Probiotic Safe to Give IR/PPID horse?

lauramollrich <lmollrich@...>

Searching for a probiotic. Does this have what a PPID/IR horse can have?

AniMed AniGest Digestive Enzyme & Probiotic Equine Supplement

AniMed AniGest Digestive Enzyme & Probiotic Equine Supplement is a unique nutritional digestive supplement scientfically prepared with acid stable enzymes and probiotics. The enzymes in AniGest include: Amyliase, to aid in the digestion of starches and sugars; Protease, to aid in the digestion of proteins to amino acids; Lipase, to aid in the digestion of fat and Cellulase, to aid in the digestion of fiber. The live yeast (probiotics) in AniGest includes; S. Cerevisiae strain 1026 and Lactobacillus Acidopilus.

Improvements in digestive efficienacy increase the results from your feed and supplement program, helping your horse reach and maintain optimal condition and peak performance

Nancy C

Hi Laura

It's okay. Sometimes, not often, yeast can be an issue in taste or allergy.

Ration Plus and Forco are suggested here most often because they have been independently tested for effectiveness. They are both safe for IR horses. Forco has yeast.

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

NewEnglandEquineBalance@...

--- In EquineCushings@..., "lauramollrich" <lmollrich@...> wrote:

Searching for a probiotic. Does this have what a PPID/IR horse can have?

AniMed AniGest Digestive Enzyme & Probiotic Equine Supplement

Sent from Samsung tabletNancy <threecatfarm@...> wrote:^^It's okay.  Sometimes, not often, yeast can be an issue in taste or allergy.^^

Hmmm...I have used Forco daily, for over a year, switched to Ration Plus because his diarrhea was not stopping and it was suggested. It didn't seem to change anything, however after almost two bottles, his diarrhea stopped. So, I'm not sure if the Ration Plus actually worked or not. For convenience, I went back to Forco (Ration plus is liquid and Force is powder). A month later, he has diarrhea again. Could it be Forco?

Also, why not daily?

CCynthia from CA
Tucker 10/10

All posts copyrighted the year posted, all rights reserved to the author of the post and list owner.  Posts may NOT be copied or intellectual property used elsewhere without written permission of the author and/or list owner.

Post message: EquineCushings@...
Subscribe:  EquineCushings-subscribe@...

Nancy C

Sounds to my like you'd want to stay on the Ration Plus.

Not sure I'm following the last question. If the horse needs the probiotic it should be given per dosing instructions.

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

NewEnglandEquineBalance@...

--- In EquineCushings@..., cboriskin <cboriskin@...> wrote:

Hmmm...I have used Forco daily, for over a year, switched to Ration Plus because his diarrhea was not stopping and it was suggested. It didn't seem to change anything, however after almost two bottles, his diarrhea stopped.

gypsylassie

--- In EquineCushings@..., cboriskin <cboriskin@...> wrote:

......I have used Forco daily, for over a year, switched to Ration Plus because his diarrhea was not stopping and it was suggested. It didn't seem to change anything, however after almost two bottles, his diarrhea stopped. So, I'm not sure if the Ration Plus actually worked or not.
Hi Cynthia,
I have a friend with an older horse that had bad diarrhea. She tried everything and finally cleared it up with Ration Plus. He also does better with chopped hay.
Laura K. Chappie & Beau
N.IL.2011

I have a friend with an older horse that had bad diarrhea. She tried everything and finally cleared it up with Ration Plus. He also does better with chopped hay.<<
Tucker is only 12 (he was diagnosed at 10). Since I've had him he has always had bad diarrhea intermittenly. My vet thought he may be allergic to hay and wanted me to put him on a pellet diet. He only gets orchard grass that has been analyzed and I do balance his feed. I know when he did get stemmy forage, he reacted. If the Ration Plus worked, it took almost 3 months. That's why I didn't think it did. Does it take that long?

