latest blood work

millionairess1989

Here is Mill's latest blood work from Cornell

ACTH 36.8 g/mL (9-35)
Insulin 19.16 uIU/mL (10-40)
Glucose 91 mg/dL (71-113)
Free T4 1.16 ng/dL (1.2-1.8)

How much should I increase her Pergolide for seasonal rise? She is on 3 mg right now.
Is any medication recommended for this slightly low T4 reading?

Jennifer & Mill in TN
Jan 2011
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory3/files/Millionairess/

merlin5clougher <janieclougher@...>

Hi, Jennifer -

If this were me, I would increase by 1 mg, and re-test in 3 weeks. In fact, two of my crew are on 3 mg, and also close to the top end of normal, so I bumped them up to 4 mg.

For the thyroid, I would make sure she is getting enough selenium, vitamin E, and iodine. Insufficient iodine, or too much iodine, can cause thyroid hiccups; thyroxine production can also be influenced by E and selenium.

For some reason, when I opened her June 2012 history update, it was blank. On the Jan 2012 case history (thanks for the link!), I didn't see any mineral mix, unless I missed it. So she could well need some iodine and selenium.

Hugs to Mill.

Jaini (BVSc),Merlin,Maggie,Gypsy
BC09
EC mod/support

--- In EquineCushings@..., "millionairess1989" <millionairess1989@...> wrote:

Here is Mill's latest blood work from Cornell

ACTH 36.8 g/mL (9-35)
Insulin 19.16 uIU/mL (10-40)
Glucose 91 mg/dL (71-113)
Free T4 1.16 ng/dL (1.2-1.8)

How much should I increase her Pergolide for seasonal rise? She is on 3 mg right now.
Is any medication recommended for this slightly low T4 reading?

Jennifer & Mill in TN
Jan 2011
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory3/files/Millionairess/

millionairess1989

Hi Jaini,
I don't know what is up with the case history for June-I can access it from my computer but who knows.

Re minerals-Mill gets iodized salt and 1/2 t magnesium. Do horses often need more iodine than what is in salt?

New hay is coming in a few weeks and will need testing. So far Mill has not been on a selenium supplement.

I will start increasing the Pergolide tomorrow and see where that gets us. Is the goal to have the ACTH at the low or middle range of normal? I realize we are not that close right now.

Thanks,