Round Bale Feeding for questionable IR horse

kansteen5545@...

Hello -
I'm looking into moving my mare to a new barn. She has foundered twice - bloodwork does not really show IR or Cushings but she has always been an easy keeper - has a crest that has never really disappeared even though now on a regulated diet and I would say a "5" on body score.
There are 2 barns I am considering.
One has a large, mostly grass-free pasture, where my mare would be out with 3 other horses - older geldings. They are on round bales during the day and stalled at night. My question here is: Do you think that this is safe for a questionable IR horse. Last winter I was caring for her myself and was feeding 4- square bale flakes in the AM, 2 at noon and 4 at night - with this, and just enough hay pellets to put minerals in, I was able to keep her in good weight through the winter. Which makes me wonder if she would then be O.K. on a round bale during the day if she was stalled at night.
The other barn has a post-foundered pony that my mare could be in with and would be fed flakes of hay - my concern there would be that the pony would scarf up my mare's hay and she would loose weight - this happened to her once before.
Which sounds better - or does neither sound good. The person at the second barn could possible fence off a smaller place for my mare, but then she would not have much room to move around.
Neither place has shelter when out but at the second barn the horses are in during the day in summer and out at night - the opposite during the winter. The first barn is very big the second barn is smaller - as far as numbers of horses.
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Karen
Scarborough, ME
May 2014

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Karen,

Per the blood work in your case history, your girl's insulin was 18.42 in June. When plugged into the IR calculator this comes up as compensated IR. There is no question she is IR, just the degree to which she is affected. Look here for the formula:

Her ACTH was 35.9 in June, which is above the normal range at a time when she should have had a value somewhere in the mid-twenties or lower. This makes her PPID positive although it looks like it might be in its beginning stages. She should be on pergolide.

My concerns with the barn with the round bale are that round bales can be dangerous for horses to consume as there is more of a chance for botulism. In her case the unrestricted eating could also be an issue. Having managed several barns in the past, I would also be concerned about turning one mare out with several geldings as this can be an unsafe situation for all concerned. One gelding with multiple mares is an entirely different dynamic.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

http://www.freil.com/~mlf/IR/ir.html

Her ACTH was 35.9 in June, which is above the normal range at a time when she should have had a value somewhere in the mid-twenties or lower. This makes her PPID positive although it looks like it might be in its beginning stages. She should be on pergolide.

My concerns with the barn with the round bale are that round bales can be dangerous for horses to consume as there is more of a chance for botulism. In her case the unrestricted eating could also be an issue. Having managed several barns in the past, I would also be concerned about turning one mare out with several geldings as this can be an unsafe situation for all concerned. One gelding with multiple mares is an entirely different dynamic.

The other barn with the pony for company may be safer. Maybe you could have all the hay fed in small mesh hay nets hung around the turnout so the pony couldn't hog all the hay?

Would you be able to get the hay analyzed in either situation so you'd know whether it is safe to feed unsoaked or not?

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut

Jan 05, RI

EC Support Team

karen ansteensen <kansteen5545@...>

Thank you Lavinia -
    I was wondering about the dynamics of more than one gelding with my mare - I think I will rule this barn out.  That's the kind of input I was looking for.  It's hard to find a barn around here that doesn't feed round bales.  That and there's just too much grass around.  We came from Arizona a couple of years ago - lots easier to take care of my horse there.
    Should I get another ACTH in Aug to see how much it rises?
Karen
Scarborough,ME
May 2014