Cynthia Boriskin from CA
Tucker 10/10

Not sure I'm following the last question. If the horse needs the probiotic it should be given per dosing instructions.<<
In the last message, it stated not to give probiotics often. I have always given it daily as recommended for maintenance. Is this not good?

Cynthia Boriskin from CA
Tucker 10/10

Lorna <briars@...>

Hi Cynthia,

In the last message, it stated not to give probiotics often.
Don't mean to barge in here,but do you mean message 171798 ?
Nancy's comment was, "Sometimes, not often, yeast can be an issue in taste or allergy." ?

I'm sure the "not often" refers to how frequently yeast can be an issue, not how frequently to feed the probiotic.(I can go to my room ,Nancy,if you say so)

I feed Ration Plus daily to 4 of my boys,ranging in age from 27 to 40.I'll continue to do this for the rest of their lives.
I'm sure there's no problem with doing that.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

gypsylassie

--- In EquineCushings@..., cynthia boriskin <cboriskin@...> wrote:

Tucker is only 12 (he was diagnosed at 10). Since I've had him he has always had bad diarrhea intermittenly. My vet thought he may be allergic to hay and wanted me to put him on a pellet diet. He only gets orchard grass that has been analyzed and I do balance his feed. I know when he did get stemmy forage, he reacted. If the Ration Plus worked, it took almost 3 months. That's why I didn't think it did. Does it take that long?
Hi Cynthia,
I'm not sure how long it took my friend's horse to get better, but I do know it was a long "battle". We've been lucky here not to have any real diarrhea, but Chappie's manure will get a bit too soft sometimes. I do have good luck with Ration Plus keeping things "well-formed". I also think stemmier hay is a factor for him. The hay we get ranges from soft long blades of grass to quite stemmy, so I give Ration Plus pretty regularly, especially when we get into a really stemmy batch.
Laura K. Chappie & Beau
N.IL.2011

do you mean message 171798 ?
Nancy's comment was, "Sometimes, not often, yeast can be an issue in taste or allergy." ?<<

Yes, I was referring to that message.

Sounds like i will be returning to Ration Plus. I just don't like having to deal with the liquid. It's a mess. Forco was just easier with giving 2 scoops.

Cynthia Boriskin from CA
Tucker 10/10

Nancy C

Don't go to our room Lorna, you have too many chores to do. And your farrier is coming.

Cynthia, Lorna's right, I meant the yeast can sometimes be a problem.

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

NewEnglandEquineBalance@...

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Lorna" <briars@...> wrote:

I feed Ration Plus daily to 4 of my boys,ranging in age from 27 to 40.I'll continue to do this for the rest of their lives.
I'm sure there's no problem with doing that.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

Lorna <briars@...>

I just don't like having to deal with the liquid. It's a mess. Forco was just easier with giving 2 scoops.
I don't know what to call the gizmo I use,but you can find it at a drug store,where you find droppers and medication-givers,etc.
It is a rubber,cone-shaped doo-hicky.It inserts into the Ration Plus bottle small end first.Push it right in and it stays there.
Insert a syringe,without the needle,into the hole ,turn bottle upside down and withdraw however many mls' you need.
Bob's your uncle.
No muss ,no fuss.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

Linda <PapBallou@...>

Bob's your uncle.
No muss ,no fuss.

Who is Bob? What uncle? Whose uncle? Who is Uncle Bob?

Linda
EC Primary Response
West Coast
May 2004

lauramollrich <lmollrich@...>

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Lorna" <briars@...> wrote:

Hi Lorna,

Like some of the other group members, I was looking for something quick, easy and not messy, in a powder form. I am really glad I was told about the yeast being an issue.

