Back leg lifting way high when trying to clean hooves

Sandy Faust

Does cushings give pain in back legs or hip area where horse is lifting up legs into air and stretching out and other times just holds leg up.  Have been to the vet and he thinks it is arthritis and told me to keep in stall and give him double bute.  He is not improving.  Could this be a nervous sysem problem ?  My horse is IR.

Sheri Becker

"Does cushings give pain in back legs or hip area where horse is lifting up legs into air and stretching out and other times just holds leg up. Have been to the vet and he thinks it is arthritis
and told me to keep in stall and give him double bute. He is not improving. Could this be a nervous sysem problem ? My horse is IR.

Look up "Shivers" and see if this describes your horse.
Sheri in PA
2006/2007

Sarah Kay <hollytreesarah@...>

The leg lifting/stretching can be a sign associated with muscle disease – for example EPSM.  Selenium deficiency can cause signs very similar to EPSM as I’m discovering with my gang, and I’ve often thought that a lot of people might think a horse was sluggish due to arthritis, when it can be muscle pain from selenium deficiency.

If it was me, I’d have a comprehensive blood test to include muscle enzymes (especially CK) and liver enzymes as well as cell counts... just to see if that points you in any particular direction.  Just ask the vet for that.  Make sure the blood’s taken at least a couple of days after work of any kind, and at home with no stress/exertion from travelling or anything else.  This will make sure you get a true baseline blood sample.  Ask for a copy of the full blood report and see for yourself if muscle enzymes are raised even a little above reference range.  My guys have ranged between being only about 100 units over reference up to about 3,600 units above reference, and all have shown varying degrees of work intolerance, and one does the leg stretching thing.  If that shows anything muscular, worth having your forage tested for selenium, and checking that the total dietary intake per day (including grass, hay etc and all hard feeds) comes to at least 1mg selenium per 500kg horse per day.  If you are providing selenium in a feed of any kind, make sure it’s organic selenium (selenium yeast) as it’s more bioavailable than sodium selenite.

Might be nothing to do with that, but EPSM and shivers have definitely been linked in some cases.

Sarah

Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2013 12:04 PM
Subject: [EquineCushings] Re: Back leg lifting way high when trying to clean hooves

"Does cushings give pain in back legs or hip area where horse is lifting up legs into air and stretching out and other times just holds leg up. Have been to the vet and he thinks it is arthritis
and told me to keep in stall and give him double bute. He is not improving. Could this be a nervous sysem problem ? My horse is IR.

Look up "Shivers" and see if this describes your horse.
Sheri in PA
2006/2007

loes <loes1@...>

After reading this post a big "AHA".   Googled EPSM and found Drafts and Draft Mules are genetically predisposed.  This answers a lot of questions on  Dreamer,  my draft mule  (1/2 clydesdale & 1/2 mammoth jack), he  appears to have the symptoms.  Was doing an ACTH on Romke, my Friesian, on Monday and may as well do a full panel on Dreamer.

A big Thank You!!!

Loes & Romke, & TJ & Dreamer & Daisy
So. Cal.
April 2008

The leg lifting/stretching can be a sign associated with muscle disease – for example EPSM.  Selenium deficiency can cause signs very similar to EPSM as I’m discovering with my gang, and I’ve often thought that a lot of people might think a horse was sluggish due to arthritis, when it can be muscle pain from selenium deficiency.

Might be nothing to do with that, but EPSM

Sarah

"Does cushings give pain in back legs or hip area where horse is lifting up legs into air and stretching out and other times just holds leg up. Have been to the vet and he thinks it is arthritis
and told me to keep in stall and give him double bute. He is not improving. Could this be a nervous sysem problem ? My horse is IR.

Look up "Shivers" and see if this describes your horse.
Sheri in PA
2006/2007

Allana KERELUK

My horse was diagnosed with shivers at the same time he was diagnosed with IR!! I had never put it together, but I'm wondering after reading this post, how many other Cushings/IR horses have shivers too?

Allana and Mojave Moon
Northern IL
Feb. 2011

Sent from my iPhone

LAURA MATTHEWS <lauratmatt@...>

My dearly-departed Boo Boo used to do this. It was usually his left hind that he would lift almost like a dog at a fire hydrant and then shake it a few times before lowering his leg-- and I never knew what caused it. I assumed it was stiffness from having laminitis and he just needed to move his joint and it seemed to never bother him otherwise. Interesting concept because he was IR and latter discovered to have Cushings.....hmmmm...

Laura and Jesse
NC 1/2010