Surpass recall update - Boehringer unresponsive

Joan and Dazzle

On June 26th, I posted the information below regarding the recall of Surpass.

My vet had informed me that he had received notification from his pharmaceutical supplier that there was this recall. There was no way to determine who received the Surpass from the lot that had an improper amount of phospholipid content.

I was one of those that had received the Surpass from this lot, as was another person from our barn.

My vet contacted his pharmaceutical supplier who originally notified him. They informed him that he would have to contact Boehringer directly. He called Boehringer, was transferred repeatedly, placed on hold, then after an hour, they hung up on him. He has since tried 3 more times to get in touch with Boehringer, but has been unsuccessful.

I am appalled that Boehringer has put my horse's welfare in danger, has never implemented a tracking system of who has received which lot numbers, and has made it impossible to contact them to correct their error.

This is not the first time that they have had issues:

This is the same Boehringer that manufactures and markets Prascend (the brand name for their pergolide).

I just wanted to give everyone an update. I never thought that *I* would personally have a horse product that would be recalled. I must say that I am very disappointed in Boehringer and how this is being handled.

Buyer beware.

Joan and Dazzle
Anaheim, CA 2006

******************

Post from June 26th:
I received this announcement today:

"Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica, Inc. is initiating a recall of one lot
#130502 of Surpass Cream (124 gram tube). This recall is being initiated as
a result of an out of specification result related to phospholipid content
testing. Phospholipid is an excipient in the product formulation to enhance
the skin permeation of the active ingredient, diclofenac. This recall is
specific to Surpass Cream, lot 130502 *only* and has *no* effect on other
lots of this product.

Product: Surpass Cream (124 gram Tube)

Lot: 130502

This recall is being made with the knowledge of the United States Food and
Drug Administration. We appreciate your assistance in this recall and
apologize for any inconvenience."

If you have purchased Surpass Cream, please check your lot numbers. If you
find that you have cream from the affected lot, please contact the person
from whom you purchased it, or contact Boehringer directly.

Joan and Dazzle

GS