Pergolide Prascend Transition

erinosh1962

I haven't been paying as much attention to the group lately as Maverick has been doing great on 1.75mg of compounded Pergolide in capsule form for several years.

Now my vet doesn't want to give me prescription anymore and wants to switch to Prascend.

My concern is that I have heard the Prascend can't really be broken up and my choice would be 1mg or 2mg. Is this true?

I have also heard about reducing dosage when going to Prascend, but at this time of year would I dare to reduce to 1mg?

Also no capsule form only tablet? I've been feeding the capsule in a handful of low carb feed for many years with no issues. Have horses been eating the tablet as well?

I did some searching of old posts before writing this but couldn't quite get a grasp on exactly what the advice would be for this.

Not only am I concerned about the changing to Prascend at this time of year but the pricing too. I'm guessing that my cost might double???

Maverick does have a case history but not sure how to find the link anymore -- I haven't changed his dosage in many years and have only slightly changed his diet so I haven't updated it in a long time.

Thanks in advance

Erin
Vancouver WA
Maverick -- Joined Group approx Jan 2004

Lavinia <dnlf@...>

My concern is that I have heard the Prascend can't really be broken up and my choice would be 1mg or 2mg. Is this true?
I have also heard about reducing dosage when going to Prascend, but at this time of year would I dare to reduce to 1mg?
Also no capsule form only tablet? I've been feeding the capsule in a handful of low carb feed for many years with no issues. Have horses been eating the tablet as well?
Not only am I concerned about the changing to Prascend at this time of year but the pricing too. I'm guessing that my cost might double???
Hi Erin,
Well that stinks - why fix it if it ain't broke? Unfortunately, yes the cost is quite a bit higher for the Prascend vs compounded pergolide. Definiely would not drop the dose at this time of year, esp when changing the form of the drug. Prascend is still pergolide and most of the anecdotal evidence says it is not any more effective than the compounded CAPSULES (liquid, powder are known to have potency and shelf-life issues).
It is only available as small 1mg tablets, which can broken in half but says not to crush so your dose would probably need to go up to 2mg. There haven't been any reports that it is any harder to get them to eat the tiny pill than the capsules.
If Maverick's history was in the old Sporthorses database, you'll need to make a new case history for him here:

Sorry, the old Sporthorse database is no longer available to add to.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

ermintrudeclaire

We have just done this transition as our vet said they couldn’t prescribe
pergolide any more it would have to be prascend. The only effect I have
seen is to my bank balance as it is more expensive. The ponies don’t seem to
have noticed at all. I give it them in a treacle sandwich in the morning
and there was no change when we swapped over but we kept the dose the same

claire:-}
uk, july 10

Kay Minnoch

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Lavinia" <dnlf@...> wrote:

I have also heard about reducing dosage when going to Prascend, but at this time of year would I dare to reduce to 1mg?
Hi Erin,
Well that stinks - why fix it if it ain't broke? Unfortunately, y Definiely would not drop the dose at this time of year, esp when canging the form of the drug >
Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team
Wholeheartedly agree with Lavina - I was told to reduce the dose when making the switch also - I made the switch June 1st - my horse had feet issues and arthritis in addition to the PPID/IR - we put her to sleep July 6th. After the ist 10 days I knew we were in trouble s and tried adding Comp Pergolide to the Prascend the vet had given me - I believe lowering the dose and changing the form was the last nail..............
Kay for Lakota (dancing on the stars)
Dec 2009 So Ca