Farewell to my friend

lisanne5

Farewell my dear friend, beautiful soul. My life was forever changed by you and will be forever changed with your passing. May you run free now, without pain, through green pastures. You deserve that and so much more.

Melody's Merry Lace aka "Lacey"
05.08.1990-02.25.2014

In spite of ACTH controlled on pergolide, as low a carb diet as possible (<5% ESC+starch), and daily exercise with padded boots as much as she could tolerate, my mare had been getting gradually more footsore over the last 6-12 months. I never did get her insulin:glucose fully controlled, not for lack of trying, over the last 3-1/3 years since she was diagnosed.

Lacey still had her good days, and I was able to ride her occasionally with padded boots until about a month ago. Last week she went downhill fast. She acted like she was having another laminitis attack. It seemed to be her hind feet that were worse than the front, though. She held one hind up in the air often and dangled it. She pawed a lot and wanted to lie down, but didn’t want to because she knew she would have trouble getting up. She nickered loudly in thanks and surprise when I pulled on her head to help her up after she fell back to her knees. She couldn’t walk well, her balance seemed poor and she wasn’t eating much. She also was shaking her head frequently – not hard, but like a fast wobble. I wonder if the pituitary tumor was pressing on her somehow and causing discomfort and/or balance problems. I’m describing all this because I’m curious if any others have had it end this way.

The vet agreed that there wasn’t anything else we could do for her. I suppose I should have consulted you all here more recently, but I have good local consultant who has taken Dr. Kellon’s courses and there wasn’t really any question in my mind that Lacey was in too much pain for either of us to bear any longer. I thought the vet might push pain meds, but he took one look at her barely able to walk and agreed it was time.

I want to thank all of you here who have helped me handle Lacey’s Cushings and IR over the last 3-1/2 years. Lacey was my first and only horse. We were together 15 years. She left a huge hole in my life, but it’s been a week now and I’m doing OK. It will take a while to process and completely let her go, but it’s a relief that she’s no longer suffering. Because I suffered with her and made the utmost effort to do all the right things for her, my pain is now also relieved in a way now.

I have 45 days’ worth of 8 mg pergolide capsules if anyone can use them. Please email me privately: lisanne at firstserver.com.

Lisanne in Oregon

09/2010

Cindy McGinley

I’m so sorry, Lisanne. How blessed we are to have known these special horses! They do change us, in only the best ways. In the Irish way, we celebrate lives at the time of their passing. And so I raise a glass in honor of Lacey, deserving friend and teacher.

With Our Deepest Sympathy,
Cindy, Alf, Dare, and Saffron in Central NY
ECIR Support
May 2006

Sent: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 4:33 AM
Subject: [EquineCushings] Farewell to my friend

[...]

takarri@...

Deepest sympathy Lisanne,

Always a hard decision to make, but also the right one. She is at peace now & I'm glad you found comfort in that.

Pauline
Jack/Spur/ Angel Harry
Aust Aug 07

dnlf@...

Lisanne,

I'm so sorry for your loss of Lacey. Know you did all that you could and that sometimes the kindest gift we can give our beloved horses is to help them over the Bridge. May your happier memories help fill the gaping hole in your heart.

Hugs,
Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Nappi and George Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team

Nancy C

I'm so sorry Lisanne.  May you remember all the good times.

Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
http://ecirhorse.org/index.php/non-profit-group

bizzibizzigirl

I'm very sorry Lisanne.  Always hard to say goodbye to them.  I hope your sadness is eased soon :)

Lisa & Miami (Arab x RP)

Plus Condor & Woody (unchallenged)

Victoria, Australia – 2010

Shari Starr

Lisanne, I send you comfort & hugs with your special friend Lacey passing to spirit. I still view this site because I'm sponsoring a draft carriage horse with PPID. I lost my Snickers to a non-cushings related cause last June 25th. Please come visit the hoofbeats in heaven site if you need support from a great group of others that understand as few do about our special relationship that we have with our equines & how deep a grief that we go through. Or, if you would like you can e-mail privately if you like & I'd be glad to e-walk beside for support if you want. Shari, Fly free, Snickers mom. My e-mail address is: lifesongfarm @ yahoo.com (l put in spaces so that yahoo wouldn't edit it)

Lisa M. Koch

janieclougher@...

Ah, Lisanne - what a beautiful tribute to your dear Lacey.  Fly free, Lacey - and hugs to you, Lisanne.

Jaini (BVSc),Merlin,Maggie,Gypsy
BC09
ECIR  mod/support

---In EquineCushings@..., <lisanne@...> wrote :

Farewell my dear friend, beautiful soul. My life was forever changed by you and will be forever changed with your passing. May you run free now, without pain, through green pastures. You deserve that and so much more.

Melody's Merry Lace aka "Lacey"
05.08.1990-02.25.2014

Lisanne in Oregon

09/2010

Emily Phillips

Oh Lisanne. You made me cry and smile all at the same time. To have a relationship like you had with Lacey is very special. She will stay with you in your heart and memories forever. Big hugs from across the pond.. Emily, Cheyenne and Saxon Springmount, Victoria, Australia Jan 2014

Donna Coughlin

What a beautiful tribute, and how wonderful that you shared your love for each other all those years. Fly free Lacey, along with all the others we have loved and who are dancing with the stars.

Donna Coughlin, Duke, Robin and Duke
CT 2009

---In EquineCushings@..., <lisanne@...> wrote :

Farewell my dear friend, beautiful soul. My life was forever changed by you and will be forever changed with your passing. May you run free now, without pain, through green pastures. You deserve that and so much more.

Melody's Merry Lace aka "Lacey"
05.08.1990-02.25.2014

Lisanne in Oregon

09/2010

aet001@...

Lisanne, I am so sorry for your loss.  I also apologize if this posts twice, yahoo black holes and moodiness.  I wish you peace and happy memories.  Fly free, Lacey, green grass and blue skies forever.  Amy in PA '06ish (Herbie IR, Darby, lost beloveds on HIH site Echo, Dylan, Pebbles, Cherry, Misty who was C/IR)