I guess I could try using your gizmo if I can find it at my drug store. Next time you're at your drug store maybe you could find out what name it's being sold as for me :)

Laura Mollrich
Laguna Beach, CA
1/2012

I don't know what to call the gizmo I use,but you can find it at a drug store,where you find droppers and medication-givers,etc.
It is a rubber,cone-shaped doo-hicky.It inserts into the Ration Plus bottle small end first.Push it right in and it stays there.
Insert a syringe,without the needle,into the hole ,turn bottle upside down and withdraw however many mls' you need.
Lorna in Ontario,Canada

Lorna <briars@...>

Next time you're at your drug store maybe you could find out what name it's being sold as for me :)

I Googled it,Laura.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-oral-syringe/ID=prod6001629-product

For Linda,I Googled this,too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob%27s_your_uncle

Got to dash.
Farrier's coming.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

Pamela Bramell

Cynthia, Buttercup had diarrhea on and off for months. I couldn't figure out what it was. I finally wormed with a 30 day feed through wormer and put her on some Ration Plus. After about 2 weeks or so, her diarrhea cleared up. The 30 days for the wormer was over around the beginning of September and she continued with the Ration Plus and normal stools. I was out of town last week for two days and forgot to tell my husband and daughter to give Butters her Ration Plus. When I got back, she had loose stools and wet toots again. I put her back on the Ration Plus and her stools have been firming up and the runny toots are dissipating. Just ordered another bottle of Ration Plus for her. Don't know what is in it, but it has certainly helped my Buttercup. Thinking I will just keep her on it since it seems to help with the diarrhea.

Pam/Buttercup, who's much cuter without diarrhea and wet toots/Frosty/Story
12/10
Va

--- In EquineCushings@..., cboriskin <cboriskin@...> wrote:

however after almost two bottles, his diarrhea stopped. So, I'm not sure if the Ration Plus actually worked or not. For convenience, I went back to Forco (Ration plus is liquid and Force is powder). A month later, he has diarrhea again. Could it be Forco?

Also, why not daily?

CCynthia from CA
Tucker 10/10

ferne fedeli

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:27 AM, cynthia boriskin <cboriskin@...> wrote:
Sounds like i will be returning to Ration Plus. I just don't like having
to deal with the liquid.
Guess I'm a weirdo that actually prefers liquid!!! I just use a small
1 tablespoon
measure and fill it half full. Works good for me... Of course, I
have 3 horses on
Ration Plus, so if I get a little too much in the measure, I save it
for the next
horse...
Ferne Fedeli
No. California
4/2010

Guess I'm a weirdo that actually prefers liquid!!! I just use a small1 tablespoon
measure and fill it half full.<<

I used a large syringe without the plunger that has the ml marked on it. It's easy, just gets all messy. I have to rinse the syringe out daily. Forco is just easier for me because I scoop it out and add it to the measured minerals and I don't have to measure it out everyday since I measure minerals out every 2 weeks.

Cynthia Boriskin from CA
Tucker 10/10

I guess I could try using your gizmo if I can find it at my drug store.<<
Measuring wasn't the problem. It was after pouring the Ration Plus out of the syringe. Having to measure it out daily and rinsing the syringe out was just another two steps I had to do everyday. I only had to measure Forco out every 2 weeks since I just measured it out and added it to my mineral batch.

I used a large syringe without the plunger. The Ration Plus had a lid with a small hole, so you had to squeeze it out anyhow. I just put my finger at the end of the syringe to keep it from leaking out while I measured it. Then I'd pour it onto his pellets.

Cynthia Boriskin from CA
Tucker 10/10

gypsylassie

--- In EquineCushings@..., cynthia boriskin <cboriskin@...> wrote:

Measuring wasn't the problem. It was after pouring the Ration Plus out of the syringe. Having to measure it out daily and rinsing the syringe out was just another two steps I had to do everyday.
Hi Cynthia,
My inner tomboy comes into play when I mix supps. I just use a large Tbs sized spoon, like Ferne, filled 1/2 way, and stir it into the r/s/r bp, pellets and supps mix, then swipe the spoon clean with a finger, then just rub the finger on my work pants. Nice artistic mix of umber and dark blue-green(from the spirulina). All kidding aside, I hope your boy is feeling better.
Laura K. Chappie & Beau
N.IL.2011