Time to Clip???

lauramollrich <lmollrich@...>

We all keep waiting for this S. California heat wave to fade away but it's still here! One day the forecast is for 90's the next day cooling trend so not sure what to do regarding clipping. I wasn't going to clip this year but it is so hot that P is sweaty when I get to the barn. He was shedding a lot a month ago but now he's a fur bear. And, increasing his pergolide to get him through the seasonal rise has made him very dopey. He's not a happy camper.

Should I have him clipped or wait until cooler weather. If I do that then I will have to blanket and I didn't want to this year.

Help!

Laura Mollrich
Laguna Beach, CA
1/2012

meg_findhorse

I live in north Texas and clipped mine last weekend. They had 1/2 inch thick coats, which by color can tell is winter coat coming in. They are Icelandics, so know they will keep growing their hair.

We still have had over 90F temps and won't be cool for awhile yet. Coldest is in mid-60s at this time of year. I went ahead and clipped with a #10 blade, so pretty short. Left their legs and heads unclipped.

They were really sweating with their winter coats coming in and are much happier now that clipped, though they are now more vulnerable to insects again.

Meg

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, "lauramollrich" <lmollrich@...> wrote:

We all keep waiting for this S. California heat wave to fade away but it's still here! One day the forecast is for 90's the next day cooling trend so not sure what to do regarding clipping. I wasn't going to clip this year but it is so hot that P is sweaty when I get to the barn. He was shedding a lot a month ago but now he's a fur bear. And, increasing his pergolide to get him through the seasonal rise has made him very dopey. He's not a happy camper.

Should I have him clipped or wait until cooler weather. If I do that then I will have to blanket and I didn't want to this year.

Help!

Laura Mollrich
Laguna Beach, CA
1/2012

Nancy C

Hi Laura

If it is really hot there, he may be dopey due to that vs the pergolide, especially if you are still giving APF at 10 ml.

As for clipping, if he were my horse and I did not want to blanket him I would go hose him down during this hot spell. Make sure he has plenty of salt and ounce extra if he's sweating more than an hour - and is drinking well.

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

NewEnglandEquineBalance@gmail.com

Saucier Kathy

Laura, if you are afraid to do a body clip, you could settle for a trace
clip. Just shave the area from the chest up the neck to the throat and wide
enough to go beyond the neck grooves on each side.

I'm here in north TX with Meg and we have even had to clip a non Cushing's
horse in our barn because of the coat she gets and the heat we have. And
gave mine a trace clip yesterday. I kept a trace clip all last winter and
it sure helped with dissipating the heat, especially when I rode him.

Years ago when I had my Cushing's horse Magic, I did body clips from March
until October. He grew plenty coat for winter again after that October
clip. I used one of those Clipmasters (big heavy clippers that cover a lot
of area at a time and built to withstand the work) with a blade that cut
just slightly longer than regular clippers.

Hope that helps.

Kathy Saucier

Texas

2005

loes <loes1@...>

Laura:

I clipped Romke last week. with the hot hot days and cool nights we have a lot of colic in this area. He was uncomfortable, his temperature way too high for his "normal" so I didn't want to take a chance, will deal with the blanketing if I have to. I am in the hi-desert, it will be in the 100 today and 108 is expected for tomorrow with a hot week to follow. Better be safe than sorry. it is easier for him to deal with the cool nights than the hot days in a heavy duty fur coat.

This year has been miserable.

Loes
Southern California

On Sep 29, 2012, at 6:23 AM, Nancy wrote:

As for clipping,
Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

NewEnglandEquineBalance@gmail.com

Laura Mollrich
Laguna Beach, CA
1/2012

ermintrudeclaire

We are in the UK and going into the winter now but I clipped a couple of
weeks ago as we had a very warm spell and BB was just too hot/sweaty in the
day with her first flush of winter coat. Its easier for me to rug her up to
keep her warm (not that she has shown any signs of being cold) than try and
keep her cool. It has grown back now to a kind of velvety ‘pelt’ which seems
to insulate her well.

claire:-}

meg_findhorse

I did clip mine with #10 blade, but have other blades to cut longer. If you want to clip some, then definitely do a trace clip or use a longer length. In the Spring initially cut them at 1/4", then later did a 2nd clip with #10 that is shorter.

I plan to buy a 1/2" blade can use also. That's longer than most any horse around grows in winter anyway.

Meg

Texas 2009?

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, "Gary & Kathy Saucier" <gksaucier@...> wrote:

Laura, if you are afraid to do a body clip, you could settle for a trace
clip. <snip>
of area at a time and built to withstand the work) with a blade that cut
just slightly longer than regular clippers.

Hope that helps.

Kathy Saucier

Texas

2005

fionn@...

Fionn is already so furry that I just decided to bite the bullet, bought clippers and body clipped him today. I've never done it before so he looks quite patchworky but I am thinking I will get enough practice to get better before we go out in public. I decided the never ending blanket changes are better than having him be hot all the time. He was just miserable with all that hair.

How do people clip and not get covered in hair? I was completely covered and glad no one was around to see what a mess I was! I hope the Prascend slows down all this crazy hair growth!

Michelle and Fionn
Lexington KY USA
fionn@qx.net
6/2012

On Sep 28, 2012, at 4:11 PM, "lauramollrich" <lmollrich@cox.net> wrote:

We all keep waiting for this S. California heat wave to fade away but it's still here! One day the forecast is for 90's the next day cooling trend so not sure what to do regarding clipping. I wasn't going to clip this year but it is so hot that P is sweaty when I get to the barn. He was shedding a lot a month ago but now he's a fur bear. And, increasing his pergolide to get him through the seasonal rise has made him very dopey. He's not a happy camper.

Should I have him clipped or wait until cooler weather. If I do that then I will have to blanket and I didn't want to this year.

meg_findhorse

How do people clip and not get covered in hair?
Who says we don't get covered in hair? LOL! Some of the clipper also specifically blow hair back onto you, so they have that design flaw. No way to avoid it on some clippers even with the wind blowing away from you.

Meg

lauramollrich <lmollrich@...>

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, loes <loes1@...> wrote:

Hi Loes,

We have a lot of colic in our area also. Since San Juan Capistrano is just a couple of miles inland from the Pacific Ocean we do get cool nights. But, it has been hotter than a pistol during the day with high humidity! You're right, this year HAS been miserable! I was thinking it was the Pergolide increase all along that was making him lethargic, but someone suggested that he is just too hot and uncomfortable. I think I will go ahead and have P clipped tomorrow.

I so didn't want to blanket--never ending task of deciding which one to throw on. Then there's the laundry part of it. I am hoping that since he's getting clipped earlier than normal he will grow some coat so I won't have to.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Laura Mollrich
Laguna Beach, CA
1/2012

I clipped Romke last week. With the hot hot days and cool nights we have a lot of colic in this area. He was uncomfortable, his temperature way too high for his "normal" so I didn't want to take a chance, will deal with the blanketing if I have to. Better be safe than sorry. it is easier for him to deal with the cool nights than the hot days in a heavy duty fur coat.