Hay testing help

Joyce/K-J Hollow Andalusians

Could someone please look at the hay testing results and let me know what the total sugar are. I know they are suppose to be less than 10%, but I am not sure how to read this.

Thank you,
Joyce Firkus- Minnesota
Helping a friend, who's mare foundered. The horse is located in SD.

palomino.1982@...

Hi Joyce-

As far as the 2 hay analysis:

Bag1-Alfalfa mix:
ESC ( sugar ) 9.4
Starch 1.1

Add together and you have over 10% ESC+Starch= 10.5%  Would say DO NOT FEED to a foundered horse.

Bag 2 analysis:
ESC 4.8%
Starch: 0.7

ESC + Starch=5.5%.. This is good to feed

However, the hay needs to be balanced with appropriate minerals.

Has your friend with this foundered horse joined the group for help?  Hard for us to REALLY be of beneficial help without seeing a bigger picture ( age/breed/ xrays/hoof photos/diet)

Is SD ~ S. Dakota or San Diego?

Susan
EC Primary Response
Oceanside, CA 2007

Joyce/K-J Hollow Andalusians

Thank you Susan. The horse is in South Dakota.  I have been trying to get her to join, but haven't had much luck. I will send on the information, and hopefully open the door for a change of mind.

Thanks again,
Joyce - Minnesota

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Joyce,

Just to add to Susan's response - we do not recommend alfalfa at all as many horses become footsore on it even when the ESC + Starch is well under 10%. Esp would not use it with a foundered horse.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team