Equimins Advance Concentrate Meta Balance Formula 1 or 2?

shesky1996 <shesky1996@...>

I've just ordered the Equimins Advance Concentrate Meta Balance and was asked if I wanted the original Formula 1 or Formula 2 - I went for Formula 2 as it is higher in Magnesium and Copper, was this the right thing to do? Just wanted to check, but thought he could do with the extra as Magnesium will help his EMS? and he has MSM for his old injury which I think someone said effects their copper intake?

I haven't been able to get hay analysis for my current batch of hay and since I cannot guarantee supply, I thought it best to use the Equimins Advance Concentrate Meta Balance as advised by a few people on here when I searched for it.

I also had a previous question about Oats which hasn't been answered, so I was wondering if someone can help?

If he drops weight on his new diet and I need to add Oats, which Oats? Whole, Rolled, Crushed or doesn't it matter? Shesould they be soaked or not?

I was also advised to only feed these when he had worked hard, but wouldnt that cause colic? Is it better to feed a very small amount each day so that when I do need to feed a 50:50 oat/beet split, he is used to them?

Thanks,
Sarah & Shesky (UK)

Lavinia <dnlf@...>

If he drops weight on his new diet and I need to add Oats, which Oats? Whole, Rolled, Crushed or doesn't it matter? Shesould they be soaked or not?
I was also advised to only feed these when he had worked hard, but wouldnt that cause colic? Is it better to feed a very small amount each day so that when I do need to feed a 50:50 oat/beet split, he is used to them?
Hi Sarah,
You only need to consider the oats addition if Shesky is not able to maintain proper weight and energy on a correct, mineral-balanced, hay-based diet while working regularly.
The type of oats doesn't matter. No, you don't need to soak them. Just mix it in 50-50 (by dry weight) with the beet pulp and feed within one hour of completeion of exercise. DO NOT use at any other time. The reason to use only at this time is that after exercise the body is able to use the resulting glucose thru a different pathway than the usual insulin-directed one so that the body can absorb the fuel. Normally, the oats will lead to an insulin spike that can set off laminitis in an IR horse. Here is the link to the "Feeding Laminitics Recovered when back to work" file":

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

--- In EquineCushings@..., "shesky1996" <shesky1996@...> wrote:

I went for Formula 2 as it is higher in Magnesium and Copper, was this the right thing to do?

Yes, you want Formula 2, which also has no added iron.

EC Co-owner
Feb 2001

shesky1996 <shesky1996@...>

Thank you do much! I actually made the right decision for a change :)

--- In EquineCushings@..., "drkellon" <drkellon@...> wrote:

--- In EquineCushings@..., "shesky1996" <shesky1996@> wrote:

I went for Formula 2 as it is higher in Magnesium and Copper, was this the right thing to do?

Yes, you want Formula 2, which also has no added iron.

EC Co-owner
Feb 2001

shesky1996 <shesky1996@...>

thank you Lavinia - I want to be prepared as last year he did get quite skinny do I just wanted to make sure I knew what to do of I needed to.

Sarah and Shesky, UK

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Lavinia" <dnlf@...> wrote:

[...]

Just to make this perfectly clear, weight loss is not a reason to feed oats. Oats are used ONLY to help boost liver and muscle glycogen in IR horses that are in work. Timing of the feeding is very important.

If the horse is not in work, you need safe concentrated fiber sources of calories, like beet pulp or soy hulls. Older horses may also have issues with efficiently utilizing their hay because of changes in the angle of their tooth chewing surface - an issue entirely separately from missing or diseased teeth. Well soaked/wet hay pellets/cubes can make a huge difference for those horses.

EC Co-owner
Feb 2001

capnmrgn2000 <capnmrgn2000@...>

thank you Lavinia - I want to be prepared as last year he did get quite skinny do I just wanted to make sure I knew what to do of I needed to.

Sarah and Shesky, UK
Hi Sarah,
Sounds like you are on the right track!
Just a quick reminder to trim your posts (delete all or most of the post you're responding to) and to also add your date of joining the list to your signature - Thanks so much!
CHeryl and Ollie in MA
Jan. 2004
EC list support

shesky1996

Hi Sarah,
Sounds like you are on the right track!
Just a quick reminder to trim your posts (delete all or most of the post you're responding to) and to also add your date of joining the list to your signature - Thanks so much!
CHeryl and Ollie in MA
Jan. 2004
EC list support
Thanks - how do I find my date of joining? I joined years ago and cannot remember when. Thanks

Sarah & Shesky, UK

shesky1996

Just to make this perfectly clear, weight loss is not a reason to feed oats. Oats are used ONLY to help boost liver and muscle glycogen in IR horses that are in work. Timing of the feeding is very important.

EC Co-owner
Feb 2001
Thanks so much - I think I will steer clear of the Oats then and if I have a problem, will come back and ask for advise.

Sarah & Shesky, UK

Nancy C

Sarah

Per current records you joined in June of 2011

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

NewEnglandEquineBalance@...

shesky1996

Thanks Nancy :)

Sarah & Shesky, June 2011 (UK)

amberleystar

Hi Sarah

I will upload the spec for both Formula 1 and 2 in the file section. I am the person who got Equimins to make the MetaBalance and asked them to improve the spec a couple of months back, but due to some objections from users of the original version they agreed to make 2 versions, hence F1 and F2.

Neither version have added iron, but with F2 we have taken out the manganese as well and upped the copper, magnesium slightly and very slightly decreased the selenium as F1 has a lot. I also requested more Vit E and lysine. The changes are a reflection of all the analysis results that I have seen over the past couple of years and I am now finding that F2 balances out most hay and pasture reasonably well with with less need to add other minerals, or if needing to get the ratios really tight then less need to add other minerals. I have also found that the horses love the taste of the F2, mine included which is a real bonus!

Please note that I am no commission from Equimins, but have found them brilliant at producing what we need.

We upload the specs for both F1 and F2

Heather
UK
2009