Serrano sparkled! - New blood results

karen sremac <karenclarinet@...>

Hello all,
I am thrilled to say that Serrano is still way way better! Last night he
came flying out
looking for food, after an AM workout in the arena (where he got a little
crazy on the lunge)!
His energy and appetite changed dramatically the very day the blood was
drawn, so not
surprising that the results are better!

ACTH 49.3 pg/ml ref 9-35
Insulin 52.87 ulU/ml ref 10-40
Leptin!! 3.88 hg/ml ref 1-4 (Yea got vet secretary to do leptin!! )

Vet email received before results: (substitute vet)

"Serrano's bloodwork showed improvement from his last check in November!
Wonderful news. His ACTH level is still a little high, so I think we
should continue on the current dosage and continue exercising him as
frequently as possible. I will have the labwork scanned over to you soon."

Serrano was never himself, and just starting to show personality now. Must
be the downslide of the season making him feel
good. Do I just wait for bottom to hit April/May, or do I increase as he is
still above what he should be? Clearly he will need
more in the Fall... yikes... a lot more??? Or does a little more make a big
difference?

Many thanks,
Karen and Serrano
Sept 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory6/files/Karen%20%26%20Serrano%20in%20Calif/
update is he has been eating balancing minerals! Now eating like a horse!

From: "Nancy"
Subject: Fwd: Serrano sparkled! - New blood results.
He's on 2.5 or three mg of Prascend right? If this were Beau, I'd be concerned that he is not controlled on that dose and would have that conversation with my vet. It appears from the blood work that PPID is likely driving his IR.
Controlling his ACTH is what is needed for control of the melanomas.
So glad he's feeling better. Spring is coming.
Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

merlin5clougher <janieclougher@...>

Hi, Karen -

Well, this *is* good news!

If Serrano were my horse, I would definitely increase the pergolide, and not wait for the natural downswing. Many PPID horses don't have a great natural downswing in ACTH. Also, PPID horses seem to do best when the ACTH is in the low normal range, or mid-range, not the high-normal range.

So, I would go up by .5 mg, but by .25 mg at a time.

Test again in May and in late July/early August.

So glad he is feeling better!

Don't forget to trim your posts.

Jaini (BVSc),Merlin,Maggie,Gypsy
BC09
ECIR mod/support

ACTH 49.3 pg/ml ref 9-35
Insulin 52.87 ulU/ml ref 10-40
Leptin!! 3.88 hg/ml ref 1-4 (Yea got vet secretary to do leptin!! )
Do I just wait for bottom to hit April/May, or do I increase as he is
still above what he should be? Clearly he will need
more in the Fall... yikes... a lot more??? Or does a little more make a big
difference?

Many thanks,
Karen and Serrano
Sept 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory6/files/Karen%20%26%20Serrano%20in%20Calif/

Kc <karenclarinet@...>

Thank you thank you! That is what my instinct is telling me. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 8, 2013, at 3:47 PM, "merlin5clougher" <janieclougher@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Claudia Goodman

Nancy,
Would very much appreciate your help on this... I am trying to ascertain whether transfer factor is potentially harmful for an IR horse, or is your response in the conversation below implying that TF is likely not helpful and, therefore, not worth the money.

Thanks for any clarification,

Claudia & Silhouette 2014 California

ECHistory8

176410Re: Fwd: Serrano sparkled! - New blood results