Soy Hulls Availability?

Sue

So if Masterfeeds is polluting our soy hulls with corn, is there another company even in Northern New York State that has soy hulls?

Feedstore to your Door sells them but they are in Alberta and she said that she ships a pallet at a time!

She suggested that I contact her supplier , Otter Co-Op in Abbotsford  BC!

I will keep looking!

Sue and Busy
Kingston, ON
October 2010

Lorna Cane

Hi Sue,

>So if Masterfeeds is polluting our soy hulls with corn, is there another company even in Northern New York State that has soy hulls?

From my earlier message, MF says:

"I usually never recommend bagged ingredients usually because they are used by our mills for some of our products but are not quality controlled from our suppliers. That is why when you receive soya hull pellets there is not a proper tag on them with garenteed percent analysis. The other thing is we do not test this product for quality control to general public".

I take from this that MF does not feel responsible for the quality of this product from their suppliers.

I have not had one bag (I get/used to get 9-11 bags at a time) in the last maybe 6 months without any corn in it. In fact, each cup of pellets (now mostly powder) usually contains at least 3 kernels. One of my boys gets/used to get 12 pounds a day of the stuff. Others used to get only about 3 pounds a day. All are IR.
There are also  seeds of some sort in the product, plus dark pellets,as in brownish black.Not a lot of those,but I just want soy hull pellets. I have kept it all.
It used to be a clean product.They must have changed suppliers,but that doesn't help my horses.

I may have to go back to the more expensive beet pulp shreds.

Looking for a company interested in quality control.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Sue

Hi Lorna,

Are the beet pulp shreds, no molasses okay to use instead of the soy hulls?
Do they have more sugars and starches or are they the same?

Sue and Busy
Kingston, ON
October 2010

Lorna Cane

Hi Sue,

Now I'm conversing with myself.

From my earlier message, MF says:

"I usually never recommend bagged ingredients usually because they are used by our mills for some of our products but are not quality controlled from our suppliers. That is why when you receive soya hull pellets there is not a proper tag on them with garenteed percent analysis. The other thing is we do not test this product for quality control to general public".

In fact,the spokeswoman for Masterfeeds is wrong again.

According to the tag on the bag the Guaranteed Analysis is Crude Protein (Min %) 8.00, Crude Fibre (Max %)  40.00, Moisture (Max %) 13.00

INGREDIENTS: Soybean Hulls

No mention of corn,various seeds and other 'things'.

I'm going to point that out to her,when I tell her I now have over 1 pound of kernels,seeds,etc saved. And that we are still searching for another company.

Aurelio? You reading? I know you would have a clean product,if you carried it.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

Lorna Cane

Hi Sue,

Sorry.I don't have time to look up the analyses,but have done so before.
Equianalytical site would give an idea.

Profiles are very similar,and we are comfortable recommending them.

Lorna in Ontario,Canada
ECIR Moderator 2002
*See What Works in Equine Nutrition*

https://www.facebook.com/ECIRGroup

gentpony

Hi Lorna,

Don’t know if this is helpful at all:

Roughly 7 years ago, while at a trade show, I saw soy hull pellets at the Agribrands Purina booth. However, last summer, when we contacted every feed store we could find in the area and beyond, looking for soy  them, no one had even heard of them, including the Purina stores.

The Purina rep who was recommending them at the show was Marc-Andre Blouin, Equine Technical Services Manager, Agribrands Purina Canada.

 You might try contacting him, as he should remember having them, and might know if there was a current source.   Sorry can’t find his current direct contact information….

http://equipurina.ca/eq/en/contact-us2/meet-the-team/

Eva

SW Ontario, far to the west of GTA

March 2005