exercise for IR when lethargic?

karen sremac <karenclarinet@...>

I am confused. Exercise is good for IR. IR causes lethargy. So should I
walk trot and canter
For an hour or so? Mostly walk? So confused and concerned I didn't ride
past 2 days. I have time Tomorrow but not sat nor Sunday. I am a musician
and work on weekends. After that I could go back to daily, or nearly daily,
at minimum
of 1/2 hour, if that is recommended?

Also confused about alfalfa -only a pound or two to get pills and walk
between feeders. The problem I understood with alfalfa was possibly
footsore which he is not, thank goodness. How else does it cause problems
in some IR horses? Are untested grass hay pellets better? I bought a bag to
try...

Sorry. Someone just got me an ipad... and no, I don't know how to do much
on it. Since I'm always on the run,
I thought I could try to use it to communicate...
Karen and Serrano
Sept 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory6/files/Karen%20%26%20Serrano%20in%20Calif/
update is that he is now eating balancing minerals

Thank you so much !
Karen and Serrano sept 2012

Nancy C

Hi Karen

Our horses are like any other in that they need to be built up slowly. There are more considerations for PPID/IR horses. Here's a link to a good message Jaini did on this subject.

Alfalfa raises insulin in some horses. Insulin is what you need to worry about. Insulin attacks the feet.

Will say again as we've been saying since September - stop the Transfer Factor.

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

NewEnglandEquineBalance@gmail.com

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, karen sremac wrote:

update is that he is now eating balancing minerals

Thank you so much !
Karen and Serrano sept 2012

karen sremac <karenclarinet@...>

"...Our horses are like any other in that they need to be built up slowly.
There are more considerations for PPID/IR horses. Here's a link to a good
message Jaini did on this subject.

Alfalfa raises insulin in some horses. Insulin is what you need to worry
about. Insulin attacks the feet...."

Thank you for this! That helps clarify things in my overwhelmed head. Will
try grass pellets instead of alfalfa
tonight, and see if he eats his pills...

Am I right that I have to retest ACTH again now? Or wait on that? Last test
Nov 19.

update is that he is now eating balancing minerals

Thank you so much !
Karen and Serrano sept 2012

Teri

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, karen sremac wrote:

Will
try grass pellets instead of alfalfa
tonight, and see if he eats his pills...

My little 'picky princess' pony wasn't thrilled with Standlee's Timothy pellets, but she LOVED their Orchard Grass pellets. If your horse isn't crazy about the Timothy he might go for the Orchard grass.

Stormy has severe IR and the group advised me to stop giving them to her in case they were too high in s/s for her.
I'll leave it to the experts to advise if they would be safe for your horse.

Teri and Stormy
IN 4-2012

Hi Karen ~

Wait for the sixty days from the increase in pergolide, which will be the end of this month - so that's really only a few days away.

Ditto on what Nancy said re exercise and alfalfa. (Thanks Nancy!)

Patti Woodbury Kuvik
Vail AZ 2001
EC Support Team

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, karen sremac wrote:
snip<<<<
Am I right that I have to retest ACTH again now? Or wait on that? Last test
Nov 19.

karenclarinet@gmail.com <karenclarinet@...>

Vet appt feb 5. stopped alfalfa. trying grass hay pellets in machine tonight. fingers crossed. enjoyed a ride today. sun came out! thank you much.