Can sweat wraps in 100+ F weather trigger Laminitis/Founder

loes <loes1@...>

Romke has fluid on his suspensory but he is not lame and the ultrasound shows no damage. I have been walking him and icing the leg for several weeks and it is not going down. My vet suggested a 24 hour sweat wrap. Here is my dilemma - he has a terrible time in the heat (we have a swamp cooler in his stall and in the summer I take him out before sunrise). I constantly monitor his body temperature and this summer he has had several episodes of elevated temps, nothing seriously high but high for his normal. We are running 100+ F weather. My question is am I taking a risk triggering laminitis/founder. Romke has been cushings for 9 years, is on 2.75 mg pergolide (just raised in .25mg in July) and has never had any problems with his feet.

I am supposed to do this on Sunday (vet is coming on Monday for ACTH and leg check). I would appreciate it if someone can give me advise before I start this. I did pose the question to the vet and he indicated that it should not be a problem. With so many people with hands-on experience on this site, I would like a second (or more) opinion.

Thank you!!!

Loes
So. CAL
2006 or 2007

Lorna <briars@...>

Hi Loes,

2006 or 2007

Sorry ,can't help with your question.

But your joining date is April,2008.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
Only the FACTS:
ECIR Group Inc. NO Laminitis! Conference, Jacksonville Oregon, September 27-29, 2013.

suzie macdougall <walking_s_mac@...>

Do you know how to do ttouch - doing the circles on the legs makes a
big difference to remove the swelling should be a practitioners near you
if you need tutoring in how to do them but as long as go lightly slowly
cant do any harm.
Suzie in Oz before 2003

On 23/08/2013 6:12 AM, loes wrote:

Romke has fluid on his suspensory but he is not lame and the
ultrasound shows no damage. I have been walking him and icing the leg
for several weeks and it is not going down.

loes <loes1@...>

Yes, please Suzie, please let me know how to do t touch.

thanks

Loes
So.CAL - 2008

On Aug 22, 2013, at 3:42 PM, suzie macdougall wrote:

Do you know how to do ttouch - doing the circles on the legs makes a
big difference to remove the swelling

Suzie in Oz before 2003
On 23/08/2013 6:12 AM, loes wrote:

Romke has fluid on his suspensory but he is not lame and the
ultrasound shows no damage. I have been walking him and icing the leg
for several weeks and it is not going down.

The sweat wrap is not dangerous in any way.

EC Co-owner
Feb 2001

loes <loes1@...>

Thank you Dr. Kellon and Thank you Suzie.
Loes, SO CAL 2008