Vet reluctance to order pergolide

lorisurina@ymail.com <JABASKA@...>

Has anyone out there had their vet refuse to order pergolide feeling they may be putting their license in jeopardy?

Lori Surina (Majik)
Tucson, AZ
12/12

Has anyone out there had their vet refuse to order pergolide feeling they may be putting their license in jeopardy?<<
My ex-vet told me it was against the law and refused to renew my prescription. After several call to other vets, I have found a well known vet in the community that wrote me a prescription.

I believe it is not against the law as long as they prescribe other than 1mg. My horse gets 1.05 mg of pergolide.

Cynthia Boriskin - from CA
Tucker 10/10

gypsylassie

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, "lorisurina@..." wrote:

Has anyone out there had their vet refuse to order pergolide feeling they may be putting their license in jeopardy?
Hi Lori,
I don't have a horse on pergolide, but have read all the posts about pergolide and Prascend with alot of interest. Cynthia is right that you can still get compounded pergolide in any amount except 1 mg. I was just on Thriving Pets website to order APF and I looked at the compounded pergolide capsule page. They have all amounts available except 1mg. (.95 and 1.05 are options for the 1mg) In the customer review section they address the prascend/pergolide "thing" and you can call them 303-333-1899 to talk about it. Maybe that would help your vet to understand that compounded is OK. I've spoken to Ian there about other things and he's very helpful. They get the orders out fast too. And if you order online, and it's over $60, shipping is free. (their price on the APF is the best I've found too, don't know about the pergolide price)
Laura K. Chappie & Beau
N.IL.2011

Lisa S

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, cynthia boriskin wrote:

Has anyone out there had their vet refuse to order pergolide feeling they may be putting their license in jeopardy?<<

My ex-vet told me it was against the law and refused to renew my prescription.

I think sometimes vets fail to communicate the distinction between doing something that is 'against the law' vs. doing something that they fear might make them subject to legal action. The two are quite different--the first one is pretty clear cut, but the second isn't, because it depends on a host of factors: current 'standard of care,' current interpretations of 'standard of care,' availability of reasonable alternatives, client's desires for their horse, client's financial condition, federal, state, or local laws, other parties involved in the equation--and of course each vet's personal 'risk' profile--leaning toward bold, or risk averse.

I recently spoke with a number of equine vets (at a large meeting) about their position on prescribing compounded pergolide. Their responses ran the entire gamut from 'will not do it' to 'do it exclusively' or 'all the time.' When pressed a bit, most of them had very reasonable explanations to support their positions.

As a hypothyroid human not well controlled on Synthroid I begged a number of doctors to script me some Armour Thyroid before I finally just gave up. Like most of you, however, I would not give up if I knew my horse needed compounded pergolide. We can be very persistent where our horses' welfare is concerned!

Lisa in TX
Pookey Bear
June 2010

Nancy C

Lori

Here are two archived posts on the subject that outline who's responsible for what on this issue.

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

NewEnglandEquineBalance@gmail.com

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, "lorisurina@..." wrote:

Has anyone out there had their vet refuse to order pergolide feeling they may be putting their license in jeopardy?

Lori Surina (Majik)
Tucson, AZ
12/12

Sg Levendusky

--- On Wed, 1/23/13, gypsylassie <lcknie@hotmail.com> wrote:

Has anyone out there had their vet refuse to order pergolide feeling they may be putting their license in jeopardy?

Hi,  I have been fighting this for 2 years.  I had used compounded Perglide for some time from Thriving Pets, with good results.  When they first started pushing Prascend, I didn't fight too hard, allowing my vet some time to adjust and learn.  Quickly, I realized that my horse wasn't doing nearly as well with the Prascend.

Last year, my husband lost his job, so I am supporting my farm, and family, on my part time income.  I wrote the vet a long letter explaining this, telling her about the research I have done, and about my good experience with Thriving Pets.  She nicely told me that my horse must have done better on the compounded pergolide, b/c the dose was inaccurate and she was probably getting a higher dose on the compounded.

This has been extremely frustrating for me.  I have had to put up multiple other important issues, because of the high cost of the pergolide, including testing, probably increasing her dosage and getting all of their teeth floated.

Stacy and
Aalia 2007
Star 2010
Georgia

Linda <PapBallou@...>

.  She nicely told me that my horse must have done better on the compounded pergolide, b/c the dose was inaccurate and she was probably getting a higher dose on the compounded.

Oh my! Now that's a new one! The reason behind the development of Prascend was in part due to the supposed instability of compounded...being lower than dispensed dose.

Linda
EC Primary Response
West Coast
May 2004

ryslady

Hi Lori, yes, my vet in California ordered compounded pergolide for me
once, then was directed by his boss not to do it again because the
compounded pergolide is not FDA approved/regulated/whatever blah, blah,
blah... Maybe you can call the compounding phamacy and ask if they have
the name & number for a vet in your area that prescribes the pergolide?
Worth a try.

* Indi & Riley - Rocking the Rehab
* Cottonwood, AZ 6/12

my vet in California ordered compounded pergolide for me
once<<

Where are you located in California? I can let you know who I go to. I called Thriving Pets to get a list, but their list was outdated.

Cynthia Boriskin from CA
Tucker 10/10