Updating a history in ECHistory5

Deb Funderburk <hawkhilldeb@...>

I am a frustrated computer illiterate try to update my pony's history in EChistory5.  I think I have finally uploaded the update, but cannot figure out how to delete the old file.  And now it seems there are two folders???  What do I do now?  Also, I have foot photos, lab reports x-rays and a hay analysis to go in also.  Will they go in my folder here?

As you may guess, Cory (this is the second pony named Cory here) and I have hit a bump in the road and I need to negotiate this tricky computer highway.  Most stressing for me is the fact that my trimmer of 22 years told me this week that he couldn't be a party to this kind of foot trimming.  I really need some guidance.

Here is the link to my Case History (I think)

Deb Funderburk and Cory
July 2012
North Carolina

Mandy Woods

Hi Deb,
Your update on Cory came through on ECH5.  Always use that link when you write in.

To answer some of your questions:  You can add his hoof photos to the PHOTO section in ECH5 and then add that link along with your CH link.   Your link does work!  You’re smarter than me!!

Here is a link on how to take good hoof photos.  Please follow the instructions carefully.    Post his photos and then we’ll talk !!
http://www.all-natural-horse-care.com/good-hoof-photos.html

Mandy in VA
EC Primary Response
OCT 20

Deb Funderburk and Cory

Deb Funderburk <hawkhilldeb@...>

Hi Mandy and all,

I finally got the pictures of Cory's trim up. I think I am posting the link here:

Hope these pictures are good enough. The white powder on his feet is Goldbond. Didn't know it would be so hard to brush off. Can anyone give me some feedback? My farrier took off about a quarter inch of heel and a little of the toe. When I wouldn't let him put shoes on him, he said he wouldn't be coming back (after 22 years of trimming Cory). I'm so distressed. I also have X-rays if I can figure out how to post them. Please let me know if these aren't good enough and I will get more.

burk%20in%20NC/

Deb Funderburk and Cory
NC July 2012

Mandy Woods

Hi Deb,
FIrst I would like to say its was your lucky day when the farrier quit on you. You need to to 'talk to ' Linda or Lavinia about Cory's feet. I would leave him in Soft Ride boots and fill them up with Gold Bond powder to help keep his feet dry. I know we can find a barefoot trimmer in NC for you. Its not to late to make big changes. Let Cory lay down and bed him deeply.

I don’t know if I sent this to you last time but see if there is anyone on this list near you. Call them today. https://www.thehorseshoof.com/trimmers.html

Mandy in VA
EC Primary Response
OCT 2003

PapBallou@...

Deb -

Will post some markups later.  Agree with Mandy - keep in boots in soft bedding.

Linda
EC Primary Response
West Coast
May 2004

palomino.1982@...

Hi Deb-

I agree with Mandy!  The trim your farrier was doing was not realigning the coffin bone which is #1 to start healing and growing in a  tight lamina connection.

There are still farriers/trimmers/vets that think the foundered horses need elevated heels and shoes.

They think the Deep Digital Flexor Tendon (DDFT) is pulling the coffin bone out of place- so they raise the heels to reduce the damage. Problem is, this makes  it worse and is  actually forcing the continued  "rotation".

What does happen is the lamina becomes inflamed  and detaches from the coffin bone. By keeping the coffin bone close to ground parallel  this prevents further damage  and allows the hoof to begin  healing.

If the heels are left high and toe is not brought back- this creates a constant assault on the inner structures of the hoof.

Linda will provide you with  a map of Cory's foot and begin the journey to heal his feet with a proper aligning trim. This takes time....at least a year to grow a new hoof wall with tight connections. Please remember that his feet will look odd and not like a healthy hoof...because right now it isn't!

As the foot starts to heal, he may form an abscess or 2...or 3.  Don't panic as this is the bodys way of removing inflammation as it starts the healing process.  Be ready ( just in case) with abscess supplies.

Would suggest that you keep a daily journal ...monitor his up and down days- he will have them...you will too.

We will be here helping you guys through this journey.

I am excited for you guys!!!!!

Susan

EC Primary Response

San Diego ( scortched earth ! )  1.07

.

Deb Funderburk <hawkhilldeb@...>

Hi Mandy, Linda and Susan-- Thanks for your quick and encouraging responses. I have been so worried about Cory's feet all winter and was having the farrier out every three weeks to trim, but saw his toes getting longer and longer. I guess it is a good thing that I finally pressed the issue and annoyed him. Linda, I saw your markups and know you will be getting back to me soon to explain them. Thank you so much.

Mandy, I will check the list you gave me today and call anyone I can find who is close enough. Keeping my fingers crossed. Also, Cory isn't laying down hardly at all, except at night when he sleeps. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Also, I put him up in his deeply bedded stall at night, but open the door into the small paddock in the morning. Is this O.K.? I put his boots on in the morning and take them off at night when he is stalled. Do you think I should leave them on 24/7? He ambles slowly about his paddock when he is out there.

Susan, thanks for the journal idea. This will help me see the incremental improvements and to not get discouraged. Also want to say the vet is coming out in the morning to draw blood for an ACTH check. I can't help but think it is still out of control. Thanks again, everyone.

Deb and Cory in NC
July 2012
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/ECHistory5/files/Deb%20Funderburk%20in%20NC/