Help !

evalkiunas@...

My horse has recently been diagnosed with cushings I have him on pergolide thyro l and aspirin and a low starch pellet to mix meds in . He's been on all that for 30 days - and now refuses to eat his pellets -- I've tried sugar free syrup sugar free applesauce sugar free pepermints - nothing he just refuses to eat -- please help -- Edvyna

Sent from my iPhone

Lavinia <dnlf@...>

My horse has recently been diagnosed with cushings I have him on pergolide thyro l and aspirin and a low starch pellet to mix meds in . He's been on all that for 30 days - and now refuses to eat his pellets -- I've tried sugar free syrup sugar free applesauce sugar free pepermints - nothing he just refuses to eat
Hi Edvyna
Welcome to the group. It sounds like your boy may be experiencing the "pergolide veil", a temporary disinterest in his food that is caused by the pergolide. It can be helped using APF, an adaptogen made by Auburn Labs. He also may have decided that he just doesn't like the "stuff" that is mixed into his pellets. We can help you sort thru all of this but we need you to fill out a case history for your boy on our sister site ECHistory5. You'll need to join but it will only take a minute. Here's the link:

The list follows a protocol that we call DDT/E, which is short for Diagnosis, Diet, Trim and Exercise.

DIAGNOSIS: Is thru bloodwork. PPID is treated with pergolide. We recommend the ACTH test for PPID(Cushings) and Insulin/Glucose/Leptin sent to Cornell for IR. How was your boy diagnosed physical symptoms? Bloodwork? We need the test results, lab normals and units of measure. What dose of pergolide is he on in mg?
He may also be Insulin Resistant (IR), a different issue from PPID, which is treated with diet. Why is he on thyro-L? Primary hypothyroidism is rare in horses. Ususally, low thyroid readings are due to deficiencies in the diet and/or secondary to other health issues. It resolves when the diet and health issues are correctly addressed.

DIET: Low fat/sugar/starch forage with minerals balanced to the hay analysis. We recommend sending a cored sample of your hay to Equi-Analytical for the Trainer #603 test($49). Soak the hay until you have the assay back so as to make it safer to feed. You were sent the temporary emergwency diet when you joined. Start your boy on this until you have more information. No feed from a bag, apples, carrots, sugary treats, pasture.

TRIM: Physiologically correct with backed toes and low heels. Is he having any foot issues?

EXERCCISE: Best IR buster there is but never force a sore horse to move. Great for keeping a PPID horse ib shape as well.

Why is he on aspirin? What low starch pellet is he on? Most feeds in a bag won't be low enough to be safe for an IR horse. I know all of this will probably make your head spin - it's normal. We've all been there and are here to help. Ask any questions as they come up.
Please sign your posts with your name, general location and year of joining. This helps us to give you better answers.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team