Prascend experiences

Terri <frostiesmom@...>

My horse was chosen to be in the clinical trials for Prascend. At that time, he was not being treated at all. I had purchased him from the local horse sale, outbidding the kill buyer. I had not even laid a hand on him when I bid, I KNOW, STUPID!!! (He has turned out to be the best horse for my beginner rescue volunteers I could ask for!) They ran him down the alley and loaded him in my trailer without me ever touching him. All I could think was that he was the hairiest horse I had ever seen. Since it was February, and he had wintered in the high mountains of Colorado, I didn't even consider Cushings then. Once I got him home, and actually put my hands on him, I found out how skinny he was under all that hair. Now, I want everyone to understand, I have had horses for over 40 years, run a 501c3 rescue, and had NEVER done anything quite so hairbrained before. Once he started shedding, I realized that his coat was NOT just from winter. He shed out about half way, then just stopped. I knew without a doubt that I was the proud owner of a Cushings horse. As you know, vets want to do a LOT of testing before starting meds, and with the costs of rescue, I was having trouble coming up with it. Then I saw (on this group, I think) that OSU was looking for Cushings horses that were NOT being treated for a study to get FDA approval for pergolide in horses. I contacted the Vet in charge of the study at OSU, and we took Uncle Sam to see her. It was a day's drive, but he had no problems at all. As soon as she saw him, she said he was definately a candidate for the trial. I left him with OSU for 6 months. They tested him before, during, and at the end of the study period. His bloodwork showed marked improvement. When I went to pick him up, I didn't even recognize my own horse! He looked like a 5 year old instead of 20+. The sponsoring company continued to provide his meds for an extended period of time, in exchange for my answers to their questions every few months. Never once has Uncle Sam had ANY signs of laminitis. In fact, my farrier always comments on how wonderful his feet are. I have never put shoes on him, nothing bothers him on trailrides. Once I ran out of the Prascend, because of the cost difference, I decided to go with the compounded pergolide. This past summer was not great for us. He did not shed properly, and he is now back on Prascend, where he will stay. To me, the added cost is worth the better results. He is on 2 mg daily. We just put 2 pills in a syringe, add 5 cc. water, shake, and squirt it on his feed. He is also on the Prascend website, Stories of Hope. I know Prascend sure helped me and Uncle Sam!!!