lost blood samples

millionairess1989

How long are plasma blood samples good for? The ACTH & insulin sample was frozen and the glucose sample was refrigerated. Both were shipped with ice packs from KY going to Cornell. They were sent express mail at 2:30pm yesterday, with delivery guaranteed by 3pm today and are missing. If the box turns up is there any value to having the tests done?

Jennifer & Mill in TN
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory3/Millionairess

Lavinia <dnlf@...>

Hi Jennifer,
If the samples remain frozen they are fine. Once thawed, they start to degrade. Will depend on what condition they are received in. If they don't arrive today I would be looking for a refund from the shipper for all the costs you incurred, not only the shipping costs. And would redo the bloodwork.

Lavinia, Dante. George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

millionairess1989

Thanks, Lavinia. Fortunately the samples arrived at Cornell which I found out when the prelim glucose results were faxed. The USPS server was down so their tracking showed nothing since last night which is what got me worried.

Since I borrow the centrifuge from the animal hospital at which I work and my friend/co-worker who is a vet tech does the blood draw, the only real expense for me is the testing and shipping. Repeating it all would just be a matter of time and coordination. But we are all glad not to have to, especially Mill.

Jennifer & Mill in TN

perigrey <perigrey@...>

They were sent express mail at 2:30pm yesterday, with delivery guaranteed by 3pm today and are missing. If the box turns up is there any value to having the tests done?
the same thing happened to me last year. I think it was about 48 hours before they got it. I called cornell to check if they should bother doing the testing. they said the most important thing was being sure the blood was separated quickly. after that, the serum is not as perishable. When they finally got my samples, the ice and serum had melted but the serum was still chilled. the expert said the sample was fine and the result would be reliable. who did you ship with?
good luck
sally, moss beach, 6/10