Pat

Sugars?

Pat

On Jan 12, 2013, at 9:47 AM, "maryleegrasso" <marylee@...> wrote:

Is this a suitable feed for IR?

http://www.bigvfeeds.com/index.cfm?show=10&mid=127

Thanks,
Marylee
Oct 2012, SE OK

Kathy Brinkerhoff

Hi Marylee,

Just curious as to why you are considering this feed.....are you looking for a carrier for your supplements? Or, ?

If you type 174114 in the message # box there is a post from early December, 2012 about this product. The poster contacted Big V Feeds and was given an NSC of 16.2-16.5% for Heritage L/S. The product advertises that the max starch content is 10%. I would not feed this product to an IR horse just based on that starch content alone.

Kathy Brinkerhoff

SE/WI 9/12

Lavinia <dnlf@...>

http://www.bigvfeeds.com/index.cfm?show=10&mid=127
Hi Marylee,
Contains rice bran, soy oil, alfalfa meal, added iron plus ingredients that are high-iron contaminated, starch is a whopping 10%(converts 100% to glucose) plus whatever the sugars are(unknown) and fat is minimum 6% (we look for max of 4%).
Not a good choice for an IR horse.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

Saucier Kathy

Hi Marylee. Thanks Kathy B. for finding my post from December. Below are
the exact words from the person I contacted at Big V. I'm using it for my
NON IR horse because he is an easy keeper and we don't want to take him down
a road to becoming IR. So I'm doing it as a precaution. But if he was IR,
I wouldn't touch this feed. They list starch on their label but that is not
what makes up the total when sugars are added to it. Also notice they
determine their NSC from what each ingredient averages. It sounds like they
do not test each batch of finished feed.

You might look for a Triple Crown dealer for the TC Lite. Triple Crown
dealers can also get the Ontario Dehy Timothy Balance cubes which have been
formulated for IR and approved by this group. This can be the whole diet
even.

Kathy Saucier

Texas 2005

The NSC for Heritage L/S Feed is 16.20% to 16.50%. There is some variation
in the ingredients; however, it is formulated to a max. 16.50%.

As for the Ethanol Soluble Carbohydrate, I don't have good ingredient data
for it. It has been a little harder to find accurate ESC data on ingredients
because of the lack of request for it. I have not tested for the ESC on the
feed because you are the first person to ask for it. For most people, it is
learning what the NSC is and to understand what it is used for instead of
counting Calories (this is another term that is missed used). I you have any
more questions, I would be glad to try and answer.

Terry Hays

Big V Feeds Inc.

maryleegrasso <marylee@...>

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Lavinia" wrote:
Contains rice bran, soy oil, alfalfa meal, added iron plus ingredients that are high-iron contaminated, starch is a whopping 10%(converts 100% to glucose) plus whatever the sugars are(unknown) and fat is minimum 6% (we look for max of 4%).
Not a good choice for an IR horse.

Thanks everyone for the replies on this. With this information, and NSC of 16.5%, it's not what I was hoping.

Marylee
Oct 2012, SE OK