WAS: New Member From Colorado, NOW: Abcess Question

Suzanne Mansolilli

Hi all,

Shortly after my introduction posts and uploaded case history and photos, but before I got my blood work done, Monty had an abscess burst (about a week ago) at his coronary band. A little gunk comes out of the bottom of the foot along the edges of the frog as well as at the lesion at the coronary band.  The vet recommended to keep the bottom of the hoof and the coronary band wrapped with Animalintex poultice followed by Vetrap, boot and pad for about a week.  It has now been a week as of tomorrow, but I was just talking with a friend whose vet suggested antibiotics when her horse abscessed.  Do you recommend antibiotics to ensure it doesn't return?  And how long should I wait to do the ACTH, I/G and Leptin bloodwork?

Thanks,

SuzanneM and Monty

Western Colorado -- July, 2014

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Suzanne,

Once the abscess bursts, the horse is usually much sounder. If Monty is comfortable then you can do your blood work now. Would suggest you continue using the animalintex pads/boots until there is no more exudate coming from the hoof.

An abscess inside the hoof capsule is extremely difficult to get any antibiotics into as generally, it is found within the non-vascularized tissues. It is the body's way of expelling necrotic tissue/foreign bodies. If all the material causing the abscess has been expelled then there won't be a recurrence of the abscess. Giving NSAIDs and/or antibiotics can actually backfire as it can slow down the maturation and expulsion processes, leading to longer abscess times and/or future bouts of abscessing. Unless there is an active infection, antibiotics aren't needed. If there IS an infection, then Lower Limb Perfusion would be the preferred route to make sure the antibiotics get to the site of the infection in amounts that are concentrated enough to do the job properly.

With rotation/founder, esp if it has been a long-term process, it is likely that abscessing will be a part of the healing process as the trim is adjusted to realign the hoof capsule with the coffin bone to allow and encourage solid attachment. As the hoof capsule changes shape and the horse's movement changes, this puts pressure onto different structures and squeezes any materials hiding within the foot to the surface so they can be eliminated. as painful as this is to the horse (and the owner to watch) it is a good thing.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut

Jan05, RI

EC Support Team

Suzanne Mansolilli

Thanks for clarifying, Lavinia.

Regarding the blood test, in reviewing Cornell's current Test and Fee Schedule, which tests should I request?  I was originally advised by Mandy to get "ACTH, Insulin/Glucose/Leptin".  However, I see ACTH bundled with Insulin and Leptin. Does this include Glucose, or do I choose that as a separate test?

Here's the link to their Test and Fee Schedule:

Please advise!

Thnx,
PS any help on "trimming" your above reply to me would be appreciated. When I try to delete parts of your message, my whole post gets deleted.  Step-by-step instructions are what I need, please.

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Suzanne,

Choose the bundled ACTH/Insulin/Leptin test then add serum Glucose as a separate test. It is done by a different part of the lab so needs to be specifically added.
Ah yes, trimming. Another function that Neo has made into an enormous pain. When the reply box opens, there is a small note in the bottom left corner that says "show message history". Click on it and the post you are replying to appears below where you are typing your reply. Once you have your reply finished, highlight all the excess material and then delete it. Sometimes, if there is a link in the text you are trying to highlight, Yahoo will delete your entire post when your cursor goes over the link and send you back to square one. Very helpful - NOT!!