Is R/S ok if no molasses BP?

Karin Sherbin <ksherbin@...>

After weeks of arguing with the BO, she appears to be doing R/S/R of the
beet pulp, which has no molasses in it. I noticed when I was able to be at
the farm at feeding time the second rinsing came out clear right away. Then
I read somewhere that if the BP has no molasses, the second rinsing isn't
necessary.

Any thoughts? The BO would love to say "I told you so!" and drop the extra
task if it's unnecessary.

Also I read the BP files and just want to make sure I understand correctly:
if Goya needs 22 pounds of hay a day (2% of his body weight), then I can
substitute up to 9 pounds of BP a day (40% of daily need). But if that high
an amount of BP, I need to supplement with phosphorus, is that correct?

Karin & Goya

Virginia October 2012

Lavinia <dnlf@...>

if Goya needs 22 pounds of hay a day (2% of his body weight), then I can substitute up to 9 pounds of BP a day (40% of daily need). But if that high an amount of BP, I need to supplement with phosphorus, is that correct?
Hi Karin,
The first rinse is to remove any UFO's and surface iron so it doesn't get soaked INTO the BP. The soak is to reduce sugars. The final rinse is to wash away the sugars that were suspended in the soak water and sticking to the surface of the BP. Sugar is coloress so the final rinse water should look clear. BO doesn't get to say "I told you so" :)

Technically, you can feed up to 40% of the total diet in BP. This is DRY weight, not after soaking, which becomes a ginormous amount of soaked BP. If feeding this much definitly need to add 1 tsp monosodium phospate per lb of BP to balance the major minerals. Most horses do not like the taste of phosphorus so that much could be a problem. Will need to balance the traces as well. Goya may not eat this amount of BP or may not be interested in enough hay to make up the rest of his needed food - you'll need to experiment.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

Why phosphate when feeding beet pulp. What does BP have that needs to be balanced by the phos.

Debora
Hamilton, MT

If feeding this much definitly need to add 1 tsp monosodium phospate per lb of BP to balance the major minerals. Most horses do not like the taste of phosphorus so that much could be a problem. Will need to balance the traces as well. Goya may not eat this amount of BP or may not be interested in enough hay to make up the rest of his needed food - you'll need to experiment.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

Lavinia <dnlf@...>

Why phosphate when feeding beet pulp. What does BP have that needs to be balanced by the phos.
Hi Debora,
High calcium. If feeding more than 1 lb need to take it into account.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

lj friedman

I am researching Phosphate defeciency per the archived messages ( Some of the posts are beyond my knowledge at this time but.. dont worry.. I have a book in the mail "Equine Applied and Clinical Nutrition 2013, that might help before I take Dr. K's NRC course.) . My horse shows phosphate at 65% of RDI  and Dr. K says to fix it. I now know that beet pulp at 2.5 lbs  dry per day has a lot of Ca, hence the problem of how to fix.. At 65% RDI for Phosphate, . isnt that almost good enough to keep as is?  I cannot figure out how to fix phosphate .  It seems to be the ONLY thing that needs fixing at this time, which pleases me, but I want to do what is needed.  . lj friedman san diego nov 2014

ECHistory8

Lorna Cane

> I have a book in the mail "Equine Applied and Clinical Nutrition 2013, that might help before I take Dr. K's NRC course.) .

Let us know how you compare the book to what you learn from Dr. Kellon's course.

Here's on e that I love.Just one of Dr. Kellon's books:

 http://books.google.ca/books/about/Horse_Journal_Guide_to_Equine_Supplement.html?id=KO6HffW7y9EC&redir_esc=y

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Lorna Cane

>( Some of the posts are beyond my knowledge at this time but.. dont worry.. I have a book in the mail "Equine Applied and Clinical Nutrition 2013, that might help before I take Dr. K's NRC course.) .

Lj,and others reading,don't be deterred by your knowledge level before taking Dr. Kellon's NRCPlus course.
Others will agree with me that she has managed to design her courses in a way that can be understood by people just getting their feet wet,so to speak,but that can also be studied by someone with more in depth knowledge,and wanting more detailed science from the material.

You are also able to ask questions as you proceed with the course material. .

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002

*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Hi Lj,

Did you post for some suggestions of nutrition books that would complement Dr. Kellon's NRC + course?  I may have missed that post.

I assume you looked for the NRC, 2007 Nutrient Requirements for Horses.  This is the basis of the NRC + course materials.  In case you didn't find it,  here is a link to a free on-line site.  The book is also available in hard copy.   Nutrient Requirements of Horses: Sixth Revised Edition

I would think the NRC, 2007 would be helpful in your search for Phosphorus requirement, toxicity, deficiency, etc.,  if I am understanding your post correctly.

Two other suggestions that I have found incredibly helpful  that I would like to share with you are "Horse Journal Guide to Equine Supplements and Nutraceuticals"  by Dr. Kellon and Pete Ramey's "Care and Rehabilitation of the Equine Foot".  Among the incredible articles in Ramey's book by well known experts there are chapters by our own expert Dr. Kellon.  The Chapters are:   Chapter 6,  Metabolic Laminitis, Chapter 7,  Nutrition and the Hoof,  Chapter  9,  Hay Analysis, and  Chapter 10,  Balancing the Diet.  Both of these books are available on Amazon.  The Ramey book is a bit pricey....worth it, but I see they have used copies, as well.

Hope you find these suggestions to be helpful.

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI  01/08