ACTH results

EquusSavvy@...

McKenna's ACTH results August 2014: 191pp/mg

What is the recommended dosage of precend?

Maureen and McKenna

ECIR May 2014

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Maureen,

How is McKenna doing? Here is the link to her case history. It helps us enormously when you include it with your posts:

It appears that she is currently on .5mg of pergolide - is that correct? What form is this in - liquid/ powder/capsule/? Has she had any previous testing for PPID? We recommend tapering up to the required dose. As we are just starting the seasonal rise period it is likely she will need an escalating dose at first to both control the currently high level and control the escalating level due to the rise. Have a read here on our informational website for more detailed info:

http://www.ecirhorse.org/

Ask that you add your general location to your signature so that we can give you more appropriate, localized info. Appreciate your help with this.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut

Jan 05, RI

EC Support Team

EquusSavvy@...

Her Vet will call me tomorrow. McK is doing ok... She walks without limping or overt touchiness barefoot with every 4 wk trims. The heat is depleting every ounce of energy in her. Yesterday on the way back from her two hour pasture time. She actually got a touch wobbly. Cold showered her immediately. Stalls and fans through this 100 degree weather stretch. I tried to up load the Cornell report... May I send it to one of your emails?
Maureen and McKenna
May 12 2014 Austin TX

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Maureen,

Yes, you can send it to me.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut

Jan 05, RI

EC Support Team

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Maureen,

Is she sweating? If not, she could be anhidrotic and overheating so that could lead to the wobbly walk.

How much loose, plain salt is she getting in her daily feed? With the heat she will have an increased need for it to supplement losses in sweat and to encourage drinking so she doesn't get dehydrated.

Cold hosing and fans are good.

Lavinia, Dante, George Too and Peanut

Jan 05, RI

EC Support Team

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Maureen,

Glad to hear she is feeling better. The lingering soreness could be due to the uncontrolled PPID, IR, trim or a combination of all of theses. I posted the Cornell results in McKenna's file:

Did you also request Glucose, as that was not included? The dates on the report say the blood was drawn on 8/5 (Tues) but not received until 8/8 (Fri). Do you know when the sample was shipped?

When you plug her insulin value into the IR calculator McKenna comes up severe IR, laminitis risk. Check out the calculator here:

http://www.freil.com/~mlf/IR/ir.html

With that ACTH she needs to start/increase her pergolide dose. How much will depend on the form and whether she is already on the drug or not. We recommend compounded capsules. I would plan on at least a 2mg dose as you are battling the seasonal rise effects now as well as where the ACTH was already at. Need to titrate up to that dosage.

Can you post some current hoof pics for her?