New test results: ACTH increased

Bonnie

My Welsh sect.C pony Lad, 15 yrs, has been getting 1.25 mg of compounded pergolide. In November ACTH was 19.1 pmol/L. It is presently 24.7pmol/L.

Any comments?

My vet suggests raising the dose to 2 mg then retesting after a month.

She asked whether the group has noted a difference in response to compounded pergolide (assuming it is kept properly and not degraded) and "commercial brands". (Are there any others besides Prascend?) She asks because she has seen, in dogs, a different response between commercial and generic products.

I have tried to update my case history but it didn't "take." Will try again after sleep!

Bonnie Ivey, Ontario
Lad the wooley wonder
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory6/files/Bonnie%20and%20Lad/

Nancy C

What kind of compounded are you giving? In other words liquid, capsules, tablet, etc?

Keep at that case history! Yahoo is being way beyond a PITA. My response may not comet through or may come through 10 times.

Nancy C in NH
ECIR Moderator 2003

NewEnglandEquineBalance@...

--- In EquineCushings@..., "Bonnie" <bon.ivey@...> wrote:

My Welsh sect.C pony Lad, 15 yrs, has been getting 1.25 mg of compounded pergolide. In November ACTH was 19.1 pmol/L. It is presently 24.7pmol/L.

Bonnie

I was asked what kind of compounded product I'm using.

Sorry: should have specified. I am using capsules from Island Pharmacy in B.C. Canada. Have been keeping the pill bottles inside a sealed plastic container at room temperature.

Each morning I put the required dose into a ziplock bag, then into a sealed plastic jar. It sits in the barn (temp. approximately 40 F) until the 5 PM feed. Capsules are placed in a peanut shell, handed to Lad. I watch to make sure they don't get dropped.

Is this appropriate care?

Bonnie Ivey, Ontario 12/08