Change in sclera color

Shari Starr

My cushing's gelding Snickers, that passed this last June 25th, had a change in his sclera coloring in the months just prior to his passing. His normally dark brown sclera had blotches of opaque colored patches that sprung up. The size was smaller than the tip of my pinky finger. It was right next to the blue line (corneal limbus?)that is in between his cornea & his sclera. it was only in his right eye. Does anyone know if this is a symptom/sign of cushing's or if this could be an affect of supplementing vitamin E? I'm wondering because I have recently started supplementing my 2 younger geldings (11 year old quarter horses) & one is a chestnut like Snickers & I am now noticing this in him now just since I started him on supplemental vitamin E (1000 IU). It is only his right eye & it is just to the outside & upper part of the sclera. My 2 geldings only receive a high quality timothy hay & no additional supplementation unless it is very cold weather.
Normally it is very mild here in the Pacific Northwest (Washington State). Am I just being paranoid since losing Snickers? There doesn't appear to be any ulceration, just the change in sclera coloring.

Shari
Fly Free Snickers mom
ECIR June, 2013
Western Washington state

Shari Starr

I'm still in great need to the question that I posed regarding the change in my horse's sclera for the below mentioned reasons. I need to know if this change could be because of the vitamin E supplementation or cushing's. Can anyone help?? Please if you could send a private reply as well as post to the cushing's site I'm having problems with access to the actual yahoo group site.

Shari

Fly free, Snickers mom

ECIR June, 2013

Western Washington state

Nancy C

Hi Shari

I can find nothing in our archives about Vit E or Cushing's affecting the sclera.

Uncontrolled PPID can affect eye sight because of pressure in hte optic nerve as the tumor enlarges..

Nancy C in NH

www.ECIRhorse.org

Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

http://ecirhorse.org/index.php/non-profit-group

Lisa S

--- In EquineCushings@..., Shari Starr <lifesongfarm@...> wrote:

My cushing's gelding Snickers, that passed this last June 25th, had a change in his sclera coloring in the months just prior to his passing. His normally dark brown sclera had blotches of opaque colored patches that sprung up.
Shari,

Just for clarification purposes, are you talking about discoloration/patches in the colored part of the eye (iris) or are you talking about discoloration of the visible part that is normally white (sclera)?

My QH gelding Pookey Bear developed an odd bluish patch in the iris of his right eye around the time he developed IR. It enlarged a bit over time but has not enlarged over the past two years. I have no idea what it is, and none of the vets who have examined him have ventured a guess.

The changes that occur with Vitamin E deficiency are usually not visible to the naked eye, but through the ophthalmascope, the vet might see changes in the fundus, often at the tapetal-nontapetal junction. Ocular changes are not present in every affected horse: my Pookey Bear had dramatic clinical signs and low serum E, both of which corrected with enhanced Vitamin E supplementation (water soluble, higher dose) However, he has never exhibited any of the specific ocular changes that typically occur with EMND.

Lisa in TX
Pookey Bear
June 2010

Shari Starr

Nancy, thank you very much for the assistance & checking the archives. My computer at home is on the blink & I have to go to the library to read & post in this site. My 11 year old gelding has no signs of PPID or IR but it was very odd that my PPID horse, Snickers, had this same sign/symptom in the last few months before he had to be euthanized due to an internal mass. I'm sure that you can understand my great concern since I've had the 2 horses with the same symptom & the end result was terminal with Snickers. I sent a picture to my local vet & she could not see a tie in to the vitamin E supplement & the sclera color change. She also didn't seem to be concerned about the change but just to watch to see if it showed any changes of ulceration. Call me a nervous Nellie but I'm extra careful now since Snicker's death & lack of outward signs of abdominal mass. I'll continue to supplement the vitamin E as I have been. Thank you again  for your very prompt research & reply.

Shari, Fly free, Snickers mom

ECIR

June, 2013

Western WA state

Shari Starr

Lisa, the change in sclera is just to the outside of the thin blue line called the corneal limbus. The sclera is brown on my chestnut & the patch of opaque color is just to the outside of this limbus line. It's about the size of the tip of my pink finger. I sent a picture of it to my local vet & she didn't have any concern unless the condition should change & show any signs of unlceration (none now). I may try to figure out how to send the picture to the ECIR group if technology allows.

Shari ,Fly Free Snickers mom

ECIR

June, 2013

Western Wa state