doxycycline trial -- request to Dr. Kellon


kshanna92
 

In discussion of issues I'm dealing with re my mare, Rianza, one of the things you mentioned was speaking to my vet about a trial of doxycycline for possible tick borne complications. I brought this up to my local vet, but was told they absolutely didn't think this was necessary -- in other words, not agreeing to prescribe. Any "ammunition" or information you can give me to try and persuade otherwise??

Karen & Rianza in Illinois
2007
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory6/files/Rianza%20%26%20Karen%20in%20Illinois/


Lesley Fraser
 

On 25 Jan 2013, at 20:51, kshanna92 wrote:

In discussion of issues I'm dealing with re my mare, Rianza, one of the things you mentioned was speaking to my vet about a trial of doxycycline for possible tick borne complications. I brought this up to my local vet, but was told they absolutely didn't think this was necessary -- in other words, not agreeing to prescribe. Any "ammunition" or information you can give me to try and persuade otherwise??

Karen & Rianza in Illinois
2007
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory6/files/Rianza%20%26%20Karen%20in%20Illinois/


Eleanor Kellon, VMD
 

--- In EquineCushings@..., Lesley Fraser wrote:

Hi Karen

I'm not a vet, I'm a person with chronic Lyme. I wondered if some of these links might of interest too.

http://liphookequinehospital.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/LymeDiseaseinHorses.pdf

http://www.equisearch.com/uncategorized/lyme-disease-horses-requires-health-treatment/

http://www.bada-uk.org/petsproblems/pet-diseases/borreliosishorses.php

http://thelaminitissite.org
Helpful, Lesley, thank you.

I actually wrote the second article, but do not endorse the links to products that are embedded in it now. They weren't in the original article.

Other considerations are that Lyme can exist in an encysted form that will not trigger the usual antibodies and human studies are now finding other forms of Borellia in ticks which cannot be detected by available tests.

Eleanor in PA
www.drkellon.com
EC Co-owner
Feb 2001


Lesley Fraser
 

Oh! Thank you for the information Dr Kellon.

Doxycycline seems to trigger encysted forms when it's used in human treatment. Another complication in humans is the biofilm defence that spirochetes create - I don't know if equine Lyme infections develop in a similar way, though. Eva Sapi is doing some interesting work in these (human) areas at the moment, which you may have come across.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Sapi%20E%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=21753890
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Biofilm Formation by Borrelia burgdorferi In Vitro#

I wonder how many different forms of borrelia are out there. The human Lyme tests used in the UK are fairly insensitive and miss a high percentage of Lyme infections, even for standard forms of borrelia. It's quite common for people over here to have their blood shipped to specialist US labs, as these tests seem to be much better at picking up signs of infection than the UK ones.

Lesley & Omar
UK, Dec 2012


On 26 Jan 2013, at 13:06, drkellon wrote:

Helpful, Lesley, thank you.
I actually wrote the second article, but do not endorse the links to products that are embedded in it now. They weren't in the original article.

Other considerations are that Lyme can exist in an encysted form that will not trigger the usual antibodies and human studies are now finding other forms of Borellia in ticks which cannot be detected by available tests.

Eleanor in PA
www.drkellon.com
EC Co-owner
Feb 2001



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


kshanna92
 

--- In EquineCushings@..., Lesley Fraser wrote:
I'm not a vet, I'm a person with chronic Lyme. I wondered if some of these links might of interest too.
Thanks for the links.  Definitely interesting information to have and will be sharing with my local vet.

Karen & Rianza in Illinois
2007