Whipoorwill Amulet - due for a trim - requesting review by hoof gurus

Ruth Vale

laviniamfiscaletti wrote, regarding the first set of foot photos I posted::

>TRIM: Toes backed and heels lowered, with the hoof capsule tightly hugging the internal structures,
>In the pics there are some definite trim issues apparent.
>He has a broken back pastern axis, which means that the coffin bone is sitting with the rear portion lower than the tip.
>The front part of the hoof is taller than the rear. His heels are most likely underrun and the toes therefore too long.

I've posted a better set of photos for Bounce, taken about a week ago.  He's due for a trim this week and I would appreciate any considerations.  I don't see the "broken back pastern axis".  that was referred to in the comment above.   Trimmer has been working to get him standing more upright, but the frequent abscesses have made a mess with the front frogs, especially the front left, which blew out most of the frog on the last round.  He's sound, frog tissue is recovering.  Sound on arena sand, but uses boots otherwise.

>If you can get some foot pics before his next trim
>one of the hoof gurus can take a look and make sure the trim gets optimized.

I'm not one lightly to go about telling my trimmer (whom I consider pretty good at what she does) how to do her job, but we would value your input.

Ruth Vale and Whippoorwill Amulet (Bounce) joined Sept 2013
Caledon, Ontario CANADA

PapBallou@...

I've posted a better set of photos for Bounce, taken about a week ago.  He's due for a trim this week and I would appreciate any considerations.  I don't see the "broken back pastern axis".  that was referred to in the comment above.   Trimmer has been working to get him standing more upright, but the frequent abscesses have made a mess with the front frogs, especially the front left, which blew out most of the frog on the last round.  He's sound, frog tissue is recovering.  Sound on arena sand, but uses boots otherwise.

Yahoo/neo is driving me nuts!  All I can get to view your photos is an outline of the photo washed in blue.  I give up.  It did let me download a few, but the photos are really, really big, so suspect that's the issue.  If possible, for any follow up photos that may be posted, reducing the number of pixels or photo size to *email* would make it much easier.

Bounce is definitely at the point of needing a trim.  I think the feet look pretty good, except there is quite a bit of bar in all feet - appears to be more than what usually grows between trims.  Heels also seem to be a bit underrun.  Addressing the bars should help make apparent a better heel height.

Would definitely radius the walls to sit virtually seamlessly with/against the white line, and bring the toe wall back until it's kissing the white line.  With the amount of snow on the ground, don't know that I'd do too much of a roll of the walls.

>Sound on arena sand - when being ridden or when moving at liberty?

>Trimmer working to get him more upright...does that mean she's adjusting the hoof capsule to get a different stance?  Before anything is done to make something into something it's not, I would invest in a set of x-rays, at least of the fronts.  Seeing how the bony column sits in its relationship with the hoof capsule is always a good idea, especially since the history states his feet are becoming more and more tender.

I see from the history that we don't have a definitive answer as yet as to if Bounce is IR, PPID or both.  Is the diet being addressed with low s/s hay, or soaked hay?

Linda
EC Primary Response
West Coast
May 2004.

Ruth Vale

Apologies for the very long delay in response.  I've been offline due to a lengthy power outage.  Due to massive damage of several days of ice storms north of Toronto, I've been having a pioneer Christmas (no hydro, wood stove ablaze, and drawing water from the surface well, since last Saturday night.   Hydro just came back on and I'm jumping in here before (and if) it goes off again.  Trimmer is coming on Saturday afternoon.

I will reload thumbnail pics again - tomorrow if I can.

Linda asked;
>Trimmer working to get him more upright...does that mean she's
>adjusting the hoof capsule to get a different stance?  Before anything
>is done to make something into something it's not, I would invest in a
>set of x-rays, at least of the fronts.

His frogs have been a mess with all the abscesses.  She leaves the heels alone, trying to let the heels grow and raise them a bit more (hence standing more "upgright").  She thinks he is still standing back a bit.  She does the "mustang roll" on his toes.  She has been moving very slowly - aggressive trimming isn't possible with him (I fired 3 farriers over that, now working with a trained barefoot traimmer) so he's generally done with a rasp rather than nippers.    Xrays coming in January.  Vet says he has a "short horn" - not sure what that means.  He's 15h, but feet are proportional to his size and weight with good quality horn.

>I see from the history that we don't have a definitive answer as yet as to if Bounce
>is IR, PPID or both.  Is the diet being addressed with low
>s/s hay, or soaked hay?

I have him scheduled for blood work in January 2014.  Diet has been somewhat addressed and I have him on 1mg/day compound pergolide.   Diet - removed all treats, moved to a low-starch feed and hay is low starch grass hay.  Not yet soaking - Bounce is boarded out, and the Barn Owner (whom I trust with my life otherwise) seems to think I've lost it. :}  Test results will bring her around if they fall where I think they will.

On the pergolide, I am seeing an improvement.  He's much more cheerful, interested and interacting rather than standing there with a glazed expression in his eyes and looking tired.   This week -- He's been his stall since last Sunday due to dangerous ice conditions (2" of solid, hard ice covering Everything), they've been cut off all grain, feed other than hay since then.    They'll be in for a few more days - the tractor isn't heavy enough (!!) to break the ice crust, so they are in until it is safe.  He's been a sensible boy and barefoot, so in search of a little safe exercise, I've been risking a trip across the barnyard to the arena and turned him out for a little free longing.   Lots of happy bucking but he isn't losing his head.

I'm glad to see his personality again, also the bucking and playing around when he is turned loose on good footing.  I have renewed the pergolide RX and continuing that until we get the blood test results.