

Well, as of today, he is dead lame on his right front. I have never seen him so lame. I know I need to get boots. But my question is - is this normal to have happen after a couple of day of doing pretty well after pulling shoes? Should I be panicking? Could the trim have set off another laminitis attack? It rained yesterday and all through the night, so his pasture is now all squishy mud. I would think that would make him less sore, but could it do the opposite?

His trim is apparently pretty good - someone from here (thank you!!!) has looked at pics and I'm waiting for final touchup recommendations, but she gave it a basic thumb's up.

I'm just so disappointed to see him get worse after two days instead of better...I'm very worried!

Jennifer & Shahtahr
Clovis, CA
2012

Linda <PapBallou@...>

Well, I got brave and pulled Shahtahr's shoes two days ago. Shahtahr foundered several months ago and has approx 5 degrees rotation in right front, and just very slightly in left front. I think he has had some ongoing laminitis since then too, as there are some rings in the hoof wall above where the bulge from rotation is.

Jennifer -

Shahtahr has sinking in the RF. Pulling the shoes and getting him into boots and pads, with a good trim is the recommended way to help resuspend such a coffin bone.

It can't resuspend overnight. It takes new hoof wall growing in at a correct angle in relation to the position of the derotated CB to start that resuspension process. Right now, those are tender soles that haven't been on the ground in ages. The RF coffin bone is sitting lower than it should be so that makes it more of a candidate to need additional support through this rehab.

Active laminitis - is he getting nibbles of grass in your paddock? Ohterwise, your hay is low in s/s. He will probably be producing some less than smooth hoof wall until that foot has replaced itself, or until the majority of the wall is *new*...all assuming that the trim is maintained correctly along the way. And, a foot with sinking can cause the wall to *wrinkle*.

Get some type of pad material to duct tape to the bottom of his feet while waiting for boots. Anti-fatigue mats, garden kneeling pads, heavy duty styrofoam insulation...

You're doing fine...

Linda
EC Primary Response
West Coast