fat pads ?

karen sremac <karenclarinet@...>

"...Not only did the fat pads pop up very quickly, they also disappeared 5
hours later. I wonder if the orbital cavities fill and drain with fluid,
not fat, once the fat pads themselves recede...."

Would someone be so kind as to show pictures of these fat pads I keep
hearing and wondering about, please??

I would like to be able to figure out if my horse has them or not...

Many thanks,
Karen and Serrano
Sept 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory6/files/Karen%20%26%20Serrano%20in%20Calif/
update is that he is now eating balancing minerals

Karen -
this is a good picture of fat pads at the tailhead http://www.cvm.umn.edu/equinegenetics/ems/obesity/home.html
You can get a similar fat pad behind the withers or along the crest (cresty necked).
Some horses get ripply fat over the body, kind of like "cellulitis" fat.
These fat pads are different that a horse that's simply overall obese or overweight, and may be harder to tell on a heavily muscled quarter horse or stock horse type.

The fat pads, or "regional adiposity" may still be there even if a horse is on the thin side. I recently went to see a very "fit" Arab endurance horse who was in no way fat and had ribs showing when walking, but with a couple of weeks of inactivity had developed fat pads behind his withers and at the tail head.

Horses normally have a depression above the eyes (supra-orbital). These may start to get a little puffy in IR horses, or get completely filled in or even bulging.

All of these "typical" fat areas can come up very quickly and also reduce in size pretty quickly - to the point that some people can use a neck crest (size, whether hard or soft) as a barometer to tell if the diet is tight enough.

Patti Woodbury Kuvik
Vail AZ 2001
EC Support Team

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, karen sremac wrote:

"...Not only did the fat pads pop up very quickly, they also disappeared 5
hours later. I wonder if the orbital cavities fill and drain with fluid,
not fat, once the fat pads themselves recede...."

Would someone be so kind as to show pictures of these fat pads I keep
hearing and wondering about, please??

I would like to be able to figure out if my horse has them or not...

Many thanks,
Karen and Serrano
Sept 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory6/files/Karen%20%26%20Serrano%20in%20Calif/
update is that he is now eating balancing minerals

gypsylassie

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, karen sremac wrote:

Would someone be so kind as to show pictures of these fat pads I keep
hearing and wondering about, please??

I would like to be able to figure out if my horse has them or not...
Hi Karen,
I haven't gone looking for pics yet, but as a start you could read thru the Success Story files. There are pics in them that might show the fat pads, and the new fat- pad- free shapes. The ones above the eyes are when those indentations above their eyes are "filled up" and are no longer indentations. Also the body fat pads are where the fat doesn't really follow the natural contour of the body.

gypsylassie

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, "gypsylassie" wrote:

Dang, I just saw Patti's answer and went to "cancel" the one I was working on and hit send by mistake, sorry.
Laura K Chappie & Beau
N.IL.2011

More photos of fat pads here:
http://www.thelaminitissite.org/irems.html

Andrea
France/UK Jan 2010
www.thelaminitissite.org

Nancy C

And here

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

NewEnglandEquineBalance@gmail.com

aliby100

Would the consensus be, then, that supraorbital fat pads are pretty reliable indicators of IR?
I'm hoping not, but Diesel's brother-from-another-mother (iow, also a Haflinger)has them. He is in regular work and has never had any problems (except vaccine reactions starting about 5 years ago). He is on the same tight diet that Diesel is on, and I manage him as if he were IR and he is doing great except for those darn filled eye hollows (no other fat pads).
Thanks for any thoughts,
Alison/Diesel 08/11
Parker, TX

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, "andrealefley" wrote:

Nancy C

Hi Alison

In my experience, yes.

--- In EquineCushings@yahoogroups.com, "aliby100" wrote:

Would the consensus be, then, that supraorbital fat pads are pretty reliable indicators of IR?

bsbygolly@...

The cover photo on the latest issue of Back In The Saddle catalog features a cat and gray Arab (Good Friends print). If you go to this link, you can zoom over the picture and see the fat over the eyes, huge crest, fat ripples behind the shoulder, dimple down the back and indentation at the top of the hip. Hope the owner of this horse knows it is IR.

http://www.backinthesaddle.com/itemdy00.aspx?ID=6,1056&T1=B52012

Betty
2004 SoCA

Saucier Kathy

Karen,

Here is an album on our group website of my horse's orbital fat pads and
swollen sheath. I have more photos of the eyes if you want me to send them
to you. Don't think I loaded the best one on this album as the angle is
kind of close. The others show a more normal angle of viewing the horse.

Album title is Kathy & Magic.

If you want to see other personal photos, PM me. I don't want to load more
on this site as I don't know there is space. Or I can send them to one of
the gurus here to post where appropriate. I didn't have fat pads elsewhere,
just over the eyes plus the swollen sheath.

After getting the eye pads resolved mostly by removing grain from his diet
and before we got the rest of the diet tighter, they didn't return. But we
used his sheath as a barometer when he got fed something he shouldn't have.
That and excessive peeing.

He was IR & C's 2004-2008 when he was put down.

Hope that helps some more.

Kathy Saucier

Texas

2005

(Magic who was IR & C's and no longer with me, and Grayson who isn't either
of those but has EPM, frequent colics and requires joint injections twice a
year - I traded one set of learning opportunities for another)

Side note - my vet at the time had no idea what was up with his eyes or
sheath. He also only did the Dex suppression test & didn't differentiate IR
from C's. Now he understands IR and is on board with the ACTH test! It
pays to help guide your vet along and share knowledge from this group.

Nancy C

Hi Kathy

You can load your pics here....

Or send them to me and I will load. There is plenty of room in the photos section.

Thanks for the offer to share. It will help a lot of folks I think.

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

NewEnglandEquineBalance@gmail.com

Album title is Kathy & Magic.