High Protein

Danowski, Prof. Debra A. <danowskid@...>

Hi Everyone:

There was recently a post that said high protein is dangerous to IR horses.  I've recently had to switch to TC 30%.  Stabul 1 and TC Lite don't work anymore and no one will eat r/s/r beet pulp without crunch.

Can someone tell me why high protein is dangerous?

Thanks,

Debbie, Cooper, Butterscotch and Beau
CT, October 2012

I wouldn't consider it dangerous - definitely too strong a word. First, it depends on what you're feeding. If you're feeding a hay with low protein, you may need to supplement - some use dried split peas for example - great source of protein and has some crunch.

Hays that test with unusually high protein - in the mid to upper teens for crude protein - might be worth testing for nitrates if the hay is known to be fertilized and nitrate accumulation can be a problem for pregnant mares.

Bottom line, you should know the protein content of your forage (6.3% in January 2013?) and then factor in your TC 30. If you're still using that hay, then the TC 30% should be fine.

Kathleen (KFG in KCMO)

Director, ECIR, Inc.

Missouri - Dec 2005

There was recently a post that said high protein is dangerous to IR horses.  I've recently had to switch to TC 30%.  Can someone tell me why high protein is dangerous?

Debbie, Cooper, Butterscotch and Beau
CT, October 2012

Danowski, Prof. Debra A. <danowskid@...>

Thank you so much Kathleen.  I have new have but it's only slightly higher.

I appreciate your response.

Debbie, Cooper, Butterscotch and Beau
CT, October 2012

sally.stork

And most feed only 1 pound a day of it--tiny amt of TC30, Sally, Elkton,MD 2010

---In equinecushings@..., <danowskid@...> wrote:

Thank you so much Kathleen. I have new have but it's only slightly higher.

I appreciate your response.

Debbie, Cooper, Butterscotch and Beau
CT, October 2012

jgpigger

 Hi Kathleen

>Hays that test with unusually high protein - in the mid to upper teens for crude protein - might be worth testing for nitrates if the hay is known to be fertilized and nitrate accumulation can be a problem for pregnant mares.

I asked Dr. K about the protein in grass hay on her e-mag group but never got an answer, so I am wondering if you knew.

The hay that I was wondering about is grass hay, 12% protein (I have tested alot of hay around my area and have never seen grass hay higher than 6.5%) so I was wondering how this hay could be so high.

Do you think its the nitrates? that would make this hay more higher than the others? thanks candy 2013 MI