Serrano update - advice please?

karen sremac <karenclarinet@...>

Hi,
I am sad to say that Serrano's ACTH test from last week was 60.4...
Very high at this time when it should be low.
And he has not been doing well with gas colic, a possible mini seizure,
lameness in RH and no energy.
The vet said to go up one pill, and that that is how it is done, one pill at
a time. Is that true when you are already at 3 and it is not working? I am
very concerned that he needs so much already, after just being diagnosed
in Sept... and felt like he was behind the rise since then. And the seizure
has just got me really upset. I was cleaning his right eye in his hot stall,
and he was standing and cooperating, as he always does. Then he raised
his head just a little, and got stuck. His whole body went stiff and jerked
for
a short time before he could bring his head down. Then he seemed just
fine after. I have not seen this before with him ever before, EXCEPT that
when he colics from gas pain, he looks like he is having mini seizures too.
He lies down and suffers through it and then gets up and shakes the dust
off to get on with life. When he has gas pain it looks different. He closes
his
eyes and twitches and then stretches out and farts. He is very stoic, so I
worry. I read that Cushings can cause seizures and now I know his ACTH
is still not controlled, and I am very scared.
Please advise and/or reassure me!
Many thanks,
Karen and Serrano
Sept 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory6/files/Karen%20%26%20Serrano%20in%20Calif/

merlin5clougher <janieclougher@...>

Hi, Karen - don't despair. Many horses are on much higher doses - check out the database here:

I have one on 7.5, one on 5 and one on 2. It seems that when one is chasing the rise, it is harder to get the ACTH under control.

The lack of energy can certainly be due to the high ACTH.

When increasing the pergolide, some horses can be very sensitive and lose their appetites with too quick an increase; better to increase by a quarter tablet every 3 days if that is the case. When the horses get to higher doses, though, going up by 1 pill at a time usually doesn't cause a problem. Give Serrano 4 mg; if his appetite decreases, or he seems a little spacey or disoriented, back it down to 3.25 pills.

As to the mini-seizure - it could have been that; or it could have been a muscle spasm or similar. All I can say here is to monitor.

You give him such good care - hang in there, increase the pergolide, and let us know how he gets on. Don't forget to breathe!

Jaini (BVSc),Merlin,Maggie,Gypsy
BC09
ECIR mod/support

--- In EquineCushings@..., karen sremac <karenclarinet@...> wrote:

Hi,
I am sad to say that Serrano's ACTH test from last week was 60.4...

Karen and Serrano
Sept 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory6/files/Karen%20%26%20Serrano%20in%20Calif/

Nancy C

It's going to be much easier to do this Karen, with compounded pergolide vs Prascend. My guy is currently on 8 mg.

Hopefully your blood went to Cornell.

Like Jaini says, don't despair. You can get this right and it makes all the difference for Serrano

Nancy C in NH

ECIR Group Inc. NO Laminitis! Conference, Jacksonville Oregon, September 27-29, 2013.

--- In EquineCushings@..., "merlin5clougher" <janieclougher@...> wrote:

Hi, Karen - don't despair. Many horses are on much higher doses - check out the database here:

I have one on 7.5, one on 5 and one on 2. It seems that when one is chasing the rise, it is harder to get the ACTH under control.

Teri

Hi, Karen - don't despair. Many horses are on much higher doses - check out the database here:

I have one on 7.5, one on 5 and one on 2. It seems that when one is chasing the rise, it is harder to get the ACTH under control.
Jaini (BVSc),Merlin,Maggie,Gypsy

Karen,

My tiny(300#)pony, Stormy is one of those. I have chased her ACTH since I joined the group in 4-12...so feel your frustration. I recently increased her dose to 6.5mg (compounded perg. caps) and I think she finally might be at the correct dose for her. Of course we have the seasonal rise coming up, so might even have to increase more. She is also one of those horses/ponies that seems to need her ACTH to be in the lower range of normal to reduce her symptoms ...which include loss of appetite and acting depressed.
So hang in there! We are well into our 2nd year and still trying to get it right!

All the best to you and Serrano,

Teri, Stormy and Kelsey
IN 4-12

alicekremers

Hi Karen,

So sorry to hear that Serrano is having a bad spell.

Just wondering about this seizure or whatever it was. How soon after he received his dose of Prascend did you clean his eye and notice this mini-seizure?

Hang in there -- you are a great horsemom!

Alice & Justin
CO 2007
Case history badly in need of updating:

Lorna <briars@...>

Then he raised his head just a little, and got stuck. His whole body went stiff and jerked for a short time before he could bring his head down.
Is it possible he has a pinched nerve in his neck/back, Karen?

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*