Antibiotics

Sue

What is the protocol for antibiotic use with IR/PPID horses?  Are there certain antibiotics to avoid and others that are safe?  I couldn't find any recommendations in the files, maybe I missed it.

Also, what pain/anti-inflamatory are safe for a horse that has had a bad reaction to Bute ( Kidney failure).  I did read the file on the subject but only found what not to use, nothing that I could use.

Thanks

Sue and Busy
Kingston, ON
October 2010

Nancy C

Hi Sue

It would be helpful to know what you need it for.  use in an abscess is would be different from a lung or nasal infection or from lyme.

Phytoquench (Uckele) has been used by many for pain. Again, more details would help.

Nancy C in NH
www.ECIRhorse.org
Check out the FACTS on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup
Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance Group Inc.

---In EquineCushings@..., <suedhall@...> wrote :

What is the protocol for antibiotic use with IR/PPID horses?

Sue

Hi Nancy,

I am putting together a list of medications and herbal to keep at the barn.  If I do need to call the vet or if something like mineral blocks creeps into the barn I just would like to have an immediate reference on hand instead of going home and looking things up then.  Thankfully I don't need anything at the moment knock on wood, but with Busy's high numbers and the high sugar hay that is coming in nowis a worry, I need to be prepared for Busy's sake.  Really the anti-inflamatory and pain medication are the biggest concern.

Sue and Busy
Kingston, ON
October 2010