Bounce - blood test results

Ruth Vale

I have added the most blood test recent results for Bounce to the case history file. He's looking good, interested in life and no abscess since February.

Currently on 3.5 lbs of Brooks Un-ti (minimum maintenance ration) to which I've added 1/2 fresh ground flax, 1/2 tsp iodized salt, 1/2 tsp magnesium oxide and VitE capsules. He is on dry lot and is not hand grazed on the green stuff. I'm waiting for the BO to provide information on the hay testing and will update the case history file (I don't have MS Word on this machine so it is a big hassle and a long story). Remember that this horse hasn't given me much of an obvious hint except the abscessing and general depression. I have to buy the feed in addition to the board bill, so I'm looking to cut where I can - is the Vit E supplement still advised? Rest of the supplement is cheap so no issues. Readings all look great except Leptin is slightly elevated.

Glucose : 91 mg/dL (reference range 71-113)
ACTH Baseline : 18.1 pg/mL (reference range 9-35) - non-fasting
Insulin Baseline : 8.46 uIU/mL (reference range 10-40)
Leptin Baseline : 5.16 ng/mL (reference range 1-4)
T4 (Thyroxine) Baseline : 2.48 ug/dL (reference range 0.85-2.4)

Vet advises that: "slightly elevated leptin is enough to keep us watchful of him. Insulin resistance or not, he is a very efficient metabolizing horse" There has been no evidence of abscessing since February 2014. He likes the new feed and he continues in the dry lot with no hand grazing allowed and regular exercise 3-5 days/week - mostly hacking and light schooling for about 20 min to an hour, increasing as we both get fitter. He was tested in February, this one was drawn on June 11. He was on pergolide last winter as a precaution. My thought is that if we are going to have trouble again it will be over the next six months.

Trimmer keeps making reference to the "stretched laminae" in his feed, but the sole meets the hoof wall and an obvious mustang roll is developing. Heel on front right is still growing out from that last abscess which really blew it apart. He shows tender footed on course gravel occasionally but not like last summer.

Can someone give me the Coles Notes on what exactly what "stretched laminae" is and advise whether my guess that we managed to escape a founder in 2013 is correct? I'll get new pics of his feet and post them. Is he still at risk (to what degree?) for founder? Would you advise continuing on the same regime or make any changes?

Ruth and Bounce
Ontario Canada
joined 2013

Case History - Ontario, Canada/2014-07-12 Bounce_bloodwork.pdf
Description : Round 2 of blood testing, sample drawn June 11, 2014. Symptoms have diminished - no evidence of abscessing since Feb 2014.

gentpony

Hi Ruth,

Looking at your blood test results, I noticed that for both Feb and June, your samples arrived at Guelph already thawed—see top of the page, “Specimen(s) received:”

     In the 8 years we have been sending frozen specimens for ACTH over a much longer distance, we have not had any such reports of thawed samples using the free Purolator courier.

Is your vet freezing the samples overnight and sending with frozen ice packs, with the whole bundle wrapped in newspaper? See Step 4 for preparing specimens for shipping:

http://www.guelphlabservices.com/AHL/SubmitSpecimens.aspx

Alton is very close to Guelph, and in my opinion, the June sample should not have taken 2 days to arrive.  Also odd for the overnight samples to thaw in February.

The thawed samples then needed to be sent on to Cornell.  I would have more questions about the sample handling: What day did Guelph forward the samples?  Did Guelph refreeze the sample, or just sent it chilled? What effect would this have on the Cornell results?

Thurs Feb 27 thawed sample arrives at Guelph-ACTH...Mon Mar 3 sample analyzed at Cornell –insulin, leptin

Fri June 13 thawed sample arrives Guelph…Thurs June 19 sample analyzed at Cornell – ACTH, insulin, leptin

When we have needed samples forwarded to another lab (KSU or Cornell), we have driven the frozen samples directly to Guelph (wrapped in ice packs and newspapers and placed in a cooler), to be certain they arrive in good condition.  This is over 6 hours of driving round trip for us.  With my vet’s agreement to save his time, I called Dr Jim Fairles in advance and made arrangements for our samples to be held in Guelph’s freezer for the weekend, then sent out on Monday.

Eva

SW Ontario

Mar 2005

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Ruth,

This is the second time I'm trying to reply  - hope Neo lets it post.

Agree completely with Eva on the possible issues with the samples being thawed and the time lapses between sending and receipt of the samples. This calls all the results into question as these are issues that could result in the actual numbers being higher than the tests would indicate.

The most recent testing shows all the values have gone up from when the tests were done in Feb, which is troubling. The Leptin stayed about the same. Both sets of numbers calculate that Bounce is technically not IR, which is great, but as there is some question about the handling of the samples it would make sense to be cautious. The Leptin  value says he is IR at baseline, which means that his work load and diet are the only things keeping him from becoming overtly IR and at risk for more laminitis. This is no surprise as he is a Lippitt Morgan.

The Brooks Un-Ti is not a suitable feed for him. It has an extremely high fat content of 10% (yikes!) that is of the wrong type and protein on the high side at 12%. Cannot seem to find an actual ingredient list for it, however. Better choices would be Ontario Dehy Balanced Timothy Cubes, soy hull pellets or r/s/r beet pulp as carriers for his supplements. He doesn't need 3.5lbs of a hard feed, esp of this type. Also needs at least 2 TBS of iodized salt daily and minerals properly balanced to the major portion of his diet - his hay.

The stretched lamina means that there has been an assault to the tissues that connect the hoof wall to the coffin bone. This connection point is probably wider than it should be. The new hoof wall growing in directly below the coronary band may be coming in at a steeper angle than the older growth down below. It would point to here having been some rotation/founder occurring. The trim needs to address this if it exists. Can't be more specific without seeing current hoof pics.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut
Jan 05, RI
EC Support Team