New test for Cushings?

Susan Zingle

My vet is coming tomorrow morning.  I've been after him for a while to do an ACTH test to be sure we have the Cushings under control before we begin seasonal rise.  Pony is shedding (although his coat is still thick and curly and shedding uneven and blotchy), seems to have recovered completely from a nasty founder last year (Pony runs around the paddock, bucks, no indication of pain, no heat, no pulses, farrier loves his feet).  His weight is good, no crest, no pads above eyes, etc.  Vet says there is a NEW cushings test, easier to do than the ACTH test.  But he couldn't/wouldn't/didn't take the time on the phone to walk me through it.  He hates the dex suppression test, so I'm pretty sure that's not it.  Any ideas, so I can ask appropriate questions and not just stammer?  Thanks so much.

Susan with Pony, Chicago, member since (I think) 2003

Nancy C

Hi Susan

He's very likely thinking of the TRH.  It's not new but the protocol to push the test is.  Click on this lovely yahoo ad to get to past discussions on eh subject.  The concern is higher sensitivity which *may* lead to more horses being diagnosed.  As with any testing, IMO, the need is to look at symptoms and lab work.

With a case history we could give you more help.

Yahoo Groups

To know what your vet is reading make sure you read

New diagnostic protocols for PPID in horses

Good luck tomorrow.

Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
http://ecirhorse.org/index.php/equine-cushing-s-and-insulin-resistance-group-inc

---In EquineCushings@..., <szingle@...> wrote :

My vet is coming tomorrow morning.  I've been after him for a while to do an ACTH test to be sure we have the Cushings under control before we begin seasonal rise.

Susan with Pony, Chicago, member since (I think) 2003

Nancy C

Hi Susan

Was reading the TRH info again and want to bring this to your attention

At present, the TRH stimulation test should only be used between December and June, which is the only period in which cut-off values have been established.

Cut off values IMO can have a huge variable depending on what horses  - age, Dx, PPID status, total number, controls, etc.., - were used to establish the recommended cut off value.

The devil is in the details.  Why we are such sticklers for a case history.

---In EquineCushings@..., <threecatfarm@...> wrote :

Hi Susan

He's very likely thinking of the TRH.

Pauli432 . <jannepauli@...>

Dear Nancy,

is there any evidence that the TRH test is safe/ unsafe for PPID/IR horses with possible Low Grade Laminitis?

Marianne/The Netherlands
EC 2011

[...]

Hi Marianne

In all the discussion we've had on TRH, risk potential has not been identified such as with the Dex Suppression test.

This link is another good one to understand what is being recommended to your vet.

I still can't help but wonder how results from different labs could impact these tests.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/eve.12130/full